Cyclone Phet approaching Pakistan’s coastal areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone saw double Rainbow in karachi ??

here is the pic...
4675066192_f937f856dc_b.jpg

Subhan'Allah

Cyclone Phet hits Karachi south, says Met

KARACHI: Director General of Meteorological Department Qamaruz Zaman Chaudhry said Cyclone Phet hit south of Karachi on Sunday evening. The intensity of the cyclone is category one and the costal areas of Thatta and Karachi are the center of the cyclone.
Zaman said the cyclone would cause 3 to 5-meter high waves in Thatta's coastal areas, while 2 to 4-meter high waves were expected in Karachi's coastal areas. According to Met Department, more downpours were expected during the next 36 to 48 hours.

The storm triggered torrential rains in Karachi and surrounding areas Sunday, damaging mud houses and submerging roads. Seven people were electrocuted in floodwaters, officials said.

Heavy rain fall was witnessed in different parts of Karachi, many areas including I.I. Chundrigar Road, Dr Ziauddin Ahmed Road, M.A Jinnah Road, Karachi University Road and Rashid Minhas Road were submerged.

Provincial health minister Saghir Ahmad confirmed at least four people had been killed by electrocution in the city.

150 mm of rain was recorded at the PAF Masroor base, 150 mm at Faisal base, 100 mm at Karachi airport and 20 mm in Katibandar.

Many areas were without electricity despite the KESC claims that electricity has been restored to 90 per cent of the city.

Meanwhile, President Asif Ali Zardari on Sunday telephoned Sindh Governor Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad. Ebad updated the president on the cyclone and rain situation in Sindh, the coastal areas and Karachi.

The governor also briefed the president about the protective measures taken and the situation arising from heavy rains.

Zardari has ordered lawmakers in Sindh to speed up relief work in areas expected to be battered by Phet's torrential rains, according to an official statement.

Several areas of Badin and Pasni were also flooded with water. Pakistan Army said it was ready for any emergency in Badin and Thatta.

About 5,000 people from Badin were evacuated to safe places, said the PDMA.

Cyclone Phet initially made landfall on Oman's coastline, where 15 people died, including a Bangladeshi and a Pakistani, and it could move further eastwards to India from Pakistan.

Pakistani authorities have already evacuated 60,000 people from along the 1,000-kilometre coastline, including 23,000 on outlying islands, but thousands more are refusing to abandon their homes.

“Thousands of people are still living in the city's coastal suburbs and are not ready to leave their homes,” said Roshan Shaikh, a senior official with the provincial disaster management authority.

“Initially we decided to shift them forcibly, but we could not as it might create unrest. However we are ready to save them in the minimum possible time,” said Shaikh.

The provincial head of the disaster management authority, Sualeh Farooqi, said Karachi's infrastructure was weak and that there might be many problems when the cyclone hits.

Thousands of large advertising billboards along the city streets have been taken down for fear that the winds could blow them over.

Hundreds of relief camps have been established in the affected areas but people have complained about the lack of facilities.

“My family had gone to a relief camp a couple of days ago but there were not enough food and medical facilities which forced us to come back home,” said Mohammad Hashim, a resident of Karachi's suburban Rerhi Goth.

Nadeem Ahmed, the head of the National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA), said all the agencies and armed forces had been put on alert.“We are ready with our maximum abilities and resources to tackle any emergencies,” he said.

Chief meteorologist Mohammad Riaz said the authorities had recorded 128 millimetres of rain in the first spell of a cyclone-related downpour late Saturday and that more was expected.

“Heavy rains may cause flash flooding in Karachi and other parts of Sindh and the southwestern Balochistan province,” he said.

Local administration officials said that hospitals have been put on alert. Medicines and equipment have been stockpiled while tinned food rations and clothes are also being arranged.

The government has established relief camps in school buildings and set up health units and control rooms ready to operate if necessary, an official said.

A Balochistan provincial government official, Ataullah Mengal, said cyclone-related rains had injured 18 people in the coastal areas but no deaths had been reported.—Agencies/ Dawn

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Cyclone Phet hits Karachi south, says Met

Cyclone Phet leaves Karachi with a magnificent rainbow

Phet moves past Karachi, hits Thatta

KARACHI: The Cyclone Phet has moved past Karachi without hitting the coast and now passing along the coastal line of Thatta, Meteorological Department said Sunday.

Meanwhile, DCO Thatta Manzoor Shaikh said the Cyclone has smashed into the coastal line of Thatta and Badin where gale winds and heavy rains are battering the region.

He said Ketty Bunder has been evacuated to avert any hazardous situation. All the arrangements have been put in place to deal with any eventuality, he added.

Downpour is also visiting Hyderabad, disrupting the power supply, Met Office said. More rains are also expected in Karachi, it added.

Its a good news that it skips karachi ... :cheers:

Lovely Weather here .. i think i should visit Seaview now :D :tup:

Its a good news that it skips karachi ... :cheers:

Lovely Weather here .. i think i should visit Seaview now :D :tup:

Brother while going to seaview be careful of police. Kafi chitrol kar rahai hain woh sea view janai waoloon ki.

:)

^^Do you guys normally get severe weather this time of the year?

I've never heard of cyclones etc hitting Pakistan, I always assumed Pakistan was kinda dry.

Phet diverted from Karachi. The legend of Abdullah Shah Ghazi lives on....

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rainbow was the message! Karachi is going to be safe :)

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom