What's new

Design and development of solid rocket motors in Indian context.

amardeep mishra

Reaction score
Country
India
This video is from a recent seminar held at Aero India-2017 bangalore. Notice the kind of R&D activity going on in india in the field of solid rockets/dual pulse motors/throtleable ramjets etc etc.
Interestingly DRDL faced severe combustion instability issues in the design of their dual-pulse motors and took them 5-6 years to overcome it. This has been used in Astra and Barak.
@The Deterrent , @Nilgiri,
شاھین میزایل@
I only wish there were similar pakistani seminars on rocket motors,structures,Guidance navigation and control etc etc.

Last edited:
What would have been a laudable achievement is the development of a predictive mathematical model or at least a predictive simulation model.

Just by the fact that Pakistani missiles are flying, you can ascertain that these problems have been solved here as well.

That said, hats off to you guys for all the hard work. There is certainly some really good scientific work happening in India. Keep it up.

What would have been a laudable achievement is the development of a predictive mathematical model or at least a predictive simulation model.

Just by the fact that Pakistani missiles are flying, you can ascertain that these problems have been solved here as well.

That said, hats off to you guys for all the hard work. There is certainly some really good scientific work happening in India. Keep it up.
@CriticalThought
yes!brahmos and sukhoi fly too and a lot of indians believe they're indian--but that doesnt make them any indian my friend! My point is very simple,just because something works doesnt mean it was designed in the country.
Kindly note,I am merely interested in such seminars from across the border-- so that we will have a picture of kind of R&D activity that goes on in pakistan in the field of Aerospace in general and missiles,propulsion systems in particular.

@CriticalThought

Here is another seminar lecture on the design and development of Indian AESA radars.The AEWCS radar that was recently inducted into IAF can actually track more than 500 targets(excluding ships) at the same time. Not only that,this radar can have 50% extension in range on one side of the antenna in ER mode(at a cost of other side ofcourse). So a range of 370-400kms for a 2m^2 target in Extended range mode was achieved! This is indeed remarkable as this was india's first attempt at designing AESA radars in-house!

@CriticalThought
yes!brahmos and sukhoi fly too and a lot of indians believe they're indian--but that doesnt make them any indian my friend! My point is very simple,just because something works doesnt mean it was designed in the country.
Kindly note,I am merely interested in such seminars from across the border-- so that we will have a picture of kind of R&D activity that goes on in pakistan in the field of Aerospace in general and missiles,propulsion systems in particular.

But Brahmos and Sukhoi are an overt combined venture between India and Russia. Your problem is you are unwilling to take us at face value. Now it is your responsibility to provide irrefutable proof that all our missile technology is imported from China. Think about it, the implications would be huge. This would be a clear and flagrant violation of the MTCR and would completely undermine Chinese efforts to join. Or, conversely, if you are so worried about China giving us missile technology, how about you allow China entry into MTCR and make sure it follows all protocols. Certainly, under MTCR, it cannot give us access to a 2000K range ballistic missile.

You won't find any seminars by Americans detailing how they solved problems of lattice structures in radar absorbing coatings. Does this mean they imported everything from India?

2 points ..
1. Though he was vague , hope we dont reveal int . Property through these seminars just to look good.
2. Why are isro and drdo not collaberating as isro is extensively using solid rockets.
Waste of time for 2 govt deptts to do the same thing twice. Forget sanctions and stuff. Boeing is involved in both defence and civil .

Now it is your responsibility to provide irrefutable proof that all our missile technology is imported from China. Think about it, the implications would be huge. This would be a clear and flagrant violation of the MTCR and would completely undermine Chinese efforts to join. Or, conversely, if you are so worried about China giving us missile technology, how about you allow China entry into MTCR and make sure it follows all protocols. Certainly, under MTCR, it cannot give us access to a 2000K range ballistic missile.
Hi @CriticalThought
There are INDEED various neutral proofs available-however-kindly note I am not willing to get into that debate as I am afraid it will turn into mud-slinging comptetion between Indians and Pakistanis.Instead I wanted such similar seminars videos to draw upon and have a picture of what is going on across the border and "what percentage of it" was actually designed in house.Sadly pakistan doesnt work like india and there are a lot of veils everywhere.

