What's new

Discovering Afghanistan’s 1,000-year-old Jewish life

Why? these Jewish documents have nothing to do with Pashtuns.

Humanity is far more mixed than we often give it credit for. It would not be surprising if some of our ancestors had Jewish people in them. Jewish people spread across the world after the destruction of the second temple two thousand years ago. Many settled in Bukhara, Baghdad, Khurasan, and South Asia.

Although genetic evidence is inconclusive and archeological proof absent: it is speculated that: Afridi may be Ephraim, Yousafzai --> well is Ben Yosaf, Musavi --> Musavi and so forth. There is also a myth that (some) Pashtuns descended from King Saul's son Afgana (?) -- not an accepted theory but it is one that is entertained.

Humanity is a lot more mixed than people think it is.

Humanity is far more mixed than we often give it credit for. It would not be surprising if some of our ancestors had Jewish people in them. Jewish people spread across the world after the destruction of the second temple two thousand years ago. Many settled in Bukhara, Baghdad, Khurasan, and South Asia.

Although genetic evidence is inconclusive and archeological proof absent: it is speculated that: Afridi may be Ephraim, Yousafzai --> well is Ben Yosaf, Musavi --> Musavi and so forth. There is also a myth that (some) Pashtuns descended from King Saul's son Afgana (?) -- not an accepted theory but it is one that is entertained.

Bamiyan in Central Afghanistan , was never a Pashtun abode and the documents are discovered from there. Keep in mind that Juzjani, 13th century historian from Ghor (also in Central Afghanistan) also mentions the presence of some Jewish families in Ghor. Jews were scattered in different parts of the world in that period........Afghanistan has remained part of Persia and the Jews settled in Persia and Farsi speaking areas of Afghanistan (e.g Herat) were from Roman exile of 70 AD, not of Babylonian exile of 597 BC..........Pashtuns or proto-Pashtuns existed before 70 AD, as mentioned by Greek sources and Sanskrit.

The account of Qais Abdul Rasheed neither appears in Arab sources, nor the Afghana s/o Saul is part of Jewish genealogy. Genetically , as well as linguistically, Pashtuns are Indo-Iranian people..........Its not an unusual claim. Balochs, an Indo-Iranian race, claim to be descendants of semetic Arabs , that they are descendants of Hazrat Amir Hamza.

Last edited:

Lol, the genetic evidence isn't that inconclusive or inconclusive at all. It's pretty obvious that this Jewish connection isn't true.

Lol, the genetic evidence isn't that inconclusive or inconclusive at all. It's pretty obvious that this Jewish connection isn't true.

For now that seems to be the consensus -- although it is not ruled out. Many of the modern Jewish people for example the Yemeni Jews and Ashkenazi Jews are converts and do not necessarily have genetic links to the semitic people.

Disclaimer: I'm not well informed on this subject.

We arent Saudis either when it comes to military punishment...

True had we been like Turkey PAF and PAA would have been bombing Kunar and other afghan states//

You invaded us? So how did you invade Pashtuns or Baluch or your own allies in Panjab? Anyways... you didnt accept and recognise Pak.. you invaded Pak several times till the 70s.. always getting beaten black and blue.. than under the communist govt your KHAD started spreading terrorism and the failed Pashtunistan.... The result? Not so good now is it?

Have you been sending cakes and cookies until now? The largest migration of refugees in the world is happening right now.

1 or 2 hundred thousand is a drop in the ocean.. can you take 3+ million of your citizens? You loose ALOT .. we GAIN.

Ironic how we have donated over 1.5 billion dollars.. sheltered millions of afghans .. your army troops even are given medical help in Pak mil and civil hospital and yet here you are threatening us ... I mean come on ... take a break and look at your country?
The main problem is Mir Jafir and Mir Sadiq along with corruption. If this is sorted out then the Afghan issues will be much easier to sort out.

