Country
Pakistan
Don't blackmail me into coming to Quetta, PM tells Hazara mourners

Promises to visit the Hazara community as soon as they bury the slain miners

Rizwan Shehzad January 08, 2021

prime minister imran khan photo screengrab

Prime Minister Imran Khan. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB
ISLAMABAD:
Prime Minister Imran Khan announced on Friday that he will not be blackmailed into coming to Quetta and would visit the mourners, including women and children, sitting along with bodies of 11 labourers in extreme weather conditions near the Western Bypass area close to Hazara Town only when they bury the dead.

The prime minister was of the view that linking the burial with his prior visit made no sense, adding that no one blackmails a sitting prime minister like this anywhere in the world.
“If this condition is accepted then everyone will blackmail the prime minister,” the premier said, adding that a gang of robbers – the opposition parties – is also trying to blackmail him for the last two-and-a-half years.

“If you bury the dead today, I assure you that I will visit Quetta today,” PM Imran announced while speaking as a chief guest at the launching ceremony of Special Technology Zones Authority in Islamabad.
The prime minister went on to add that all the demands of the bereaved families and people protesting in Quetta have already been accepted except the condition that they would bury the dead only when PM visits them.
“Do not put a condition that makes no sense,” Imran said.
In his speech, PM Imran once again accused India of spreading chaos in Pakistan, saying he has been saying it since March 2019 that “India is fully involved in spreading chaos” and wants to spread sectarian violence in the country.
He lauded the intelligence agencies for averting four major terrorism attacks since he has informed his cabinet and openly expressed about India’s involvement in terrorism activities in Pakistan.

Also Read: No decision yet on PM’s visit to Quetta

Armed attackers had slaughtered 11 miners near a mine site in Balochistan's Machh coalfield area on Sunday. The militant Islamic State group claimed the responsibility of the gruesome attack. Since then thousands of Hazaras have been protesting while sitting along with the coffins of their loved ones.
In his speech, PM Imran expressed that Hazara was the most targeted community in the country; he has visited them many times in the past and witnessed their fear, adding that “no community has been oppressed the way the Hazara community has been oppressed over the years.”

Deeming the murder of 11 coalminers brutal, he said, all this is part of the conspiracy hatched by India which has been highlighted many times since March. “It’s a big attempt to spread sectarian divide,” he maintained.
Expressing that the government was aware of the sufferings of the Hazara community, Imran said that he first sent the interior minister and later two other federal ministers to Quetta to tell the protestors that the government was with them and it will provide every kind of compensation as “bread earners” were killed in Machh, Balochistan.

Earlier, PM Imran took to micro-blogging site Twitter to reassure the Hazara families that he was “cognizant of their suffering and their demands” after they refused to end their protest until PM himself visits them and listens to their demands.
However, PM Imran has reiterated that the bereaved families should first bury their loved ones and only then he would visit them. The PTI-led coalition government has been feeling the heat of the Hazara community’s sit-in Quetta and seemed to be thrown on the defensive as it was repeatedly challenged by the opposition over its slow response to the massacre in Machh.

Imran Khan is over his head, and his attitude really comes out in this. He should go visit them, instead of meeting with actors from a Turkish Drama, so that he can be there in the Namaz-e-Jenazah and feel the pain that those people are feeling, maybe then he will take the worsening terrorism in Balochistan a little more seriously.

In New Zealand, the premier visits victims' families after the terrorist attack immediately. Expresses solidarity, and actually shows a reaction to deal with the terrorist attacks and curb hate crimes. But in Pakistan, the premier believes that the victims of terrorism are blackmailing the premier. Just wow.

Edit: A person who wants to establish a 'Riyasat-e-Medina,' but cannot even fathom what any of the four enlightened caliphs would have done in his position, that person is a joke and a complete joke.
Even more of a clown, if he believes that some poor people, from one of the most persecuted minorities in Pakistan, are playing politics and blackmailing, using their own loved ones bodies in the freezing cold temperature, the 'mighty premiere' who has better things to do, like, ironically, visit Ertugrul Drama actors.

Last edited:
He's talked himself into a lose-lose. This is going to be thoroughly unpopular but it's the right decision to make. If he meets this dumb demand today, will he attend every terror attack that happens? Will 112 be updated with an option to request the PM personally? W

The only positive he can do here is announce an operation against groups targeting the Hazara community, but I'm not sure the security forces want to be used as political candy.

He's talked himself into a lose-lose. This is going to be thoroughly unpopular but it's the right decision to make. If he meets this dumb demand today, will he attend every terror attack that happens? Will 112 be updated with an option to request the PM personally? W

The only positive he can do here is announce an operation against groups targeting the Hazara community, but I'm not sure the security forces want to be used as political candy.

You are right, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. The vultures will politicise this scenario and the dead will be humiliated more.

I am pretty sure someone from PPP or PMLn will be going there soon to fan the flames.

How many terrorist attacks on the Hazara community will it take for the Government to do something about it? They're doing good with this condition. It's not only the Hazara people who are falling victim to this terrorism but also FC Balochistan, and patriots.

Maybe if Imran Khan visited them, he would be more keen of doing something actionable in the region, because right now he clearly doesn't care and would rather exchange greetings with Turkish Actors while his dumb SCIENCE minister visits Turkey to see a Turkish Drama's stage.

They clearly don't care about Balochistan. And Imran Khan is so full of EGO for the little to no change he has brought, its something.

I feel sorry for the Hazaras they are a beautiful people with their culture and traditions making Pakistan more rich. Shame what the extremists have done.

Do you really know why Hazara shia muslims are precisely targeted ? Well for your information, Irani proxies over the last 15 years or so have exported countless Hazara shias from Afghanistan and Pakistan into Iraq and than Syria. This is precisely why sunni extremists groups like daesh targets their community here with time to time in a revenge. Though this doesn't the killings for even a second but there are many things at play.
Maybe if Imran Khan visited them, he would be more keen of doing something actionable in the region

their next demand will be a visit by army chief after next attack.

Hazara people will not find IK between them unless he is in opposition like 2013 demanding the then government to be removed and zardari should visit them..but now since he is PM this is aken to blackmailing ...feeling sorry for hazara people who have been target from last many years and state has not been serious for them...

Has everybody forgotten that the PM has a busy schedule to follow in a country full of issues that need resolving? No matter what twists and turns people try to pit in and spin this story, but he is absolutely right to promise the Hazara community a visit and to listen to their demands. At least he isn't begairat enough to politicise this tragedy and go there to do fake bereavement like other parties have done. The PM has a country to administer and so can't just go upon demand. It needs to be scheduled, security needs to me arranged etc...
Also, surely Islamically the dead should be burried ASAP and a unreasonable demand shouldn't be in the way of the people of Hazara burying their loved ones. The PM has promised them a visit and he will stick to it! You just can't hold a administration hostage like this....It makes no sense and benefits no one except the parties who want to play political point scoring at the expense of the nation!

Last edited:
Do you really know why Hazara shia muslims are precisely targeted ? Well for your information, Irani proxies over the last 15 years or so have exported countless Hazara shias from Afghanistan and Pakistan into Iraq and than Syria. This is precisely why sunni extremists groups like daesh targets their community here with time to time in a revenge. Though this doesn't the killings for even a second but there are many things at play.

Let me correct you.
If this was the damned Army Chief's family, he would be there within seconds, unconditionally. These are his priorities.

I know why, I never understood the sectarianism that exists in Pakistan and the Muslim world in general. You don't need external enemies when such divisions exists internally. Regardless its a waste of precious life to uphold some deluded fantasy of self righteousness.

Has everybody forgotten that the PM has a busy schedule to follow in a country full of issues that need resolving? No matter what twists and turns people try to pit in and spin this story, but he is absolutely right to promise the Hazara community a visit and to listen to their demands. At least he isn't begairat enough to politicise this tragedy and go there to do fake bereavement like other parties have done. The PM has a country to administer and so can't just go upon demand. It needs to be scheduled, security needs to me arranged etc...
Also, surely Islamically the dead should be burried ASAP and a unreasonable demand shouldn't be in the way of the people of Hazara burying their loved ones. The PM has promised them a visit and he will stick to it! You just can't hold a administration hostage like this....It makes no sense and benefits no one except the people who want to play political point scoring at the expense of the nation!

Yes, a very busy schedule. You can tell. The guy is so busy, he's giving 2 hour long interviews, and visiting Turkish actors. Such a busy guy.

Hazara people continue to die, but politicians wont wake up. Islamically, the prime minister has responsibility towards those people.

Does this guy want to make 'Riyasat-e-Medina'? You all dumb PTI supporters forget this within seconds. God will account rulers for even animals, but these are people.

Let me correct you.
If this was the damned Army Chief's family, he would be there within seconds, unconditionally. These are his priorities.
Army chief/or any general doesn't come up with childish demands on media even if their family get targeted. They will never create any media circus. They rather resolve the things behind the curtains which this govt wants to do as well.

As a Pakistani, we feel for everyone who lost the life due to terrorism. However, it is sad to see that protests as such are hijacked by some lobby and their demands are no less than blackmailing the state. I would have chosen some different words but then again, PM seems to be in a tough situation and seems like responded to the unwarranted & illegal Terms & Conditions by particular group inside the protests.

No one will ever think whether Hazara community or anyone else should have been targeted.... this is totally inhuman and Pakistanis aren't like that but it is about time to clear out such mafias that uses such unfortunate event for their own cause. Afghan agents & sponsored groups, are currently fanning all the fire. Not to mention how Karachi's roads are blocked merely to show some muscle. I have seen the recent videos of some clerics openly threatening everyone and orders to close down market/road. Eventually, anti Pakistan proxies are busy day & night to fuel sectarian conflict in the country.

Whether Iran or anyone else; it time to send a strong & straight message to stay out of here or otherwise, there is a thing called Karma. In the meanwhile, victims shall be visited by officials to share their grief but demanding to visit specific personality is not fair. We buries our sons in uniforms, on every other day due to terrorists attack but no one protested at all. Lest not set a wrong trend to say the least. Instead, any victimized community shall work closely with State so we all can get rid of proxies at once by working together. Illogical demands & blackmailing is not going to work.

PM shouldn't be visiting given the security reasons and the few demands that makes no sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom