What's new

Democracy is a failed experiment

lem34

New Recruit

Reaction score
80 percent of Americans are angry at the government

American's aren't all too happy with the US government.

Here’s some breaking news: Americans are angry at the government! A new poll conducted by ABC News and the Washington Post reveal that dissatisfaction with the US political system is at its highest in nearly 20 years.

The results of the poll reflect that the last time frustrations amounted to this level was in 1992 during an economic downturn that plagued the end of President George H.W. Bush’s first and only presidency. Now 19 years later, American opposition to Washington is at a nearly two decade high.

When polled on their thoughts regarding the federal government, 80 percent of those surveyed told researchers that they were either dissatisfied or even angry with the current state of government. This statistic marks an increase in 11 points from a month earlier, suggesting that the debt ceiling drama dominating both Capitol Hill and the White House is to blame for the sentiment. Despite weeks of attempted negations, Congress has yet to settle a way to deal with the debt limit crisis as the country gets closer and closer to the August 2 deadline imposed by the Treasury.

This week’s poll also reveals that, though President Obama’s approval rating in regards to handling the economy is at its lowest ever, congressional Republicans are only seeing an endorsement of 28 percent of the country. Both Obama and the GOP are also scorned particularly for their inability to handle the deficit and US taxes.

American angst is nearly double what it was in the year 2000. Since frustrations were last this high back in 1992, the US has witnessed the September 11 terrorist attacks, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Patriot Act, Bill Clinton’s sex scandals, the FBI firebombing of the Branch Davidian compound and eight glorious years of the George W Bush administration.

I was thinking a few days ago that the whole world especially the west seems to regard democracy as a holy cow. But my understanding of democracy has always been that the govt follows the will of the people. I mean we have a very corrupt democracy, indians are whining about their corrupt politicos in the article above american govt dont listen to their people, So why is democracy such a holy cow? Maybe we need to evolve a new system

If democracy is failed then what is successful. Those surveyed americans have been having their lives too easy, too good, with every facility in thier lives, great cities, top of the world, oh yes, i dont blame them to be bored of all these, maybe they come to afghanistan for a change.

Aryan @ what are your suggestions to improve democracy ?? or do you have any democracy 2.0 version which americans dont know yet ???

100% of Indians are angry at their government.Still,I would prefer it over military dictatorship any day.

I appreciate if you post the link as well. But what i see here is the disatisfaction of people with their gov not the system. And if it is system, then did ABC ask the survyed americans what system do they want instead if democracy failed?

I think Pakistan should simply let the junta take over. They always perform better under military rulers. Guess the model suits them better.

Yah right, worlds most developed, rich, educated and successful countries happen to be democratic. Surely the signs of a failed experiment:undecided:

Aryan @ what are your suggestions to improve democracy ?? or do you have any democracy 2.0 version which americans dont know yet ???

The versions of democracy that we have in existance and that the west wish to propagate is nothing more than an anaesthtic to soothe their collective conscience and propogate the myth that they are civilised. If they really believed in justice democracy etc it would also apply to international relations. In international relations it seems to me that might is right plays more of a part than it should.
Before we can entertain ideas of democracy in our countries we need the electrate to have a high degree of literacy. It is no surprise for me to see the spring revolutions in arab countries. For example gadaffi had money via oil and allowed free education to his population without realising the long term consequences of education. 40 years of his rule and free eductaion lead to producing a society where people realise they are being exploited.

We need a system that combines popularity with competence merit and wisdom. Rather than just on popularity. We need a road map to achieve all this and I would have no problem to initially during this period maybe having military rule for lets say 30 to 40 years. This is not ideal but at least there is a good chance that the generals are there on merit as opposed to Bilal bollxxs zardari bhutto who just inherited slaves in ppp. The job of the military rule would be to make education compulsory for all. At the same time line up 500 or so families that have dominated our politics and industry and have been involved in corruption and shoot them this would be an example to our people that corruption does not pay. Then like a cask of wine let fermentation take place.

Sorry my liberal side is cringing but i think we neeed drastic action in pakistan

Yah right, worlds most developed, rich, educated and successful countries happen to be democratic. Surely the signs of a failed experiment:undecided:

as i said before, they are probably bored of the life which everybody in this world envy it.

Burma, North Korea model , eh ?

North Korea is not under junta. It is under the fat Kims whose model is similar ot the ones of many tyrants in the history. Junta is different in terms of governance.

But yes, the Burmese model. It simply seems to suit Pakistan much better compared to us. They like all that oneness and this and that and Army is the best tool to bring that sort of discipline.

100% of Indians are angry at their government.Still,I would prefer it over military dictatorship any day.

I think we are brainwashed into thinking that democracy is the best by the west we should look at other models

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time...Winston Churchill

Back
Top Bottom