What's new

Defense Budget Hiked to 2.3 Lakh Crore

Clearly a political move- Modi promised this throughout his election campaign but also a signal being sent out to the military that they will be looked after. This has been a pressing desire for the forces for DECADES, Modi said he would improve military-civlian ties and this is a step in the right direction.....

Why not now?

Exactly, but he is in power for at least 5 years! Why on earth is there a need to use the limited money now, instead of using a later most likely higher budget under better circumstances in India? He would keep his promis even if that money would only be provided in the last budget of this term wouldn't it?
It's about priorities and not political moves!

i don't think 2.3 lakh crore will be spent completely. It is a very big amount.

I'm sorry I don't agree, even if no one visits it is still worth it- having no national war memorial for the tens of thousands of Indian soldiers who have died for their nation is a national shame for India. These men deserve a place where all their names are displayed forever for whomever wants to visit.

rather I will be in favor of erecting one big lion capital

Exactly, but he is in power for at least 5 years! Why on earth is there a need to use the limited money now, instead of using a later most likely higher budget under better circumstances in India? He would keep his promis even if that money would only be provided in the last budget of this term wouldn't it?
I guess he wants to be seen as delivering on promises and fair enough, the military must be pushing for this pretty hard (they have been waiting for decades) and this is a low hanging fruit that required very little else other than a green light. It is a non-controvesial project that will carry a lot of goodwill.

i don't think 2.3 lakh crore will be spent completely. It is a very big amount.
Care to explain? If procurements get given the clearances then I see this 95%+ of this budget being utilised.

I guess he wants to be seen as delivering on promises and fair enough, the military must be pushing for this pretty hard (they have been waiting for decades) and this is a low hanging fruit that required very little else other than a green light. It is a non-controvesial project that will carry a lot of goodwill.

I don't think they will prefer it over the currently needed weapons or techs, if he promises to bring it in a later budget.
Anyway, do you have an idea or a source of how much of the budget is allocated for procurements?

Nobody is denying that it's good to have such a memorial, but why now? Why use the money in the first budget in such a crucial time?

Modi promised current and ex military members more support.... I guess this is his way to say that he remembers them.

And this memorial is much cheaper and faster to implement than buying everything thats on the wishlists of the IA; IAF and the IN.

why cant u indians use billions always crorrs
by the way how much in $$
around 40 billion USD`s I guess

I don't think they will prefer it over the currently needed weapons or techs, if he promises to bring it in a later budget.
It is what it is sir, I can see it from both sides but looking at the big picture $60mn USD is nothing really.

Anyway, do you have an idea or a source of how much of the budget is allocated for procurements?
Would love to know the CAPEX budget for 2014-15 to see what deals we could expect to be signed this year from the pending ones we know- MMRCA, A330 MRTT AAR, C-17 follow-ons, C-47F, AH-64E, N-MRH, M777 and 2 follow-on PHALCON AWACS. My gut feeling is that some of these deals will elapse over to the 2015-16 budget.

exactly my point sir....

Modi promised current and ex military members more support.... I guess this is his way to say that he remembers them.

And this memorial is much cheaper and faster to implement than buying everything thats on the wishlists of the IA; IAF and the IN.

As I said earlier, I am not against it and there is no problem in him doing it, but it simply don't have to be in their first budget and at this time when the money is better used for more urgent needs.

It is what it is sir, I can see it from both sides but looking at the big picture $60mn USD is nothing really.

I disagree, that's a huge sum that could be used better today.

I disagree, that's a huge sum that could be used better today.
If given to the SOFs it could go far sure, but in the grand scheme of things it is a relatively small amount (60-70% of a Rafale for instance).

A national war memorial for $60MN is money well spent to some people. To all those countless families who have lost loved ones I think they would say this amount is perfectly justifiable. It's difficult not to justify this sort of expenditure on this project.

$60MN is around 0.15% of the defence budget.

Is this a new policy? AFAIK this has NEVER been the case, no matter how much the forces return each year they are given a larger allocation the next year as the economy grows, the defence budget hasn't shrunk in real terms for at least 15 years.

I would like the defence budget to become non-elapsable so that funds carried over from fiscal to fiscal meaning there wasn't this, frankly, sickening situation of returning funds to the MoD at the end of every FY.

Back
Top Bottom