What's new

DRDO gears up for modern warfare

sudhir007

Reaction score
DRDO gears up for modern warfare - The Times of India

From the first test of Agni-V in a fortnight, an operational submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) by 2013 and a missile shield for Delhi by 2014 to combat drones, quick-launch micro satellites and Star Wars-like laser weapons in the coming years, DRDO promises to deliver on all fronts.

Defence Research and Development Organization, with its 51 labs, of course, often makes tall claims only to consistently overshoot timelines and cost estimates. But DRDO chief Dr V K Saraswat on Saturday, at the ongoing " DefExpo-2012" here, was all gung-ho about the tactical and strategic weapon systems in the pipeline.

For starters, India's most-ambitious nuclear missile, Agni-V, which classifies as an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) with a strike range of over 5,000-km, will be tested in mid-April, he said. India will break into the exclusive ICBM club that counts just US, Russia, China, France and UK as its members, once Agni-V is ready for induction by 2014-2015. The missile is crucial for India's nuclear deterrence posture since its strike envelope will be able to cover the whole of China.

Concurrently, said Saraswat, "The K-15 SLBM is now getting ready for the final phase of induction after its two recent tests were successful." The 750-km-range K-15 will arm India's homegrown nuclear submarines.

As for the two-tier ballistic missile defence system, designed to track and destroy incoming hostile missiles , Saraswat said its Phase-I would be completed by 2013 and Phase-II by 2016. DRDO is now also focusing on "space security'', with special emphasis on protecting the country's space assets from electronic, or physical destruction by "direct-ascent" missiles, in the backdrop of China developing advanced ASAT (anti-satellite) capabilities.

Work is also in progress to develop several directed energy weapons , including a 25-kilowatt laser system to destroy incoming missiles in their terminal stage and a 100-kilowatt solid-state laser system to take out missiles in their boost phase itself.

DRDO chief's must be stopped from giving any interview. I really respect their work but one should not give empty promises like this. First accomplish and then give interview.

DRDO should invest more in R&D section.we still lack some important gears like advanced rifles and SMGs.we lack night fighting capability.we lack good body armour,effective IFV,modern communication systems..F-INSAS is the future.they must implement it effectively.

wtf!! all his interviews start with quoting how many labs are there under DRDO (51). I must say this is a paltry no if at all DRDO wants to churn out world class products.

Atm, everything seems to be delayed and work seems to be done in traditional half a$$ed Indian manner :tdown:

DRDO should invest more in R&D section.we still lack some important gears like advanced rifles and SMGs.we lack night fighting capability.we lack good body armour,effective IFV,modern communication systems..F-INSAS is the future.they must implement it effectively.

Why do they have to develop everything huh??Do you know what was the sole purpose behind setting up of DRDO-to develop the technologies that are denied to India.BPJs or ARs don't fall in that category.
And who told you that they can't make a good firearm??What's wrong with INSAS??And as for BPJ,the TATA Advanced Material Limited produces world class BPJs,then what's the need to develop by DRDO.And don't forget,it was the DRDO which developed the best combat helmet in the world.

Why do they have to develop everything huh??Do you know what was the sole purpose behind setting up of DRDO-to develop the technologies that are denied to India.

thats a wrong concept.if they develop rifles and SMGs,it'll reduce cost and they can make this according to army's specification.

What's wrong with INSAS??

Army wants INSAS rifles replaced - Hindustan Times

and i mentioned body armour(bulletproof jacket)..me 2 like patka helmet.. :smitten:

thats a wrong concept.if they develop rifles and SMGs,it'll reduce cost and they can make this according to army's specification.

Army wants INSAS rifles replaced - Hindustan Times

and i mentioned body armour(bulletproof jacket)..me 2 like patka helmet.. :smitten:

Buddy,it's not right for me judge whether the concept is right or wrong.I just told you the purpose and how DRDO works.

Don't believe in our journos too much.All the problems wrt INSAS has been rectified far back and it now fairs very favourably with other assault rifles chambered for 5.56X45mm NATO rounds.

I know you mentioned only BPJ,I gave the example of Patka to show you that the capability to produce world class BPJs does exist with in DRDO but there is simply no need for that since an incountry private major like TATA is already producing them.You have to remember that DRDO gets very limited resources for R&D and the majority of India's work force is still unskilled.So there is absolutely no need to divert the scarce resources and man power to such projects;actually DRDO is already overburdened by so many projects (and doing very well).

^^^ patka
27uk.jpg

dsc03638da2.jpg

Why do they have to develop everything huh??Do you know what was the sole purpose behind setting up of DRDO-to develop the technologies that are denied to India.BPJs or ARs don't fall in that category.
And who told you that they can't make a good firearm??What's wrong with INSAS??And as for BPJ,the TATA Advanced Material Limited produces world class BPJs,then what's the need to develop by DRDO.And don't forget,it was the DRDO which developed the best combat helmet in the world.

Exactly..DRDO is involved in everything...

Where is our artillery gun DRDO? & we have startups like Kalyani Group promising world class gun bu 2014.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom