What's new

Dubai in 1980's?

I think it depends on the education, I know some western educated Pakistanis who went to dubai and got very high salaries, at least compared to the people who were educated in pakistan. There is discrimination, but I think it has more to do with where you were educated rather than on racial lines.

One of the problems with Dubai I find is that they have a lot of low class indians and pakistanis there which create huge problems and give us a bad name.

As for the 80's Dubai I really miss it, Back then the only busy areas were central Deira and Central Bur Dubai, other then that the whole city was spread out and we could drive for miles on lonely roads along the beach, Dubai is missing that charm now

Grown up in Dubai... 80s to the Present. Not in some posh place like Jumeira though.

Nice pictures - if only the roads you showed were as empty as they were then.

I avoid going there at all costs.

The city has not lost its soul, but back then we Pakistanis got the best jobs and today the Americas/British get them. So they are still enjoying the free villas, with all the amneties and everything. For most of us its a struggle making ends meet.

The job market is very racial and hence Pakistanis don't normally stand a chance.

which area did you live? most of my friends lived in Deira because I went to a school in that area

One of the problems with Dubai I find is that they have a lot of low class indians and pakistanis there which create huge problems and give us a bad name................

Pardon me, but your own biases are showing too! :D

maybe it was the heat that made me hate it.. anyways, keep aside my personal judgement, it is indeed laudable the prince there is trying to do something different compared to other emirates and gulf sheikdoms.
But yes, i was genuinely irritated by the fact that the white man could get away with anything.the hierarchy order is..
emirati, white (from UK , US), white (s african), white (other european), southasian muslim businessmen, southasian professional, muslim workers, other workers (includes filipino, indian hindus etc)
but since i stayed for only about 3 - 4 months some of my impressions may be situational and incomplete.
when you say it starts with lower grade , can you cite eg. from what i saw the lower grade indian crowd do not get much of a chance to interact with others.. eg, lets keep out construction workers and the like.. the only place where they may have contact with white/arab aybe upmarket restaurants/hotel;s/resorts. there they just service the money IMO. would like to know your more.

Average experienced guy would be making like 10-15k/mo. Some lucky ones would hit 25k. Average white guy would start with 30-35 and no upwards limit, could be 100k too.

I'm talking about experienced professionals in their fields all qualified for the position.

as asim said

take an example of pakistani and a western doctor

a doctor from the west will get a starting pay from atleast 35k and beyond 50k as well

a experienced pakistan doctor at max will get 15-20k.and stop at 30k max(though exceptional case only)

I think it depends on the education, I know some western educated Pakistanis who went to dubai and got very high salaries, at least compared to the people who were educated in pakistan. There is discrimination, but I think it has more to do with where you were educated rather than on racial lines.

One of the problems with Dubai I find is that they have a lot of low class indians and pakistanis there which create huge problems and give us a bad name.

As for the 80's Dubai I really miss it, Back then the only busy areas were central Deira and Central Bur Dubai, other then that the whole city was spread out and we could drive for miles on lonely roads along the beach, Dubai is missing that charm now

See if you are educated thats fine, it gives you an edge when you are starting off - no one really cares about your degree when you are 10 years into the field, then they look at your experience, your past record, how well you give the interview, etc.

I don't know about low class, unless you are talking about the laborer, who lets face it has a place in society too, who would do all the menial work if all you had were rich people and they are paid like ****. They give them food and living quarters (which are crappy) and then kill them on the salary which is literally 500/mo. When they do Forex conversion its still slightly more than what they would make at home and they are so desperate for money they would still do it.

Still not fair considering the amount of money that is earned off of their backs.

If money distribution was more equitable (I don't mean handouts, but at a certain level capitalism excuse can't fly, its just a big kabal of rich people getting together to screw over the poor), these problems won't exist.

The charm is still there, you just can't afford it. Nowadays you don't go to the beach, you own a beachside property on the Palm and have a stretch of the beach for yourself!

If you can afford the luxuries here, there is no end to what you can do here.

1988 was a such a good year for me in Dubai, many memories from that year

dubai 1988

1988-12-12_006_abu_dhabi_001.jpg

1988-12-10_007_dubai_creek_015.jpg

This was my school for a while, back in 1984-1985, look how close it is to the blue beach:

school1985.1.jpg

^ this area today has totally changed, with hardly any free space left

Its off topic but is it true that for the same job,americans/british get paid more than Indian/Pakistani..?

Yes it is. Job market is highly leaned towards whites. Some ads sound pretty funny , instance - ".....candidate with western outlook"

Asim: I wonder how the following experiences that you describe while growing up have formed your present opinions?

I don't know, I like to think I didn't "join em", just cause I couldn't beat em. I have had 2 jobs so far in Dubai, and both I got through the regular interview way - no wasta. You can imagine living here all my life where wasta is everything, I could've pulled some strings for myself. Sort of proud of it, then sort of bitter about it too, whenever I see a good for nothing individual get ahead on nepotism/wasta/money. Its mixed feelings. Now that I'm at that stage in life which baray buzurg call the "real life", idealism alone does not pay the bills.

I've been fortunate enough to have excellent parents who taught me right from wrong, but I can easily see this cut throat environment producing materialistic individuals who don't even realize that there is something wrong in what they are doing. But let me tell you - I like Dubai, I wish I could fix the problems I see, not just complain about them.

I don't know, I like to think I didn't "join em", just cause I couldn't beat em. I have had 2 jobs so far in Dubai, and both I got through the regular interview way - no wasta. You can imagine living here all my life where wasta is everything, I could've pulled some strings for myself. Sort of proud of it, then sort of bitter about it too, whenever I see a good for nothing individual get ahead on nepotism/wasta/money. Its mixed feelings. Now that I'm at that stage in life which baray buzurg call the "real life", idealism alone does not pay the bills.

I've been fortunate enough to have excellent parents who taught me right from wrong, but I can easily see this cut throat environment producing materialistic individuals who don't even realize that there is something wrong in what they are doing. But let me tell you - I like Dubai, I wish I could fix the problems I see, not just complain about them.

Thank you for the answer.

Would you consider yourself a dual national by now, at least in spirit if not officially?

I lived in Abu dhabi in the 80's. it was very nice. Dubai was much smaller back then, and no skyscraperss

as asim said

take an example of pakistani and a western doctor

a doctor from the west will get a starting pay from atleast 35k and beyond 50k as well

a experienced pakistan doctor at max will get 15-20k.and stop at 30k max(though exceptional case only)

Wtf, that's so fucked up..

^ it has to go with education, they prefer western education, and 15-20k is still 10 times more what the doctors will earn in Pakistan

it maybe unfair, but overall Dubai is still a heaven for many Pakistani and Indians, thats why everyone comes here in droves. 60% of Dubai is south asian

Back
Top Bottom