What's new

Did I just get scammed for 400$ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn’t hear about the case of the truck driver in California whose brakes failed and he ended up killing a handful of people? The court still sentenced him to life in prison. Hopefully they overturned it.
Think he got overturn and is serving 20 years. Or maybe 10

You can try to file a police report but after the fact? Not likely the police will do anything. The only thing you can do now is hope the Other Guy is an honest man.

Insurance policies have deductibles to discourage frivolous claims. If the damages to the car is less than the deductible, then it is better if you take care of the damage on your own. Most police dept have direct access to an insurance companies database to tell them if a driver is insured or not. If the involved parties chose not file a police report, then there is no need to call that database.

Do you remember if the police officer went back to his car and called in for insurance info?

If the Other Guy was eager to settle quickly, it maybe because he did not have insurance, which would make him in violation of the law.
Police officer did not check anything, he did not see any License or ID or registration which I often see in videos and movies what cops do. That is what throw me off track as well, cause I was hope for a brief talk with cop right, I thought he would ask me for stuff, and other guys as well, he might take our alcohol checks as well, etc but he did not do any of that. He just tried to pushed my car from the grass, asked me if I need medical attention, and than ask us both if we need report, the other guys said no and I was panicked and confused i said no as well. later on he just asked me for deductibles which is 500$, his fender was damage , bumper was damage as well. I saw it, i thought if I go through insurance I might have to pay 500$ anyway, plus as I said everything was happening fast, I was tired (coming back from work), exhausted and it was raining and just had a near death experience.

I think (not sure) that the other guy did not have insurance.

I doubt there was more than one lane on the exit ramp...
I mean if he go from main to ramp, he has to change lane to do it, of course if he stay on the dedicated exit lane, yeah. It sounded like he change lanes tho.

Interesting, not sure what state you at but deer hits aren't a police responsibility in DC area.
Was in a western state where the scenery was background to many cowboy movies and the sheriff dept is responsible for many things in the rural regions, including accidents involving wildlife. But now am in the east coast.

The issue is being humane to wildlife. Most deers do survive collisions against cars, not against 18 wheelers of course, but the deer would be mortally wounded. The deputy would follow the trail, blood and/or broken plants, find the wounded animal, and essentially put it out of its misery, usually with his pistol but some would use a rifle.

So today I was coming home, it was raining a little bit so roads were bit slippery, At an exit I gave the indicator and a car from behind hit back of my car, and my car spin 3 times before going off road to grass, because of rain the Grass with water (I think) save me and my car from flipping over, I came out side quickly to check on other drive to make sure they are ok, a cop showed up and he ask us if we both are ok and need any medical attention, I was just panic and shocked and processing the situation cause this is the first time I was dealing with a accident and Cop, Cop asked us both to get our Registration and license, I get it but cop ask us if we don't want to file a report than we can go through insurance or settle it among us, he help push my car out of grass and he was on his way. The Guy and I was talking about and he said if I pay him cash than there is no need for insurance companies to get involved, he told me that would take my insurance go up and I had a 500 deductible which I would have to pay anyway, so he asked for money and I ended up giving him 400$ through cash app, my car was not damage just Rubbed off, his fender was damage and bumper was damage to and Rubbed as well. When I get home my room mates told me that I should not have done that, he did took Pics of my License and registration but upon transaction he did delete and he went on his way, now after talking to my friends they told me that I should've filed the report and he probably did not have insurance.

What I don't understand that I told cop that I am new here and this is first time dealing with this kind of situation and yet Cop did not seems to be helpful, he just bailout super quick. Now my friends told me that, guy can still file a claim from Insurance although there was no police report done so Is it possible ? they also told me he can try recover picture from deleted Pics but if there is no report can he do that ? I hope he do not do anything because I paid him because I thought it's easier and more reliable way as even the cop suggested that before he left.

Did I make a Mistake ?
What can I do better next time ?
If the guy try to do anything else what else I can do ?

@gambit @F-22Raptor @Hamartia Antidote @SQ8 @KAL-EL @JamD
Yes

But i wont bother..i mean its learning experience and take your blessings and forget about it

1.) When you put on your blinker, did you merge or you stayed in your lane?
2.) How far away is the other car, or did you check your mirror if you have merged.
3.) What is the traffic condition (You mentioned weather but not traffic condition)
4.) Do any witness stop and record a statement?
1) So I give the blinker first before changing lanes, like I always does.
2) So it happens fast, I was changing lane and suddenly I feel someone bumped into my car, while I was trying to control it as it spin, but again it happen fast and I won't lie I did not see the car in the side mirror.
3) There wasn't anyone, other side of the road there were people but view is blocked by mine road dividers.
4) No one stopped, As soon as my car stopped i rush out to check on other driver cause I was worried for other person, and he asked me if i am ok, than suddenly I saw a cop stopping by, i told him to give me a min to get myself together.

Police officer did not check anything, he did not see any License or ID or registration which I often see in videos and movies what cops do. That is what throw me off track as well, cause I was hope for a brief talk with cop right, I thought he would ask me for stuff, and other guys as well, he might take our alcohol checks as well, etc but he did not do any of that. He just tried to pushed my car from the grass, asked me if I need medical attention, and than ask us both if we need report, the other guys said no and I was panicked and confused i said no as well. later on he just asked me for deductibles which is 500$, his fender was damage , bumper was damage as well. I saw it, i thought if I go through insurance I might have to pay 500$ anyway, plus as I said everything was happening fast, I was tired (coming back from work), exhausted and it was raining and just had a near death experience.

I think (not sure) that the other guy did not have insurance.
Then as far as the officer was concerned, he was off the hook. Both of you consented to settle the accident privately.

Am not going to characterize the officer as I was not there to see his demeanor. But the moment any officer got consent from the parties to settle the accident among themselves without involving the state, any officer would just walk away.

1655359530191.png

That should help, Black arrow is my car, and red arrow is the other guys car. @gambit @jhungary

Don't kill me but no I did not, As i said I was shocked and Panicked, I never had this situation or ever had in any accident even in Pakistan. When Cop Left I was soaked wet cause its always raining in Tampa for some reason, it was dark and those Lizards and signs of beware of Alligators (for F sake). I wanted to go home and relax and end this whole situation specially after the cop left.

You can say that I lived a very to the point life, in urdu we say " Ghar se school/college/university and repeat. I hardly go out with friends rather stay home playing games, never been in a accident alone or with anyone else driving. So this was my first time for a lot of things, and it was in the USA.
Shaba bachungry........tu Einstein ha future ka! :yahoo:

Then as far as the officer was concerned, he was off the hook. Both of you consented to settle the accident privately.

Am not going to characterize the officer as I was not there to see his demeanor. But the moment any officer got consent from the parties to settle the accident among themselves without involving the state, any officer would just walk away.
but was he not suppose to check if we had papers ? I mean other guy or I could be drunk, at least investigate a little bit right ?

but was he not suppose to check if we had papers ? I mean other guy or I could be drunk, at least investigate a little bit right ?
Yes, he should. Driver's license and registration means the basic info that you are certified to drive and your vehicle is certified to be on the road. The officer probably was convinced no alcohol was involved just from watching the both of you. Then when he got consent from both of you that you would settle the accident privately, in a way, that was a polite and legal way to tell him to back off.

1) So I give the blinker first before changing lanes, like I always does.
2) So it happens fast, I was changing lane and suddenly I feel someone bumped into my car, while I was trying to control it as it spin, but again it happen fast and I won't lie I did not see the car in the side mirror.
3) There wasn't anyone, other side of the road there were people but view is blocked by mine road dividers.
4) No one stopped, As soon as my car stopped i rush out to check on other driver cause I was worried for other person, and he asked me if i am ok, than suddenly I saw a cop stopping by, i told him to give me a min to get myself together.
Thanks for your reply.

Please do know that I am not offering any legal advice, and at this point, my wife (who is a lawyer) would yell at me if I don't say you should seek actual legal advice on the issue. So this is that, what I say here is solely my opinion, and by no mean I am in any authority position or you should have follow it.

Judging from what you say, unless there is some evidence point to him speeding up, then it is most likely your fault. Because according to Florida Statue 2021 Chapter 316.085 (You said you were in Florida, right?)

316.085 Limitations on overtaking, passing, changing lanes and changing course.—

(1) No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless authorized by the provisions of this chapter and unless such left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction of any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle.

(2) No vehicle shall be driven from a direct course in any lane on any highway until the driver has determined that the vehicle is not being approached or passed by any other vehicle in the lane or on the side to which the driver desires to move and that the move can be completely made with safety and without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the same direction.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

So basically if you change lane, and he hit you, unless there is some evidence that you can secure to show that he speed up or you were otherwise in a safe manner, you are mostly at fault.

So without witness, and I don't think there are any tire mark you can trace, chances are you are really at fault if you indeed change lane and he hit you from behind. So what happen now is, do you want to make it public.

As @gambit said, he can take your $400 and then still claim your insurance as he has all the document and evidence (He have your DL number, Registration number and on scene photograph, are you sure those were deleted, did you see him delete it or he just tell you he will? On the other hand, it depends on how far you are willing to go, you can report an accident after the fact and get a case number that way, but if he claim you again, lacking of a written agreement, you probably cannot proof that you pay him money, you have mentioned you pay him with cash app, can that be traced or do you have any kind of record?

So right now, If I were you, I will go to the Police station, make a MTA report. and then go look for a lawyer and ask for legal advice, but judging from the fact that you have given to me, I would say the $400 is long gone, and right now, what you need is damage control.

Well Now that he is on his way with 400$, but there is no police report. Is there anything I can or he can do ?
He wasnt scamming you. He saw his moment and went on the offence. He probably didnt think it would work. But I guess this one goes to him. But as everyone is saying, live and learn. $400 isnt too bad. Next time someone hits you from behind put your one hand on your neck and the other to dial 911.

Yes, he should. Driver's license and registration means the basic info that you are certified to drive and your vehicle is certified to be on the road. The officer probably was convinced no alcohol was involved just from watching the both of you. Then when he got consent from both of you that you would settle the accident privately, in a way, that was a polite and legal way to tell him to back off.
Well that is what also confuse me, I mean I saw Police stop drivers and they always checking stuff, I saw police pulling over cars driving in front of me, next to me etc and they always see/check documents, I mean if he stay there for a bit longer I might pull myself together to think straight.

That really depends if he have what we called a "Call Out Log"

If he was called to the scene, then yes, he would have to follow up, but if he just passed by, and nobody call the cops, which mean there are no record, and that mean the cop didn't need to do anything as there are no case on file.......

Yes, we are this lazy...............:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom