What's new

CV-16 Liaoning - Type 001 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

They've pulled in to Hawaii a few times already.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually start patrolling near the U.S. similar to Russia in retaliation for all our SCS trips.

It is diesel powered ship, PLAN will need to refuel, restock and provision replenishments and will not be able to sustain its presence to anything more than a nuisance value. USN carriers are nuclear powered, has a desalination plant, huge storage capacity for diesel and aviation fuel plus lot of allies to help, rearm, rotate personnel and replenish. A USN carrier fleet can maintain presence for months at a stretch anywhere in the world.

It is diesel powered ship, PLAN will need to refuel, restock and provision replenishments and will not be able to sustain its presence to anything more than a nuisance value. USN carriers are nuclear powered, has a desalination plant, huge storage capacity for diesel and aviation fuel plus lot of allies to help, rearm, rotate personnel and replenish. A USN carrier fleet can maintain presence for months at a stretch anywhere in the world.
Hence the reason for a nuclear powered aircraft carrier for the Chinese. Ultimately, conventional just cannot compare in power projection as that of nuclear, especially for the supercarriers they are constructing. Even if the current 003 carrier remains conventionally powered (which would be quite dissapointing), the next carrier will be nuclear powered.

A lame argument.

@kungfugymnast ... you are again off topic! Why again and again this fuss?

This is the Liaoning thread and any eventual AESA fit or refit + the question on more or not more J-15s could be discussed in the J-15 thread

@kungfugymnast ... you are again off topic! Why again and again this fuss?

This is the Liaoning thread and any eventual AESA fit or refit + the question on more or not more J-15s could be discussed in the J-15 thread

Since when did I post J-15 reply here? Figaro & I were replying on J-15 thread. I can see my post over there but not here. I only know my last post here was what PLAN will do with Liaoning when EMALS carriers entered full production and service which was banned by you for saying Liaoning will serve as STOVL carriers

Since when did I post J-15 reply here? Figaro & I were replying on J-15 thread. I can see my post over there but not here. I only know my last post here was what PLAN will do with Liaoning when EMALS carriers entered full production and service which was banned by you for saying Liaoning will serve as STOVL carriers

Are you so ignorant that you don't even know what you post in any thread!? :hitwall:

1601817531232.png

1601817566674.png

1601817544813.png

These are your final three posts and now tell me - or better NOT - how they are NOT related to the J-15?

Are you so ignorant that you don't even know what you post in any thread!? :hitwall:

View attachment 676034
View attachment 676036
View attachment 676035

These are your final three posts and now tell me - or better NOT - how they are NOT related to the J-15?

Wasn't this replied on J-15 thread when Figaro & few more were debating on the radar fitted on J-15A? Figaro said it was PESA, another said not PESA and I said it was pulse doppler, then Figaro replied and asked whether it could upgrade to AESA.

Wasn't this replied on J-15 thread when Figaro & few more were debating on the radar fitted on J-15A? Figaro said it was PESA, another said not PESA and I said it was pulse doppler, then Figaro replied and asked whether it could upgrade to AESA.

No, these are exactly the last three post from you I deleted here in this thread ... so come on!

No, these are exactly the last three post from you I deleted here in this thread ... so come on!

Then you should ask him why did he reply here instead of over J-15 thread. As for the recent bird strike case that caused a pilot to eject after the aircraft engine failed to strike, where would you suggest to post since there's no information on the fighter involved? Taiwan defence article posted photo of J-20 but then said it was SU-35

Then you should ask him why did he reply here instead of over J-15 thread. As for the recent bird strike case that caused a pilot to eject after the aircraft engine failed to strike, where would you suggest to post since there's no information on the fighter involved? Taiwan defence article posted photo of J-20 but then said it was SU-35

In the regular PLAAF thread or in the dedicated thread, which I will rename soon, since it was indeed no downing.

Nuclear power is not that critical for aircraft carrier. Becos they are 5000 men onboard to feed and limited bombs and ammo which after a few dozen of high intensity mission need to restock. Even the mighty nuclear carrier need to do a replenishment after 30days. Or even 2 weeks if your warplane throw up all the bombs and missile

Nuclear power is more important for SSBN. Becos they need to remain underwater for long periods 3months and has very little crew of 100 to 200 mens. They can even stay underwater 6 months before replenish for food.

Nuclear power is not that critical for aircraft carrier. Becos they are 5000 men onboard to feed and limited bombs and ammo which after a few dozen of high intensity mission need to restock. Even the mighty nuclear carrier need to do a replenishment after 30days. Or even 2 weeks if your warplane throw up all the bombs and missile

Nuclear power is more important for SSBN. Becos they need to remain underwater for long periods 3months and has very little crew of 100 to 200 mens. They can even stay underwater 6 months before replenish for food.

..the record for the USN (2nd Fleet) USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and her compliment of frigates, destroyers and subs is 7 months at sea without a single port call.

A lame argument.

..and yet you chose to grace it with a response...must've struck a chord :lol:

Last edited:
..the record for the USN (2nd Fleet) USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and her compliment of frigates, destroyers and subs is 7 months at sea without a single port call.

..and yet you chose to grace it with a response...must've struck a chord :lol:
Sure, how many replenishment ships accompany it for such feat? A US nuclear carrier with 5000 complacent can last the most 30day ration before need to replenish.

Back
Top Bottom