What's new

Do all military actions have to be approved by the parliament in Pakistan?

Reaction score
This thread was inspired by a comment made by @blain2 in another thread:

I gave a parallel knowing that the elected PM was not in the dark in 1999 as many suggest and to make a point that we are selective in our condemnation for something which I do not even consider a wrong in the first place. Not all military actions have to be approved by the parliament...................

My contention is that all military actions must be approved by parliament, for an Army that does not accept civilian control is nothing more than a rogue militia. Is my contention unrealistic for Pakistan, or should it be a national goal to be implemented urgently?

I hope the discussion remains civil and productive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just does not happen the World over. There are certain things that a parliament can approve or declare like state of war. Most other operations are limited to the immediate staff of the elected officials (as was the case with Nawaz Sharif's immediate circle in 1999). There are issues with operational secrecy etc. that make taking such things to the parliament impractical.

Just does not happen the World over. There are certain things that a parliament can approve or declare like state of war. Most other operations are limited to the immediate staff of the elected officials (as was the case with Nawaz Sharif's immediate circle in 1999). There are issues with operational secrecy etc. that make taking such things to the parliament impractical.

Sir, even with covert operations, oversight by a smaller, designated intelligence committee consisting of senior personnel is the usual way of providing the necessary parliamentary oversight.

Like brain and spinal cord

If someone prick your finger with needle the message through the local neuron will directly go to spinal cord instead of brain directly to pull back the finger quickly.since the response needed is fast and spinal cord is faster at it

while the brain will order something or send a action after thinking.by this i mean atleast thinking to a certain level

Let suppose if indian armed forces intrude into our border than Chief of army aka (spinal cord) will directly give order for defensive level..offensive or the rest of options are to be taken by pariliament/president(brain)

This thread was inspired by a comment made by @blain2 in another thread:

My contention is that all military actions must be approved by parliament, for an Army that does not accept civilian control is nothing more than a rogue militia. Is my contention unrealistic for Pakistan, or should it be a national goal to be implemented urgently?

I hope the discussion remains civil and productive.

Does a judge ask parliament before giving his judgment?

BTW... there are rules for members of parliament too. read article 52 and decide how much parliament is legal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally it would be a cabinet which would take decisions. But even this would need go aheads from key opposition members. Normally before a critical declaration one would not risk making it an open secret.

Covert ops would fall under the purview of the joint intelligence and defence committee.

in civilized countries it is so, but here we have imperialist army's skeleton as our Pak army, so they find it difficult to accept civilian authority..

secondly at the end of the day, its the civilian govts that are answerable for their actions, its the civilian govts that provide cover up for the wrongs of military...

100% answerable to the parliament and must all the actions be approved by the parliament and law !!

like the saying goes,"war is too important to be left to the generals"

by parliament, it can be committee that has the authority delegated by the parliament, its usual business.

but what you are implying is that army take its own decisions, just as its happening in Pakistan right now, is totally wrong... this army must become Pakistan's army, not of some General who is heading.

and in reciprocal this country must have an army, not that this army have a country !!

BS.. In Pakistan,, educated army shall rule the few fake degree holders.. selling Pakistan to foreign agencies.
Coming to assemblies by open rigging and run corruption mills while around.

At every martial law army shall shoot all those hijackers of state.

Imagine the most corrupt man in Pakistan is its President, than PM and than CJ.

Major decisions like going to war or peace is given by Parliament. I agree.

But if Operations are to be launched by the military, they need EXPLICIT, UNAMBIGUOUS commands from the Prime Minister. And without the Prime Minister's consent, if the military goes ahead on an operation or fails/misrepresents the scope of the operation to the Prime Minister, it is called treason.

And there are clear laid down rules that are to be followed and records maintained - which are kept secret - of the Prime Minister authorizing such operations.

If the Govt of the country has decided to have no records maintained for reasons of plausible deniability - black operations - then in that case, if the operation blows up, then the Chief of Military is expected to stand court martial and discharged from duty.

Were such protocols followed by the Pakistani Army?
If yes, then no problems whatsoever.

If no, then Pakistani Army is a rogue army operating above the Elected Heads of the Country and are thus liable to be charged with treason.

Back
Top Bottom