What's new

Dar announces 35-rupee hike in petrol price

That is reason only to work harder to improve incomes where Pakistani people can afford those necessities and luxuries that they want to be able to enjoy. Asking for subsidies and handouts is not a durable solution, as we can clearly see. Here, the pain of doubling of energy prices across the board in a short period has cause similar hardships. The government gave a temporary releif by suspending some taxes, but even that was only for a short period, since such measures cannot last indefinitely.
And how exactly do you propose that to happen I mean work harder when factories are closing down, businesses shutting down and people getting unemployed.
Just see this

https://profit.pakistantoday.com.pk...off-7-million-workers-threatens-to-shut-down/

The above is just one example. Suzuki, Honda, and Toyota all closed down plants multiple times due to the failure of the government. Where do you think the workforce is going to go?

People cant work harder when there is no work, to begin with. You are firing empty shots without having any idea of what's going on here in Pakistan.

You are firing empty shots without having any idea of what's going on here in Pakistan.

What is happening in Pakistan now is nothing new. It has happened many times in the past as well, and Pakistan still chooses to keep revisiting such crises periodically. By choice. Getting upset at me for stating the reality clearly will achieve nothing.

And that is one of the reasons why Pakistan is in the mess that it is in today. It borrows money to subsidise consumeables but then has NO plan to work out how to generate any form of income to repay those loans ...

If the people of Pakistan paid the going rate for things - then they may get more involved in who is making decisions in teh country and how it affects what they get to put into their stomachs. Right now - it is sterile.

There is needs to be some hunger, and some real anger otherwise things will never get better.
See my above response to VCheng!

I have pointed out the need for increasing direct taxes many times. This will also reduce the role of indirect taxes. But Pakistan choose to keep its regressive tax system rather than reforming it.

If the exorbitant tax component is removed from POL prices, the fortnightly review will be a straight forward matter with marginal changes in the prices just like it happens in the rest of the world. The problem is the government and FBR are unable ( unwilling) to increase direct taxation. Just look at the proposed mini budget and you would see that they are targetting the already taxed sectors. Agriculture income, real estate, precious metals etc etc are going to be untaxed as usual.

The problem is the government and FBR are unable ( unwilling) to increase direct taxation.

That is not a problem. It is a conscious choice by design.

What is happening in Pakistan now is nothing new. It has happened many times in the past as well, and Pakistan still chooses to keep revisiting such crises periodically. By choice. Getting upset at me for stating the reality clearly will achieve nothing.
You haven't answered on the work harder thing? How are we supposed to work harder when there is no work to being with?
What is happening in Pakistan now is nothing new. It has happened many times in the past as well
Not it hasn't happened many times but only once during the war of 71 and I mean the level of melt down we are witnessing today.

Not it hasn't happened many times but only once during the war of 71 and I mean the level of melt down we are witnessing today.
They all think the same. He , Signal, blain, irfan etc that this is nothing new. People's sentiments will settle afterwards.

In this age where everything is being recorded, and young people have suffered, how will things go to normal? Yes, the temperature may go down a little but things will never be the same.

The army doesn't agree with Newton's basic law that every action has a reaction.

You haven't answered on the work harder thing? How are we supposed to work harder when there is no work to being with?

Please note that working harder to improve incomes is a sustained team effort that cannot be done in a few months or by workers only. And it takes decades for such work to produce results. If Pakistan starts doing so now after not doing so for decades, it will take a long time to improve the situation. You are applying that statement only to workers in the middle of the current crisis. That is simply not going to work, and that is not what I am referring to here.

Remember when the Pakistani government seized ALL foreign currency accounts and paid out only a fixed lower exchange rate? Still hasn't happened this time around. Thus far.

Last edited:
And that is one of the reasons why Pakistan is in the mess that it is in today. It borrows money to subsidise consumeables but then has NO plan to work out how to generate any form of income to repay those loans ...

If the people of Pakistan paid the going rate for things - then they may get more involved in who is making decisions in teh country and how it affects what they get to put into their stomachs. Right now - it is sterile.

There is needs to be some hunger, and some real anger otherwise things will never get better.

Kind sir, GOP has always been living beyond its means. The current problem started when funds from US started drying which used to come in the past under one pretext or the other. Its just a matter of 5-10 billion dollars which we are unable to arrange at the moment. If somehow these are arranged, we will continue our merry ways. Since we have been shown the door by all donors, GOP has been forced to start reforms as a last resort (which are still are far cry from actual reforms).

no public will protest even petrolmhit to 300 or 400

pakistanis are super hidden rich and they kept their money hidden

There should be no petrol/diesel price announcements or control by politicians/bureaucrats. Change price every week. Make small incremental changes. People will not notice.

That's how Indians are paying an equivalent of PKR 300 for a litre of petrol, without any protest.
Clearly you indians aren't well-versed in Darnomics. Pity

Umeed e saher
Someone rightly named her "Umeed-e-qeher"

I think this is the result of controlling fuel prices which you can't anymore. Short term pain, long term benefits. Let market control it and not electioneering. Expect more increase to match global prices.

After rate hike petrol price will match or still be lower than India. Pakistanis want facilities but don’t want to pay taxes. More than politicians it’s the people who are responsible for where Pakistan is currently. Even after Crude oil was record high. Imran did not raise the price as much. This depleted your reserves.

I check the price is 249 PKR / Liter. Which is 80 INR in India. India is selling at 90 INR/Liter after getting cheaper Russian oil. Log hi pagal hai. Sarakar tax nahi legi to paise kahan se aayega.

After rate hike petrol price will match or still be lower than India. Pakistanis want facilities but don’t want to pay taxes. More than politicians it’s the people who are responsible for where Pakistan is currently. Even after Crude oil was record high. Imran did not raise the price as much. This depleted your reserves.

I check the price is 249 PKR / Liter. Which is 80 INR in India. India is selling at 90 INR/Liter after getting cheaper Russian oil. Log hi pagal hai. Sarakar tax nahi legi to paise kahan se aayega.
this.is why all govt.officials.takingn100.litre free some.taking 1000.litre free

Back
Top Bottom