BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Design for second domestic aircraft carrier to be finalised by year-end
Published January 21, 2016
SOURCE : THE HINDU

TH21_INS_VIKRANT_2703976f.jpg

By the end of the year, India expects to freeze the design for the largest battleship ever built for the Indian Navy. It will also be one of the largest carriers across the world after the U.S. super carriers, which weigh about 1,00,000 tonnes.

According to Navy sources, the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-II) would be of 65,000 tonnes, and will be capable of carrying over 50 aircraft. In comparison, displacement of INS Viraat is only 28,500 tonnes and INS Vikramaditya is 45,400 tonnes, both of which are of foreign origin and currently in service with the Indian Navy. The first indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant weighing 40,000 tonnes is currently under construction at Kochi.

The feasibility study for IAC-II has begun and will take about 8-10 months based on which the design will be frozen, a senior Navy official said on Wednesday.

Given that this the first time a ship of such size will be built in India which involves development of several new technologies, design consultancy will be sought from foreign companies with expertise in carrier design and construction.

Five countries have been identified for the purpose — the U.S., Russia, France, the U.K. and Italy — all of which currently operate carriers, the official added.

Officials said Vikrant was in advanced stage of construction and was on course to be delivered by December 2018.

Speaking for myself: I doubt it.

me too... may be just one more if fine but buiding 2 carriers would take decade and money better build a bigger nuke carrier which can hold more fighters and take off weight

me too... may be just one more if fine but buiding 2 carriers would take decade and money better build a bigger nuke carrier which can hold more fighters and take off weight

The whole idea of replicating a design which itself is in the nature of a compromise is self defeating.
After that it is important to remember that the IN will not get infinite resources. It will be wise to have designs and numbers that conform as much as possible to the doctrinal requirements. For Regional States it has to be 'Sea-Control' and for out of Region States it has to be 'Sea-Denial'. Assets for that have to be created.

TBH, a Second Carrier of the improved Vikrant Class is far more logical and relaistic.

Back
Top Bottom