For now that seems to be the consensus -- although it is not ruled out. Many of the modern Jewish people for example the Yemeni Jews and Ashkenazi Jews are converts and do not necessarily have genetic links to the semitic people.

Disclaimer: I'm not well informed on this subject.

How are Ashkenazies and Yemeni Jews being converts relevant here? Pashtuns don't have any such documented history of conversions to Judaism. And even among Jews, there are many different groups such as Sephardi, Mizrahim etc.
The Jewish theory was pretty outlandish to begin with and with genetic/historic evidence it has been pretty much laid to rest.

How are Ashkenazies and Yemeni Jews being converts relevant here? Pashtuns don't have any such documented history of conversions to Judaism. And even among Jews, there are many different groups such as Sephardi, Mizrahim etc.
The Jewish theory was pretty outlandish to begin with and with genetic/historic evidence it has been pretty much laid to rest.

Ahemmm:
1. It is documented in a couple of historical texts (I don't have the references handy but you can google them) that some Pakhtuns defended from King Saul's son Afghana
2. Further as in the previous point -- it is some Pakhtuns converting out of Judaism and not into it -- that has been the claim.

Again I'm not an anthropologist or a historian -- just reporting what many people cite including authors.

Ahemmm:
1. It is documented in a couple of historical texts (I don't have the references handy but you can google them) that some Pakhtuns defended from King Saul's son Afghana
2. Further as in the previous point -- it is some Pakhtuns converting out of Judaism and not into it -- that has been the claim.

Again I'm not an anthropologist or a historian -- just reporting what many people cite including authors.

Well, anyway it's been disproved pretty much via actual historic evidence (mass migrations like such would be very unlikely not to mention logistical problems) and genetics. Only some early 20th century British writers started it.

Well, anyway it's been disproved pretty much via actual historic evidence (mass migrations like such would be very unlikely not to mention logistical problems) and genetics. Only some early 20th century British writers started it.

mmm, I'm not sure -- have you studied the subject?

The actual references to Pakhtuns tracing this history to King Saul are not by Western historians. They are by Muslim or pre-Muslim historians and authors as far as I can remember)

mmm, I'm not sure -- have you studied the subject?

The actual references to Pakhtuns tracing this history to King Saul are not by Western historians. They are by Muslim or pre-Muslim historians and authors as far as I can remember)

Yes, genetically they dont have much affinity with Ashkenazi, Mizrahi or Sephardic Jews.

Which are those pre-Islamic sources?

Afghans are proud of their history and any linkages we may have. Great read.
Time to coordinate strong relationship with Israel and send our students for studies there.

It's a good idea you people should do it, but when will you people do it.

Yes, genetically they dont have much affinity with Ashkenazi, Mizrahi or Sephardic Jews.

Which are those pre-Islamic sources?

Just wanted to update you that I could not find anything in my notes. There are two references I have not been able to explore -- one is a note about an Indian academician (some Professor Afridi) who was studying the subject and the other is a biographical account by Anne Marlow -- which I think had references to pre-Islamic sources.

I couldn't locate my copy of Anne Marlow's book and neither have I been thus far able to find the writing of Professor Afridi.

Just wanted to update you that I could not find anything in my notes. There are two references I have not been able to explore -- one is a note about an Indian academician (some Professor Afridi) who was studying the subject and the other is a biographical account by Anne Marlow -- which I think had references to pre-Islamic sources.

I couldn't locate my copy of Anne Marlow's book and neither have I been thus far able to find the writing of Professor Afridi.

To be honest, you would be hard pressed to find some mention of 'Pashtun' or 'Afghan' in pre-Islamic times much less a mention of some Jewish connection.

To be honest, you would be hard pressed to find some mention of 'Pashtun' or 'Afghan' in pre-Islamic times much less a mention of some Jewish connection.

Interesting, any reason for why: "'Pashtun' or 'Afghan' in pre-Islamic times"

I thought the earlier references to the Pashtun civilization are from as early as the classical period of history [long before the advent of Islam]

Back
Top Bottom