What's new

Developing another major city on Sindh coastline

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan has more then 1000 KM coast line. And on that coast line we have only one major city which is Karachi. Gawadar is being developed as another port city. Sindh coast line alone is 270 KM. Should Pakistan develop another city on Sindh coast. Not necessarily a port city but just a big city on coast of Sindh. 100 to 150 KM away from Karachi, close to Indian border.

Last edited:
I Have Been Pushing This For Along Time Get Private Sector To Develop Ports On PPP/BOT Basis in Jiwani Pasni Ormara Keti Bandar Thatta and Jhirk

Absolutely. We should also develop a network of cities in interior Sindh, perhaps start them up with industrial SOEs involved in defence and feeder inputs (such as gas turbines). However, who's going to lead us?

We Pakistanis have a lot of great ideas. I admire the vision. But no one's willing to seriously talk about the bad leadership and articulate solutions of how we can get them out so that we can come in.

Unfortunately PPP will veto any work that diminishes Karachis power.

Unfortunately PPP will veto any work that diminishes Karachis power.

Actually PPP Have Tried to Establish Another Port City in Thatta For A Long Time.First Keti Bandar Than Zulfiqarabad.

It Is The Babus in Islamabad Who Seem To Love Killing Every Chance of Progress in Pakistan

Pakistan has more then 1000 KM coast line. And on that coast line we have only one major city which is Karachi. Gawadar is being developed as another port city. Sindh coast line alone is 270 KM. Should Pakistan develop another city on Sindh coast. Not necessarily a port city but just a big city on coast of Sindh. 100 to 150 KM away from Karachi, close to Indian border.

Too many streams and deltas near Indian border and than Thatta region. Also that will damage our mangrove forests. Instead there is an option to go for jiwani and Pasni. Not only the area is secured (as we don't have much tension on Iran border), but there is already a small population living there. We just need to expand both these towns to hold population of atleast 1 million each. Later that can be expanded to 3 million each.

Just imagine 3 coastal cities of Jiwani, Pasni and Gwadar holding 3 million each as well as Karachi with 15+ million. Good growth

I’m not against the idea but I’d still prefer we improve the cities we do have right now first.

Not just one, we should be looking at 4-5 cities at least. Each of one the significant coastal towns now, should be massively expanded into cities, especially the ones near Karachi. Industry will be happy to shift to cheaper locations, people will be happy to move knowing the safety net of Karachi is only xKM away. It's a huge coast, we can defintely take advantage of it. Little shipping ports, some fishing, tourism, and industry. The southern coastal highway could be a route of great national importance if we build small cities along it.

Birmingham in the UK has 1 million people in it, it's the UK's second largest city, yet it has a GDP of £32 billion ($45 billion).

With the huge overcrowding in Karachi, if these cities were developed and small industries setup there, they'd hit the million man mark very quickly.
I’m not against the idea but I’d still prefer we improve the cities we do have right now first.

Improving current cities is essential work, but in terms of expansion, it's a much better idea to build a new city than to tag onto the resources of an existing one.

Back
Top Bottom