What's new

Do We Really Need A Food Security Bill ?

Grevion

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Pro-poor or pro-poverty? by The Underage Optimist : Chetan Bhagat's blog-The Times Of India

Poverty is a terrible thing. There are few things as demeaning to a human being as not having the means to fulfil his basic needs in life.

India is one of the poverty havens of the world. We have all heard of India's teeming millions, probably since childhood. While one could blame the British for all our mistakes pre-1947, it has been almost 67 years since they left. We are still one of the poorest nations on earth. Many countries in Asia, which started with similar poverty levels in the 1940s, have progressed faster — some of them dramatically. We, however, remain poor.

The continuance of poverty is particularly surprising because there are so many smart and powerful people who claim to be representing the poor. Politicians, academics, poverty economists, NGOs — there are so many people trying to help the poor. It is baffling, then, why we can't seem to get rid of poverty. Our public debates are virtually controlled by left-leaning intellectuals, who are some of the most pro-poor people on earth. And yet, they seem to be get-ting nowhere.

Well, they won't. Because while they may be experts on the poor and their suffering, they have little idea about the one thing that eventually removes poverty — money. Yes, it is over-simplistic, but it is perplexing how little our top thinkers and debate-controllers know about wealth creation, true economic empowerment, productivity and competitiveness. For, if they did, they would not support one of the most hare-brained schemes to have ever come out of our illusionist politicians` hat — the food security Bill.

It is a tough Bill to write against. The fashionably left, almost communist, intellectual mafia will almost kill you. The subject is sensitive. You may argue that the numbers just don't add up — that we will ruin our already fragile economy further if we do this. The retort will be 'at least a poor mother will see her child sleep peace-fully at night on a full stomach'.

Try arguing with that! You may see financial ruin for the nation, but how will your data-filled presentation ever compete with the picture of a malnourished hungry child in an Indian village. You can't. I submit all economics, basic arithmetic, common sense, rationality, practicality fails when someone confronts you with 'so basically you don't want to help the poor, right?'

Nobody does not want to help the poor. Nevertheless, after being labelled anti-poor, you will be labelled an MNC-favouring, FDI-obsessed capitalist. Stay long enough; you will be branded right-wing, perhaps with a 'communalist' slur added too. Welcome to India where one doesn't debate on reason. We debate on emotions, moral one-upmanship and attacking the debater rather than the argument.

Therefore, like any sane, self-preserving individual, i'd say my official line on the un-opposable Bill is this: Bring on the food security Bill. In fact, i propose a better Bill. Why just two-thirds of India, let's extend free grains to the entire country. Moreover, why not some vegetables and fruit too? And don't poor kids deserve fresh milk? We should provide that too. If the debate is going to be won by the guy with the noblest intention, then i am going to make sure i am the one.

Every Indian family must get grain, fruit, vegetables, milk and whatever else it takes to have a healthy balanced diet. It should be free. There, am i not the good guy now?

When irritating questions pop up in my head on who will pay for it, or how will so many commodities be secured, or how will the already debt-ridden government finances look after this, i will tell my mind to shut up. I'll avoid looking at the astronomical bill (lakhs of crores over just the next few years). If i feel this money could be used to transform rural education, irrigation or road networks, which would make our poor empowered, employable and richer, i will scold myself for thinking with my brain.

It is not important to remove poverty. It is only important to come across as a person who cares for poor people. And i do, more than you. That is why my Bill has fruit and vegetables. Does yours? So what if our fiscal deficit swells, the rating agencies downgrade us to junk credit and foreign investors stop investing in our country? We don't need them. They are all our enemies anyway.

The government will not spend on productive assets, we'll scare the foreigners away and we will never have good infrastructure, schools or hospitals. So what? At least we care for poor people. We`ll keep caring for poor people until our money totally runs out, the nation gets bankrupt, inflation is out of control and there are no more jobs.

Of course, that means far more people will be poorer than from where we started. But isn't that a good thing? After all, it gives us a chance to care for even more people. So, bring on my Food, Fruits, Vegetables and Milk Security Bill. Did i miss something in that? Oh yes, nuts. We do need nuts. Some nuts for all Indians, please. You know the kind of nuts i am talking about, right?

Increasing Investment and clearing our debt have been a much better option for our country rather then providing free/cheap food to the mass, it would have open much more option for our country's economy along with employment....but this election stunt by the govt. will burden our economy more than anything....erasing corruption from the present existing cheap food schemes would have been a better option..

Too much free aid just leads to a crutch mentality.

Look at the countries in Africa that have been living on free aid for decades.

Have they improved? No. They have just become dependent on the aid.

And what happens, when the donors inevitably can no longer afford to keep giving out free aid? Those who have become dependant on the aid will starve in the millions.

