What's new

Devanagari (Hindi) Script

Being myself a linguistics enthusiast , I personally enjoy reading Vedic literatures to understand the evolution of the North Indic languages. To my observation, there are only three modern day Indic languages have kept their Sanskrit heritage alive . These are Assamese, Bengali and Marathi. The other Indic languages like Punjabi and Gujarati have largely lost their Sanskrit touch due to heavy Persian-Arabic infusion. Same applies to casual Hindi while more pro-Sanskrit Hindi is hard to find in casual conversations.

So you understand Sanskrit?

Sur,
When you completed all these thing,
then also inform us too. by the way where is right now your script standing ?
(50% completed, 70 , 90 )

I wanted to learn Sanskrit purely from a linguistic interest. But no one teaches Sanskrit in Pakistan. No university has a Sanskrit course!

Urdu and Punjabi are directly descended from Sanskrit (although Urdu has lots of Persian words). Yet it is not possible to learn Sanskrit anywhere in Pakistan!

How can Pakistanis get a full appreciation of the nation's history if such a big chunk of history is ignored?

We study English without any hesitation when the Britishers treated us like crap.

I wanted to learn Sanskrit purely from a linguistic interest. But no one teaches Sanskrit in Pakistan. No university has a Sanskrit course!

Urdu and Punjabi are directly descended from Sanskrit (although Urdu has lots of Persian words). Yet it is not possible to learn Sanskrit anywhere in Pakistan!

How can Pakistanis get a full appreciation of the nation's history if such a big chunk of history is ignored?

We study English without any hesitation when the Britishers treated us like crap.

Do you know Arabic ?

Or do you know Persian ?

Ever read / heard Turk ?

I am just curious, how you concluded that Urdu derived from sanskrit !

and feel free to educate me on this topic.

"Hindu" is not an Indic word. It was introduced in around 300 BC by the Greeks. Sanatan Dharma is the correct word to use for Indic (Bharateeya, भारतीय) philosophies, even today.

Dear Sir,

Not for Buddhism or Jainism, I believe.

Sincerely,

'Joe'

In a sense, Hinduism is a way of life rather than an organized religion like the Abrahamic faiths or even Buddhism or Jainism. Dharma is correct/righteous path you choose as you face decisions and Karma is what you get based on the decisions you took - if you followed your dharma - you get good karma...you get the picture.

Dear Sir,

Not quite - but the imagination boggles at the thought of a discourse on Indic philosophy on a Pakistani defence forum. Where are the F-16s? :-)

Sincerely,

'Joe'

Being myself a linguistics enthusiast , I personally enjoy reading Vedic literatures to understand the evolution of the North Indic languages. To my observation, there are only three modern day Indic languages have kept their Sanskrit heritage alive . These are Assamese, Bengali and Marathi. The other Indic languages like Punjabi and Gujarati have largely lost their Sanskrit touch due to heavy Persian-Arabic infusion. Same applies to casual Hindi while more pro-Sanskrit Hindi is hard to find in casual conversations.

Dear Sir,

I was unhappy to read your post; it is half-hearted.

You seem to have some knowledge of languages, in spite of making the mistake of calling Bengali a 'North Indian' language. Under the circumstances, I wish you had been frank and open, and informed other, less well-informed members that Bengali is the sweetest and most beautiful, a language to die for.

Please don't be shy and retiring about these important matters, but step right up and say so, loudly and clearly. The world needs to be reminded (it already knows).

I shall be unable to reply to any responses that may occur to readers, I shall be in retreat for an indeterminate period. ;-)

Sincerely,

'Joe'

Dear Sir,

You seem to have some knowledge of languages, in spite of making the mistake of calling Bengali a 'North Indian' language. Under the circumstances, I wish you had been frank and open, and informed other, less well-informed members that Bengali is the sweetest and most beautiful, a language to die for.

Please don't be shy and retiring about these important matters, but step right up and say so, loudly and clearly. The world needs to be reminded (it already knows).

I shall be unable to reply to any responses that may occur to readers, I shall be in retreat for an indeterminate period. ;-)

Sincerely,

'Joe'

Well , how is Assam these days ? NE India is a mystic area to me.
I mentioned Bengali as a North Indic ( not North Indian ) language which it is. Indic is not a geographic term but Linguistic.

Dear Sir,

Sincerely,

'Joe'

Bengali, Hindi (also known as Khadi Boli), Gujarati, Marwadi, Punjabi, Nepali, Sindhi, Marathi, Odiya, Assamese are all Prakrit languages, with much of their original vocabulary being derived from Sanskrit.

Some typical examples -

Kshetra in Sanskrit becomes Khet in Hindi and Shet in Marathi.

Aksha in Sanskrit becomes Aankh in Hindi.

Nidraa in Sanskrit becomes Neend in Hindi.

Shwaas in Sanskrit becomes Saans in Hindi (but remains unchanged as Shwaas in Gujarati and Marathi).

and so on.

South Indian languages have an independent origin, but they also contain a large number of words from Sanskrit.

Last edited:
very tough language.. :(
Most of the Indians(Non-Hindi Speakers) can learn Hindi Compratively Easy because of the Sanskrit Content as well as common Consonents,Vowels Used(Scripts Changes) .It is One of the easiest Language(To Speak and Read) for most of India.I'm not saying about Hindi Grammer(or for most Languages).
Some are Misguided to Think that All of India Speaks Hindi.It's Not;But ,Many are Multilinguals.have a look here:
Hindi Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hindi languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

400px-Hindispeakers.png

The traditional extent of Hindi in the broadest sense of the word.

Back
Top Bottom