What's new

Decade: A story of women empowerment in a Punjab village

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Decade, a film by Atif Ahmad Qureshi and Muhammad Iqbal Akram, focuses on women’s education in the rural areas of Pakistan. It highlights violence against women in Pakistan and the role of culture in perpetuating that violence.

Revolving around a village of Punjab, Thathi Bhanguan, the film starts in the year 1999, when no girl in the village was allowed to get education.

It tells the story of how one woman, along with some other village women, took a stand for their rights and continued the struggle by going door to door and urging them to educate their women. Despite extreme criticism initially, they succeeded in changing people’s minds and perception.

And now, after a decade, every girl in the village there goes to school and women are given the right to make decisions for themselves.

Decade: A story of women empowerment in a Punjab village – The Express Tribune

Last edited by a moderator:
Really glad to hear that,

It's really alien thing to hear girls not studying in Punjab (as i am not familiar with other provinces) --- May be some far villages in Pakistan still so backward to not send their girls for education

Really glad to hear that,

It's really alien thing to hear girls not studying in Punjab (as i am not familiar with other provinces) --- May be some far villages in Pakistan still so backward to not send their girls for education

you have no idea how messed up it is. where do you fit in the 11 million out of school children in Punjab? they are not stats, or some ghost figures, they all have flesh and bones like us !

p.s.

and if you dont have any idea how fuccked up things are in rural punjab, you really dont have no idea of how fuccked up things are in Sindh, go through Sindh and it seems you are passing through 18th century.

p.s. consider yourself lucky to be born around GT road

you have no idea how messed up it is. where do you fit in the 11 million out of school children in Punjab? they are not stats, or some ghost figures, they all have flesh and bones like us !

I know labour tabqa don't go to school because they cannot afford it. They rather work and earn 200-500 rupees per day. But when you ask them, they claim we can't survive if we study and not work but they never expressed the intention before me that education is bad or girls shouldn't study (like they mention in this documentary above).

Majority of those 11 million people don't go to school because they can't afford it.

I know labour tabqa don't go to school because they cannot afford it. They rather work and earn 200-500 rupees per day. But when you ask them, they claim we can't survive if we study and not work but they never expressed the intention before me that education is bad or girls shouldn't study (like they mention in this documentary above).

Majority of those 11 million people don't go to school because they can't afford it.

Again you have no idea. how about I give the figure. 30 rs for a female worker in the field for a day with her own food, 60 for a male.

uptill multan this per day salary holds true.

yes they cannot afford, but education is free uptil 8th, but the problem is non enforcement of the facility.

Again you have no idea. how about I give the figure. 30 rs for a female worker in the field for a day with her own food, 60 for a male.

yes they cannot afford, but education is free uptil 8th, but the problem is non enforcement of the facility.

leader ruza nai rukna?:what:

So education is "free". Does that include transportation to and from school, or books, or copies, or uniforms, or even a takhti? Even if there are no school fees, how can a manual day laborer afford all that?

Education involves much more than declaring it to be "free".

What an inspiring story!

"When you educate a man you educate an individual, when you educate a girl you educate a whole family."

Good story but why do we promote such blatantly sexist comments? Is there actually any evidence to support this claim?

Are we saying that children born to an educated women who get to spend time with their children are better educated?

I like such stories but I dislike promoting rhetorical non sense at the same time.

p.s.

and if you dont have any idea how fuccked up things are in rural punjab, you really dont have no idea of how fuccked up things are in Sindh, go through Sindh and it seems you are passing through 18th century.

p.s. consider yourself lucky to be born around GT road
@Leader

in some way you are right BUT you know the big problem its not about children don't wanna study or their parents dont wanna send them to school. majority of cases as i have village there reason for not studying i sbecause they think even after study they will not get any job as they feel its better to earn some money and live better life rather than going to school and be unemployed

if you ask them why you dont send your children school and even if you ask children they will give many examples of their village that this guy done graduate and since three years didnt get job every one ask money to get job so what benefit. there are thousands of examples. many children are doing labour job and helping there family to earn or for their sisters marriage. You cant blame govt. its our cultural and society fault too.....

In our country even those who go to school is not about they wanna learn some thing. its because they want to earn more money. so problem lies in us for, us education is also way to get good earning. thats why you will found alot of educated illiterates among us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom