What's new

Defence clears new corps on China border

JanjaWeed

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
After much back and forth, the Defence Ministry has cleared setting up of a mountain strike corps along the China border, signalling its intent to press ahead with plans to strengthen offensive military capabilities despite recent calls from Beijing for a "new type" of military relationship.

The plan involves fresh accretion of close to 89,000 soldiers and 400 officers. The focus, sources said, is to be able to launch a counter-offensive into Tibet in case of a "Kargil-type adventure" by China.

The proposal was first mooted in 2010 and given an in-principle go ahead by the Cabinet Committee on Security a year later, but was sent back last year with instructions for a re-look by all three services so that a common plan could be drawn up.

It took the Chiefs of Staff Committee another six months to review the plan, which was also essential because the Army Chief had changed since the proposal was first moved.

Sources said the proposal has now been reworked with some minor changes relating to additional Air Force elements. The projected amount too has gone up marginally from the earlier estimate of about Rs 65,000 crore.

The new strike corps is expected to come up in Panagarh, West Bengal, along with two more divisions. An independent armoured brigade along with an artillery division may be part of the set-up. Already, two divisions are being raised in the eastern theatre.

However, the road ahead will still be difficult, particularly given the strain on the Finance Ministry at this point. While this is not going to be a one-time expenditure, it does fly in the face of North Block's efforts to effect expenditure cuts to contain the growing fiscal deficit.

In its last version too, the proposal had faced some tough questions from the Finance Ministry, including a searching query on how long South Block expected the China threat to last. As of now, China has made some very conciliatory noises. However, New Delhi believes that is because of its preoccupation on the eastern front.

The plan

Fresh accretion of close to 89,000 soldiers, 400 officers

Corps to come up in Panagarh, West Bengal, with two more divisions

Independent armoured brigade, artillery division may be part of the set-up

Should be capable of counter-offensive into Tibet in case of a 'Kargil-type adventure' by China

Defence clears new corps on China border - Indian Express

So finally we shall see movement on the acquisition of the 145 M-777s too as they were supposed to equip this very corps.

Counter offensive into Tibetan ? Why? Sound little bit delusionl.

China is delivering positive message to India. India take this one as a demonstration of compromisation to our east border preoccupation, then I am sorry to tell you are wrong. I can smell what Indian think in this forum, opportunities at its best. If anyone take chance this time to launch attack on the border, we will not hesitate to bust its *** in no time. If you guys accept the olive branch we deliver, we will be fine.

I think the resources could be used to greater effect elsewhere. It is fine to prepare for any contingency but raising such a huge force at mammoth expense with one foe in mind is counter-intuative and a bit of a waste of resources.

Also it is giving mixed messages to the world and China. I suppose intention is to go with the velvet glove over an iron fist approach with China. But it just seems that the GoI is listening to those hawkish elements that are playing up the likelihood of an Indian-Chinese conflict.

China is delivering positive message to India. India take this one as a demonstration of compromisation to our east border preoccupation, then I am sorry to tell you are wrong. I can smell what Indian think in this forum, opportunities at its best. If anyone take chance this time to launch attack on the border, we will not hesitate to bust its *** in no time. If you guys accept the olive branch we deliver, we will be fine.
Actions done by china are real and taken face value then words....messages are tactics....

I think the resources could be used to greater effect elsewhere. It is fine to prepare for any contingency but raising such a huge force at mammoth expense with one foe in mind is counter-intuative and a bit of a waste of resources.

Also it is giving mixed messages to the world and China. I suppose intention is to go with the velvet glove over an iron fist approach with China. But it just seems that the GoI is listening to those hawkish elements that are playing up the likelihood of an Indian-Chinese conflict.

China missiles facing india since india started developing missile, so why cant india now put missile and men on border.

China has the power to deal with multiple front war in the same time, don't forget it we also have support from Pakistan.
the support you provided in pak in kargil, same way pak can provide.

China monster stuff is always welcomed in the Indian political market. Day by day, China is no more than an excuse for IA reinforce its armament. No conflict at border for many years already.

When China deliver Olive branch to India, many Indian say its a conspiracy.
When China deploy huge pressure on the border, Indian say Chinese is hostile and aggressive. What the heck shall we do? At least India side should make some positive movement as well for responding. Any one in this forum don't wanna improvement on bilateral relationship please raise you hands! And tell me why?

If a Chinese standing on the street and roaring ' China should attack India' will be deemed as a maniac by public. Our concern is Japan and USA, not even Vietnam and Phillipine.

When China deliver Olive branch to India, many Indian say its a conspiracy.
When China deploy huge pressure on the border, Indian say Chinese is hostile and aggressive. What the heck shall we do? At least India side should make some positive movement as well for responding. Any one in this forum don't wanna improvement on bilateral relationship please raise you hands! And tell me why?

If a Chinese standing on the street and roaring ' China should attack India' will be deemed as a maniac by public. Our concern is Japan and USA, not even Vietnam and Phillipine.

I don't think you should read too much into this , Nation's always move and create troops along its border , its even understandable when the border is a flash point between 3 nuclear armed countries.

The only point in the above article which was worrying ;

Should be capable of counter-offensive into Tibet in case of a 'Kargil-type adventure' by China

After doing bit of digging found out , it was because China made 24 attempts to take hold of the Dalulatbeg air base during the last India-Pakistan conflict in Kargil.

Not once , twice but 24 times ???? now this is news to me !! , I though china only help Pakistan with material.

I am hoping someone over here can provide bit more info on this? , all i could find was the link above in my earlier post

if this is indeed true , then war on 2 fronts is inevitable, hence India is doing what it must .

its known fact , china has moved men and material to Tibet and can strike India if need be with ease.

So in the next attempt , they plan to send china back with a bloody nose !

The weaker side always has worries, it is normal. We are only raising defense preparedness, no one should be worried. It is defensive not offensive move.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom