Status
Not open for further replies.

Srirangan

Reaction score
Indian Air Force to purchase 200 MRCA's

Date: 22/11/2005
Agency: Various Agencies
Topics: india indian air force defense military

India will increase the number of Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) it plans to buy to 200, opening the door for more than one supplier, said Air Force and Ministry of Defence officials.

The Indian Cabinet Committee on Security, which clears major defense programs, in October accepted the Air Force's proposal to increase the number from the original 126, for which a request for information already has been sent to overseas vendors. The value of the original contract was $5 billion; the revised plan brings the combined value of one or more contracts to $8.5 billion.

A senior Defence Ministry official said the Air Force plans to phase out 60 of its 140 Jaguar aircraft in the next five years, by which time MMRCAs would start arriving. The additional planes will replace more Jaguars, aging MiG-23s, and some squadrons of MiG-27s, an Air Force official said.

The official said the first batch of MMRCAs could be supplied by one vendor, and perhaps the second lot could be made in India under licensed production from the same or a different vendor.

A request for information for the initial 126 planes was sent to Lockheed Martin for its F-16, Saab for the JAS 39 Gripen, Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG (RAC MiG) for the MiG-29 SMT, and Dassault Aviation for the Mirage 2000-5. Boeing also has offered its F/A-18 aircraft for consideration, as has RAC MiG for the MiG-35.

The indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is due to replace the services MiG-21 combat aircraft, but that program is more than a decade behind schedule. The LCA is slated for limited production by 2007 or 2008.

Defence Ministry sources said it will be difficult for the government to choose among the four vendors because political and strategic considerations must be weighed in addition to technical factors.

The sources noted that the move to buy up to 200 MMRCAs would certainly ease the governments burden, as more then one type of MMRCA could be selected.

They said the Air Force favors the French Mirage 2000-5 aircraft, but cannot ignore the firm from Russia, which is the largest supplier of arms and equipment to the Indian Defense Forces. However, it has been a year since Moscow and India have penned an arms deal. Russia has insisted India first sign an intellectual property rights accord on defense equipment and weapons, which would not allow Indias Russian-built weaponry to be upgraded or fitted with equipment from a third country.

Another consideration is that India and the United States have entered into a new strategic partnership, with Washington agreeing to provide nuclear and space technology for civilian use. The purchase of the F-16 or F/A-18 would signal the beginning of a new defense relationship between India and the United States, said Surya Pal Singh, retired Indian Air Force air commodore.

The purchase of two types of MMRCAs not only will help speed up acquisition of the aircraft, it also may help the Air Force acquire American aircraft, which have been offered with the latest radar, Singh said.

India wants as part of the MMRCA package the U.S. Active Electronically Scanned Array radar as well as new-generation missiles, the Defence Ministry official said.

The number of the MRCA deal has been increased from 126 to 200, some reports indicated 210. The speculation is that the order will be split betw more than one vendor. All four candidates appear to be equally likely, this is going to be interesting.

Actually, initially the IAF's MMRCA requirement was of 220 which was reduced to 126 around 2003-04. Now its back to its original strength. Possible combinations are anybody's guess, mine is as good as yours.

As far as the LCA, HAL has started the serial production of 40 LCA's and the first ones are expected to be inducted in 2007. FYI the LCA would never replace the Su-30 MKI's. LCA's are totally different from the Su-30 series. LCA is a light, single engined fighter, whereas the role of the MKI is that of a long range air superiority fighter/bomber.

The LCA's are expected to replace the MiG 21 and 23 series by 2015 starting 2007.

Originally posted by Srirangan@Nov 23 2005, 05:25 PM
Actually, initially the IAF's MMRCA requirement was of 220 which was reduced to 126 around 2003-04. Now its back to its original strength. Possible combinations are anybody's guess, mine is as good as yours.

As far as the LCA, HAL has started the serial production of 40 LCA's and the first ones are expected to be inducted in 2007. FYI the LCA would never replace the Su-30 MKI's. LCA's are totally different from the Su-30 series. LCA is a light, single engined fighter, whereas the role of the MKI is that of a long range air superiority fighter/bomber.

The LCA's are expected to replace the MiG 21 and 23 series by 2015 starting 2007.
[post=3523]Quoted post[/post]​

I know all things about the LCA i was just kidding

When these 40 LCA would come out on the runways i mean to say that in how much time they will be out can you tell me time frame and how many LCAs can HAL produce in a year is it going to increase in the coming years HAL should think about the increase in the hardpoints same which i say about the Thunder.
We can see the plane coming in this generation i.e the rafales and the EU fighter they have a lot of hardpoints more then 10.

As per some reports LCA would join IAF from Mar-2007 onwards.HAL is expecting to deliever all 40 planes before 2012.On the basis of these 4-5 years exp IAF can increase LCA numbers upto 200-250.So you can calculate how much time it would require for all LCA planes.

The most competitor fighters i believe would be Mirage 2000-5, and F-18 Super Hornet in terms of qualtiy being given to IAF. Since now IAF is considering to buy 2 types of aircrafts which will not just be replacing Mig-21s but will also replacing the Jaguars of IAF.

Mirage 2000-5 would probably be the first choice of IAF as it would give the TOT? and also is the main competitor of F-16 Block 50, considering that Pakistan is acquiring more F-16s its really looks like that Mirage 2000-5 will be likely choice in the future for IAF. Now its interesting that what other aircraft will IAF be really interested in? Will it be Mig-35 which yet not even exists or will it be Gripen which is the very possible out come of PAF in the future.

MRCA deal is getting interesting. Looking at F-18 Super Hornet i wouldn't call it very bad choice, it will bring in new qualtive weapons in the IAF inventory, and it is very highly unlikely that United States will ever slap sanctions on India, it will further improve ties of both countries, but on the other hand will significantly effect its strategical ally Russia.

Originally posted by WebMaster@Nov 23 2005, 10:03 PM
The most competitor fighters i believe would be Mirage 2000-5, and F-18 Super Hornet in terms of qualtiy being given to IAF. Since now IAF is considering to buy 2 types of aircrafts which will not just be replacing Mig-21s but will also replacing the Jaguars of IAF.

Mirage 2000-5 would probably be the first choice of IAF as it would give the TOT? and also is the main competitor of F-16 Block 50, considering that Pakistan is acquiring more F-16s its really looks like that Mirage 2000-5 will be likely choice in the future for IAF. Now its interesting that what other aircraft will IAF be really interested in? Will it be Mig-35 which yet not even exists or will it be Gripen which is the very possible out come of PAF in the future.

MRCA deal is getting interesting. Looking at F-18 Super Hornet i wouldn't call it very bad choice, it will bring in new qualtive weapons in the IAF inventory, and it is very highly unlikely that United States will ever slap sanctions on India, it will further improve ties of both countries, but on the other hand will significantly effect its strategical ally Russia.
[post=3548]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I agree with you on the Mirage 2000 choice but, I dont think India would wanna go for the F-18 Super hornet because
1)Its comeing from a not-reliable supplier for the F-18
2)India will have to get whole new class of weapons like AIM 9L etc...
3)India will then have to maintain 6-8 different fighters
4)It'll be much easier to go for a Russian plane since there more used to them and wont have to train new pilots for a whole new plane
So there's more of a chance India might go for the MIG-35 than the F-18.

If India is getting extra fighters that could mean they might slash the number of LCAs.

Originally posted by Pyongyang@Nov 24 2005, 12:00 AM
If India is getting extra fighters that could mean they might slash the number of LCAs.
[post=3559]Quoted post[/post]​

There's already to much different types of fighters,after the MRCA deal goes through India will likely have 10-12 different fighters. Imagine the cost,training,and maitenance for all those fighters.

If True PAF is totally F***ED if you know what i mean and if this isnt a rumor PAF better think something quick and very fast

this would surge through the pakistani media in the next few days like a huricane and the peoples of pakistan would decide to get the F16s!!

so doent worry...the F16s are now confirmed!

But we also need another 5th generation fighter with F16 like Typhoon, JSF or Jxx because if we relies on only one fighter(F16), then IAF will only focus on "how to counter F-16s?"

Originally posted by Srirangan@Nov 25 2005, 01:16 AM
Typhoon isn't 5th gen.
[post=3626]Quoted post[/post]​
i think he meant 4.5> although Rafale has active cancellation which can in a sence be termed a 5th gen feature...what about the Typhoon??

Stealth, both these fighter acutely lack in stealth which is the hallmark of the F22 and the JSF programs, and also of projects like PAKFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom