What's new

Defense Analyst

mjehan

New Recruit

Reaction score
Hi,

I have finished my B.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I am currently deciding which Master degree to purse. I am living in Europe and I will be here for the next 5 years.

The kind of job I am looking for is as a Defense Analyst. I am a civilian and I wish to stay that way. I have specialized in Electronics and Telecommunications.

Can anyone guide me in what Masters Degree I should pursue that keeps me on track to become a Defense Analyst for a Defense Research Insitute or Defense Company. Any advice is welcome.

Agent J

What kind of degree should I go for at masters and PHD level to become a defense analyst?

Since you're new in this field I guess you start writing articles or analysis and send them to major defence related media and wait till someone is really interested in investing in you.

Are you interested in system analysis or defence in general?

Hi,

I have finished my B.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I am currently deciding which Master degree to purse. I am living in Europe and I will be here for the next 5 years.

The kind of job I am looking for is as a Defense Analyst. I am a civilian and I wish to stay that way. I have specialized in Electronics and Telecommunications.

Can anyone guide me in what Masters Degree I should pursue that keeps me on track to become a Defense Analyst for a Defense Research Insitute or Defense Company. Any advice is welcome.

Agent J

We have a wing under the PNA for defence analysis and analyzing the political and social situation of the sub continent. Our role is also to respond to foreign propaganda which is really becoming a pain in the ***. We are not paid for what we do and it solely for the purpose of a better future for Pakistan and to counter foreign intelligence and their terror that we do it so I dont really have great knowledge about the field and am not a professional.

In some places its called intelligence analysis but really its the same thing. Intelligence analysis is done by intelligence agencies based on evidence and intelligence gathered by operatives or agents. We get our information from political agents in positions of authority and powerful people and representatives we have set up in several regions who pass on interesting information to us. Rest is available on the net and the insider information we need from the spot we get it quite easily from the nationalist members who are either in army or government. For example we have a guy in Swat who passes on information every week about the swat situation.

Hi,

Agent J

Get an MSc. Degree from Quaid-I-Azam University Islamabad in Defence & Strategic Studies. If you have it in you and perform well you'll be considered a potential analyst from your 4th semester. Immediately after your MSc ISI, IB and various Research Institutes/Organizations will offer jobs. Again if you have it in you and you have performed well you'll get the job.

Besides that you'll be student of analysts such as Dr. Rifaat Hussain, Perviaz Iqbal Cheema etc ...

Most of the Islamabad's IR and Defence analyst come from DSS.

There's more to becoming a respectable analyst than degrees, what you need is networking skills and the right people on your side coupled with top notch communication skills, experience in a specific defense related field or employment with a defense contractor or corporation. Any combination of these on top of degrees is required.

Well the thing is that the "analyst" department has been institutionalized in Pakistan (they had been institutionalized long time ago but only received importance recently). Now we call them "think tanks." Therefore if you are not working for a Think Tank you are not an analyst (or a credible analyst at least) And to work at these institutions you need degrees in DSS, IR, Political Science etc ... The only alternatives are that you are a professor/lecturer on military/international affairs, practitioner (or had been one in the past) or a media personality. Media also requires that you have either done some sort of course or have/had been a practitioner or a professor.

Well the thing is that the "analyst" department has been institutionalized in Pakistan (they had been institutionalized long time ago but only received importance recently). Now we call them "think tanks." Therefore if you are not working for a Think Tank you are not an analyst (or a credible analyst at least) And to work at these institutions you need degrees in DSS, IR, Political Science etc ... The only alternatives are that you are a professor/lecturer on military/international affairs, practitioner (or had been one in the past) or a media personality. Media also requires that you have either done some sort of course or have/had been a practitioner or a professor.

SABRE nice to see you here.

But my question is MS degree of Quaid e azam university not recognised by international universities if some student wanted further specialization for example MPHIL or PHD ,he has to do MS again and then MPHIL/PHD in any subject.

Hi,

Agent J

Looking at all sorts of people claiming Defence analysts, I really doubt if you need any formal degree. All you need is a good knowledge of history and sensitive mind to read in between lines.. ofcourse a very cool head..

RK

Looking at all sorts of people claiming Defence analysts, I really doubt if you need any formal degree. All you need is a good knowledge of history and sensitive mind to read in between lines.. ofcourse a very cool head..

RK

Please dont confuse him

Sample pasted for guidance

Senior Defense Analyst
Qualifications

• Education: Bachelors degree required, Masters degree preferred

• Experience: 10+ years experience

• Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:

o Proficiency with DoD Planning, Programming, and Budgeting System mandatory
o Air Force Pentagon experience in Acquisition (SAF/AQ), Logistics (A4), or Strategic Plans and Programs (A8) preferred
o Experience within an Air Logistics Center or Air Force aircraft engine program highly desired

Duties & Responsibilities

• Develop and coordinate programming and budget issues
• Develop and coordinate headquarter level staff positions

KIHOMAC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.

RK

Thats the different between defense anaylsts of Brasstrack & CNN / FOX news.

In the past govt. they have heavily invested in institutionalizing the defense anaylitical part of our forces & by virtue of which some very highly enlightening material is being produced.

For DSS

QAU official website says you must have done B.A./B.Sc. with one of the following Elective subjects: -
Political Science, Economics, History, Sociology, Geography, Psychology, International Relations, Journalism, Mass Communication, Defence & Diplomatic Studies, Applied Psychology and Pakistan Studies.

For IR

International Relations B.A/B.Sc./BBA/B.Sc.(Hons) degree holders with one of the following Elective subjects: -
Political Sciences, Journalism, International Relations, History, Geography, Psychology, Applied Psychology, Economics, Philosophy and Sociology.

Hi,

Agent J

There are two types of defence analysts, technical and non-technical. In this hi-tech world, the non-technical analyst cant go beyond a certain limit. World of defence is highly technical.

As you are engineer, I would advise you to become a technical defence analyst.

For that matter, you can do MSc Defence Systems Engineering from Univeristy College of London or

You can try various programmes of Royal Military College of Science, which is affiliated with Cranfield University in Uk. I think it has been recently renamed as "Defence College of Management and Technology". There, for example, you can do a Masters in "Guided Weapon Systems".

Then you can try Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) for various degrees in defence.

Just forget about QAU, they give a non-technical defence degree. I have been a student there.

I was always either first or second in the class tests despite the fact that officers from Army, Navy and Air Force were also in the class. Despite my distinctions and repute, the deptt did not allow me to sit in the exam just because my attendance was below 75%. I could not come regularly due to job.

Economics was more important, so I left the DSS.

Last edited:
SABRE nice to see you here.

But my question is MS degree of Quaid e azam university not recognised by international universities if some student wanted further specialization for example MPHIL or PHD ,he has to do MS again and then MPHIL/PHD in any subject.

QAU's M.Sc degree "is" recognized internationally. Many of the DSS students join international institutes for further studies. Most of them go to Kings College for "War Studies" (Kings accept the degree with 3.5 GPA and admits in their MA War studies for 1 year, instead of regular 2).

International Think Tanks like Stimpson Center also accept DSS Students (that is if you have proved your self to be worthy).

For DSS

QAU official website says you must have done B.A./B.Sc. with one of the following Elective subjects: -
Political Science, Economics, History, Sociology, Geography, Psychology, International Relations, Journalism, Mass Communication, Defence & Diplomatic Studies, Applied Psychology and Pakistan Studies.

For IR

International Relations B.A/B.Sc./BBA/B.Sc.(Hons) degree holders with one of the following Elective subjects: -
Political Sciences, Journalism, International Relations, History, Geography, Psychology, Applied Psychology, Economics, Philosophy and Sociology.

Yup ! I had Political Science, IR and Muslim History-&-Culture under my badge when I joined.

I believe some changes have been made before the former Chairman Zafar Iqbal Cheema left. Now Rifaat Hussain is in charge and further changes in admission policy are under consideration. I recommend you visit the department yourself and ask for "Sarwar Sahab." He has been there since the inception of the department and can guide you better.

Back
Top Bottom