@CriticalThought

Here is another seminar lecture on the design and development of Indian AESA radars.The AEWCS radar that was recently inducted into IAF can actually track more than 500 targets(excluding ships) at the same time. Not only that,this radar can have 50% extension in range on one side of the antenna in ER mode(at a cost of other side ofcourse). So a range of 370-400kms for a 2m^2 target in Extended range mode was achieved! This is indeed remarkable as this was india's first attempt at designing AESA radars in-house!

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-17-thunder-multirole-fighter-thread-7.427560/page-116#post-9357317

Xu also recalled him and the team experienced in Pakistan, a variety of breathtaking scenes: 2008, the Bama Rio Hotel big bang, when the atmosphere is very strong terror, while the Chinese engineering team is the base of the test flight; the 2009 earthquake in Pakistan In 2011, Osama bin Laden was killed, the Taliban armed threatened to retaliate, their base is not far from the country's factory, for safety, the engineering team in the base was closed a full three month. In the case of such a difficult situation, the Chinese engineering team's calm and calm to Pakistani personnel moved, they use practical action to practice the friendship between the two countries, and airborne fire control radar cooperation project is the two countries friendship enrichment and Sublimation of the witness.

Hi @CriticalThought
Since we do not have any such seminar and Chinese are really not forthcoming with their tests and experiments carried out,we don't know for sure the capabilities of this newly designed KLJ7A. But I guess it is a very capable radar--one that would eventually find its way to JF17 modernization efforts. However it remains to be seen how will it perform against either indian designed AESA or foreign AESA radars that India is integrating into her aircrafts for instance integration of ELTA 2052 with jaguar or integration of ELTA-2052/uttam radar with LCA. While it is true that uttam with 700-800 T/R module might not enter mass production however It is scalable and a matured version can indeed be integrated to small-mid level fighter jets at a future date. In fact LSP-2 is being integrated with uttam AESA to validate its performance.I'm afraid it'll easily take 3-5 years more to turn it into a mature platform.and sadly IAF can't wait that long!

One of my professor has patent in prediction of combustion instability ingas turbines.

Haha, I bet me and him could have interesting conversation. Is he an IIT prof?
@Nilgiri
Yes here in IITM

@Nilgiri
Btw,did you go through the video? And good news is,IITM was recently ranked at #1 in india by NIRD. A lot of research activity is indeed going on here. Kindly go through the video of dual-pulse rocket development--an entirely indian R&D effort. And also that AEWCS video.

@Nilgiri
Yes here in IITM

@Nilgiri
Btw,did you go through the video? And good news is,IITM was recently ranked at #1 in india by NIRD. A lot of research activity is indeed going on here. Kindly go through the video of dual-pulse rocket development--an entirely indian R&D effort. And also that AEWCS video.

Yah I did go through them. The frequency response part (for rocket) was especially interesting. I also found that experimental determination is required past the rough theoretical modelling for precise coefficients in the harmonic modelling of a system....when I was doing such for both oscillations and buckling analysis of thin complex geometries.

As for the radar, it also impressed me a lot what they have achieved....because I have seen a couple of the algorithms used for post processing in various modes and fully appreciate the time and effort needed to perfect them given the sensitivities involved.

They will prove quite significant ground work for further research in picking up specific targets among ground clutter which is essential for India's strategic defense needs. Overall the embraer DRDO project will be a significant test bed for maturing a larger Indian AWACs down the road (which will be scaled up to phalcon size I believe). The input from israeli phalcon RnD was also significant I feel in India's current program from what I can gleam from that video regarding the different module capabilities and integrating the information routes to produce enhanced results. Israeli high end research on that was what distinguised the Phalcon quite significantly from previous AWAC technology....it is heartening to see India also sparing no effort in gaining a foothold in this area.

@MilSpec and @Water Car Engineer may find this thread interesting

Back
Top Bottom