What's new

Drones have made their way Into Pashto love poems

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistani victims of a U.S. drone strike

ISLAMABAD—In Pakistan's northwest tribal region, where drones hum overhead and militants hide, this is romantic: "I am looking for you like a drone, my love," a verse of a local folk poem says. "You have become Osama, no one knows your whereabouts."

When Americans talk about drones, they envision terrorist targets in faraway lands. When Washington pundits talk about drones, they question whether push-button combat impedes intelligence-gathering or if civilians are accidental casualties.

But for those who live in the areas bombarded by armed drones, shadowy U.S. warfare has infected culture. Drones, reported to have killed at least 2,500 people in Pakistan alone, are featured in the music and poetry created there.

An Islamabad-based research group tracked the impact of the war on terrorism on Pashto literature and art in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, speaking with artists, poets, and literary figures to illustrate the cultural transformation since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"As a war was initiated on the soil of Pashtuns almost immediately ... the bloodshed, bomb blasts, drone attacks, and aerial firing compelled writers to forget evergreen topics of love, romance, and nature," said the FATA Research Center's March report. "The violent circumstances that rose from the ashes of 9/11 compelled Pashto literati to write about broken families, severed limbs … rather than silky curls and rosy cheeks of their beloveds."

Those traditional, flowery images are sometimes combined with the war machines in art. A popular Pashto singer, Sitara Younis sings: "The touch of my lips sweeten words. Intoxicating as wine are my looks. My gaze is as fatal as a drone attack."

Younis's popular songs play on the radio and at weddings. Her other hit has an even darker theme: "Don't chase me, I'm a trick," she sings, warning a man to keep his distance. "I'm a suicide bomb."

The violence in art reflects how dramatically life has changed in the tribal areas over the last decade. Average Pashtuns, the report found, now understand the meaning of English words such as "drone," "terrorist," and "suicide blast." Children reference the Taliban and the Army in games. Many families were too afraid to invite guests to their homes after the drone campaign began for fear they could not protect them, says Irfan Uddin, a FATA Center researcher.

Some artists refer specifically to the Taliban as intended targets of the U.S. strikes. "Your eyes are no less than a drone," one poem reads. "They turned me into ashes, as I was facing them like a member of the Taliban."

A Pashto singer, Nazia Iqbal, highlights those feelings of helplessness in her poems: "My love, you are far away from me, and these drones will target you. I am helpless and can't stop them, and my tears are dropping from my eyes as if water is dropping from a spring."

I seriously don't know how to respond this. This surely makes me sad.

What is the most effective or accurate way(less collateral damage) of fighting/killing someone like terrorists of TTP in North waziristaan which has become a refugee and training ground for militants to launch attacks?

So them people are in love with drones, why put the picture, seems out of place.

Too bad Tchaikovsky is dead...drones could make an interesting backdrop during the Nutcracker Waltz.
http://rt.com/files/news/20/f6/80/00/****-1.jpg

I wish not for your children to drawn this... but always remember Karma is a bitch !

pakistan government has totally raped the FATA region to be very honest, it is not because of yahud o hanud conspiracy, the region has been governed like a colony since 65 years, FATA reforms committee is doing a good job, making awareness about FATA rights, hope soon FATA formally made a pakistani province with all powers and everything, drones are because the region has become lawless, where talibans can easily occupy and chop heads and play football with it, where osama can easily disappear where the jirga replaces the courts

we have been treating FATA people like animals, no developments, no amenities, nothing

that being said, the OP made me laugh

pakistan government has totally raped the FATA region to be very honest, it is not because of yahud o hanud conspiracy, the region has been governed like a colony since 65 years, FATA reforms committee is doing a good job, making awareness about FATA rights, hope soon FATA formally made a pakistani province with all powers and everything, drones are because the region has become lawless, where talibans can easily occupy and chop heads and play football with it, where osama can easily disappear where the jirga replaces the courts

100% truth, i agree with you. i think FATA is not a part of PAKISTAN it is in paper only, I salute to the people of FATA still they support us and feel proud being a Pakistani.

we have been treating FATA people like animals, no developments, no amenities, nothing

No development since its birth no interest of any political leader, Practical ground for PAK ARMY shelling, PAF fighter jets strikes along with DRONES.

some time i feel shame as a Pakistani as we killing our people directly and indirectly ( US DRONES).

@Aeronaut @Oscar .

The biggest failure is from the different governments. Why didn't they turn FATA into a province with elected assembly and its own funds?
Poor, socially backward and neglected areas are a magnet for extremist ideologies. There is a certain ideology in the Islamic world that thrives on conflicts and poverty.

So they also poems about playing football with human heads? or Rifles poems. Kalshinkove,
Drugs, destroying school etc?

Dollars. Each drone strike is carried out only with approval and permission of pak army. Fauji officers have become very rich in last ten years.
What kind of army sanctions the killing of its own people. This is so sad:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Back
Top Bottom