What's new

Dhaka-Moscow military talks Dec 3-5 Russia to look to sell high-value missiles

EastBengalPro

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Dhaka-Moscow military talks Dec 3-5
Russia to look to sell high-value missiles
Moscow has proposed to hold the first-ever Russian-Bangladesh Working Group on Military-Technical Cooperation in Dhaka in December 3-5 when general election is likely to be held in the same month, according to officials in ministries.
Russia has also expressed its willingness to cooperate in improving radar and air defence missile systems for the Bangladesh’s defence forces in addition to discussing realisation of the largest arms deal between two countries, they say.
In 2013, Bangladesh inked a deal with Russia to avail military hardware including armoured vehicles and infantry weapons, air defence systems and Mi-17 transport helicopters worth one billion US dollar.
The officials said Moscow was showing interest to sell high-value radar and air defence missile systems after Dhaka was considering procurement of ballistic-missiles-non-nuclear-warhead.
Armed Forces Division has already sought consent from ministry of defence and ministry of foreign affairs to hold the proposed talks after getting the proposal from Russia by air commodore S M Shahnewaz, the defence attaché of the Bangladesh embassy in Moscow, on August 8.
Inter Service Public Relations Directorate director lieutenant Colonel Alamgir Kabir, while talking to New Age on Saturday, said he had no knowledge about the proposed military talks between Bangladesh and Russia.
He said he would communicate with higher authorities to know about the development.
The ministries’ officials, however, confirmed that the Russians would talk on four issues on current military cooperation renewed with the signing of arms procurement deal on $1 billion suppliers’ credit in 2013.
Among the proposals, Russia would discuss the realisation of five Mi-171 helicopters, overhauling and modernisation of MiG-29B aircraft and servicing of armoured vehicles, they said.
Russian has also proposed modernisation of entire MiG fleet and after support of Yak-130 aircraft in its prospective issues of discussion.
Bangladesh Air Force has 8 MiGs procured from Russia since 1999 and introduced 16 Yak-130 but 13 are in now in operation.

http://www.newagebd.net/article/51935/dhaka-moscow-military-talks-dec-3-5

Dhaka-Moscow military talks Dec 3-5
Russia to look to sell high-value missiles
Moscow has proposed to hold the first-ever Russian-Bangladesh Working Group on Military-Technical Cooperation in Dhaka in December 3-5 when general election is likely to be held in the same month, according to officials in ministries.
Russia has also expressed its willingness to cooperate in improving radar and air defence missile systems for the Bangladesh’s defence forces in addition to discussing realisation of the largest arms deal between two countries, they say.
In 2013, Bangladesh inked a deal with Russia to avail military hardware including armoured vehicles and infantry weapons, air defence systems and Mi-17 transport helicopters worth one billion US dollar.
The officials said Moscow was showing interest to sell high-value radar and air defence missile systems after Dhaka was considering procurement of ballistic-missiles-non-nuclear-warhead.
Armed Forces Division has already sought consent from ministry of defence and ministry of foreign affairs to hold the proposed talks after getting the proposal from Russia by air commodore S M Shahnewaz, the defence attaché of the Bangladesh embassy in Moscow, on August 8.
Inter Service Public Relations Directorate director lieutenant Colonel Alamgir Kabir, while talking to New Age on Saturday, said he had no knowledge about the proposed military talks between Bangladesh and Russia.
He said he would communicate with higher authorities to know about the development.
The ministries’ officials, however, confirmed that the Russians would talk on four issues on current military cooperation renewed with the signing of arms procurement deal on $1 billion suppliers’ credit in 2013.
Among the proposals, Russia would discuss the realisation of five Mi-171 helicopters, overhauling and modernisation of MiG-29B aircraft and servicing of armoured vehicles, they said.
Russian has also proposed modernisation of entire MiG fleet and after support of Yak-130 aircraft in its prospective issues of discussion.
Bangladesh Air Force has 8 MiGs procured from Russia since 1999 and introduced 16 Yak-130 but 13 are in now in operation.

http://www.newagebd.net/article/51935/dhaka-moscow-military-talks-dec-3-5

Unless I'm off-base, we have Mig-29SE version, which is upgradable to SMT standard with Klimov RD-33 version 3 engine with longer Mean time between overhauls. Don't know if MiG-35 is cheaper than overhaul with new engines and newer glass cockpit.

With the newest version of RD-33 a thrust vectoring nozzle (TVN) is now available. This would be a game changer.

Interestingly - the JF-17 uses the RD-93, a derated version of the RD-33. This commonality may be helpful in case Hasina and IK make up like Bhai-behen and we end up getting JF-17's as a 'numbers' fighter.

Also - ballistic missile range would probably be under MTCR standards.

Last edited:
So, BD wants some US sanction?

I wouldn't be so sure. These purchases will definitely fall under MTCR standards and are strictly for defensive purposes, which should not fall under a sanction regime.

Unless the US wants us to buy US or derivative missiles.

I wouldn't be so sure. These purchases will definitely fall under MTCR standards and are strictly for defensive purposes, which should not fall under a sanction regime.

BD might get fuked with CAATSA by US.

Unless I'm off-base, we have Mig-29SE version, which is upgradable to SMT standard with Klimov RD-33 version 3 engine with longer Mean time between overhauls. Don't know if MiG-35 is cheaper than overhaul with new engines and newer glass cockpit.

With the newest version of RD-33 a thrust vectoring nozzle (TVN) is now available. This would be a game changer.

Interestingly - the JF-17 uses the RD-93, a derated version of the RD-33. This commonality may be helpful in case Hasina and IK make up like Bhai-behen and we end up getting JF-17's as a 'numbers' fighter.

Also - ballistic missile range would probably be under MTCR standards.
I thoughy it was generally agreed that we have the B version

Probably this.

I think CAATSA will be selectively enforced.

It really isn't meant for a country like Bangaldesh buying a few fighters.

Also please don't buy any more Russian planes.

Keep it Chinese and try to get Western ones.

I think CAATSA will be selectively enforced.

It really isn't meant for a country like Bangaldesh buying a few fighters.

Also please don't buy any more Russian planes.

Keep it Chinese and try to get Western ones.
Looks like fighter jets are not subject of discussion.
We will be buying Russian missiles for Rooppur nuclear power plant and the discussion will probably focus on this and some other follow up matter of earlier deals.

Looks like fighter jets are not subject of discussion.
We will be buying Russian missiles for Rooppur nuclear power plant and the discussion will probably focus on this and some other follow up matter of earlier deals.

I am not an expert on missile but how reliable those missile systems will be against any Indian aggression. Can we trust Russia that it will not provide jamming tech or how to counter those missile to India?

I am not an expert on missile but how reliable those missile systems will be against any Indian aggression. Can we trust Russia that it will not provide jamming tech or how to counter those missile to India?
These are probably MRSAM missile system not as advanced as S-300 and not jamming proof. We are certainly not in that league yet

If we are talking about countering Indian aggression militarily, then we have a long way to go.

Back
Top Bottom