People must be given the opportunities to become productive and create wealth for themselves. This also strengthens the economy as a whole, meaning there is more wealth to go around.

Whereas worsening an already bad Fiscal Deficit (by giving out free everything), just means there will be less wealth to go around in the end.

And what happens, when the donors inevitably can no longer afford to keep giving out free aid? Those who have become dependant on the aid will starve in the millions.

People must be given the opportunities to become productive and create wealth for themselves. This also strengthens the economy as a whole, meaning there is more wealth to go around.

Whereas worsening an already bad Fiscal Deficit (by giving out free everything), just means there will be less wealth to go around in the end.

It not only decreases Wealth it also decreases opportunities of growth.....poor people will be too dependent on such schemes and will go poor again once the govt. became unavailable to resumes such schemes in future..

Food security bill for Poor, Needy and BLOODY LAZY PERSONS (nearly 45-50%). Come to my village and see how the young and not so young persons fetter away there time by playing card games and doing petty grass root politics. Our State Govt. gives them rice @3/- per KG. Why they will work? The persons who have agricultural land cannot find laborers. And then there is 100 days guaranteed work scheme. They take away 200/- per day even without working and with 3/- per kg. rice why one will work? Bloody Politicians, but what can we do?

Now it is over 66. 66.24 to be exact. Tomorrow is going to be worse. But what can we do, except twiddling our thumbs? Again I say to all the Political parties "BLOODY POLITICIANS". Kabada karke rakh denge pure desh ko!!

Right to food(Life) is a fundamental right.:police:

OK. But what about lazy persons?

Right to food(Life) is a fundamental right.:police:

My biology/nutrition knowledge is little weak but doesn't lack of food lead to death.So if so called poor hungry people were not getting any food, they should have been dead.

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Congress is literally making more free loaders and lazy ones by this food security bill, instead it should have said you should earn that freebie by doing some work , which can be converted into credits which then can be reimbursed to buy things you want.

Nobody does not want to help the poor. Nevertheless, after being labelled anti-poor, you will be labelled an MNC-favouring, FDI-obsessed capitalist. Stay long enough; you will be branded right-wing, perhaps with a 'communalist' slur added too. Welcome to India where one doesn't debate on reason. We debate on emotions, moral one-upmanship and attacking the debater rather than the argument.
Who called Chetan Bhagat a communalist for opposing food security bill?:P

The simple test of lop-sidedness of the food security bill is its limitation to 75% rural poor and 50% urban poor. With a fraction of the cost, couldn't the bill cover every Indian? The rich guys will not go for government grain anyway. Everyone knows the grain quality is low. The hare brained law makers forgot that there is a public distribution system already which catered(or supposed to cater to) most of these households through ration cards? And how miserable its implementation is? Now they want to throw in an extra 40000 crore per year into the same mess. Even the government people know what will happen with the extra money. That is why they won't include the rich people in it. Apparently the same corruption will spare the poor people's grains. And they figured out this genius of an idea 8 months before polls.

Seriously who called Chetan Bhagat a communalist for opposing a food security bill? It is a tragedy that India has neither a fiscal conservative party not a social conservative party. We are being asked to choose between a fiscally populist party and a social communal party. I hated to hear their spokesmen proclaim we are a 'national party', we are the only national party fighting Congress/communalism.

Sir if you were not Chinese i would have recommended to contest Polls & be the PM :china:

Sir if you were not Chinese i would have recommended to contest Polls & be the PM :china:

We could do with some good chinese leadership.

Our Subservient to Italian godmother leadership has brought us to the brink of ruin.

Who called Chetan Bhagat a communalist for opposing food security bill?:P

The simple test of lop-sidedness of the food security bill is its limitation to 75% rural poor and 50% urban poor. With a fraction of the cost, couldn't the bill cover every Indian? The rich guys will not go for government grain anyway. Everyone knows the grain quality is low. The hare brained law makers forgot that there is a public distribution system already which catered(or supposed to cater to) most of these households through ration cards? And how miserable its implementation is? Now they want to throw in an extra 40000 crore per year into the same mess. Even the government people know what will happen with the extra money. That is why they won't include the rich people in it. Apparently the same corruption will spare the poor people's grains. And they figured out this genius of an idea 8 months before polls.

Seriously who called Chetan Bhagat a communalist for opposing a food security bill? It is a tragedy that India has neither a fiscal conservative party not a social conservative party. We are being asked to choose between a fiscally populist party and a social communal party. I hated to hear their spokesmen proclaim we are a 'national party', we are the only national party fighting Congress/communalism.

UPA II has been so damaging to country that practically anything would be better from this government.

Back
Top Bottom