What's new

Dhruv helicopters fly high in Uttarakhand

Maybe I should have made myself clearer- I am proposing 10 MI-26T2 (the improved version with modern avionics and improved reliability) for the NDMA, PAWAN HANS or MHA. These should ONLY be in civilain control as in the military (IAF) it serves little military utility.

The Mi-26s the IAF currently flies are some 35+ years old but these T2s are said to have much improved availability and have an all-weather, night flying, capabitlty which the IAF's current -26s lack.

Do try making that 'sales pitch' to the IAF. Nobody else in India knows those machines as well as they do. ;)

You're unlikely to find many fans there............

Maybe I should have made myself clearer- I am proposing 10 MI-26T2 (the improved version with modern avionics and improved reliability) for the NDMA, PAWAN HANS or MHA. These should ONLY be in civilain control as in the military (IAF) it serves little military utility.

The Mi-26s the IAF currently flies are some 35+ years old but these T2s are said to have much improved availability and have an all-weather, night flying, capabitlty which the IAF's current -26s lack.

Try landing and taking off that chopper with no load. In fact, try asking the IAf chaps on how much fun they have taking off and landing when they have no load on that chopper/

Do try making that 'sales pitch' to the IAF. Nobody else in India knows those machines as well as they do. ;)

You're unlikely to find many fans there............

Of course the IAF would be resistant to the NDMA/MHA getting these assets as, we know, they like to think they have the monopoly on anything that flies in India. But they're getting their Chinooks- so what's the big deal? The IAF hardly need to be consulted, PAWAN HANS already has a sizeable helo fleet, the BSF has a helo fleet and so does the ICG so I'm sure it is more than plausible for the NDMA/MHA to get these Mi-26T2s for Diaster relief missions.

Of course the IAF would be resistant to the NDMA/MHA getting these assets as, we know, they like to think they have the monopoly on anything that flies in India. But they're getting their Chinooks- so what's the big deal? The IAF hardly need to be consulted, PAWAN HANS already has a sizeable helo fleet, the BSF has a helo fleet and so does the ICG so I'm sure it is more than plausible for the NDMA/MHA to get these Mi-26T2s for Diaster relief missions.

HeHeHe, you did'nt get my drift probably. The IAF could'nt care less if 'somebody else' gets to own and operate these birds. :)

The death toll in this tragedy may be significantly high. This is just another instance of why our armed forces command so much respect from Indians. Salute to our armed forces and paramilitary forces for the kind of commitment they show. But this also show the consequence which we have to face when rules are violated while doing construction at hilly area.

HeHeHe, you did'nt get my drift probably. The IAF could'nt care less if 'somebody else' gets to own and operate these birds. :)

Had the IA asked for transfer of these to them, they would probably have been handed over 10 years back :D

Govt to step up rescue operations as more rain predicted for Monday

NEW DELHI: The government on Saturday decided to step up rescue operations in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand as more rain is predicted for Monday.

The decision was conveyed by Cabinet secretary Ajit Seth to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh while briefing him about the situation in the state, sources said.

Seth is briefing the Prime Minister in the morning and evening everyday after his meetings with top officials of departments involved in the rescue operations.

The Cabinet secretary informed the Prime Minister that 66,000 people have already been evacuated by the army, air force, paramilitary forces and others involved in the rescue operations, the sources said.

He said that 56 helicopters, including those of Army and Air Force, are conducting 220 sorties per day, evacuating stranded people and distributing relief material.

The rescue efforts would be stepped up and 500 sorties would be conducted on Saturday and Sunday because more rain is predicted for Monday, the sources said.

Around 6,200 personnel of Army and about same number of paramilitary forces are working day and night to rescue stranded people.

The meeting was told that about 40,000 km area of the state, particularly Gaurikund and Govind Ghat, have been affected by the devastating floods.

36,000 LPG cylinders have been sent to the state. The Cabinet secretary briefed the Prime Minister after holding meeting with defence secretary, home secretary, Air chief, vice-chief of Army, DG BRO, DG ITBP and former home secretary VK Duggal, who has been appointed as the nodal officer on the flood situation.

Govt to step up rescue operations as more rain predicted for Monday - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom