What's new

Current turmoil in Pakistan should compel New Delhi to reorient policy and engage the generals direc

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
With clashes continuing between the police and protesters led by Imran Khan and Tahir-ul Qadri, the notion that Pakistani democracy has stabilised is being put to the sword. The incumbent government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif — who has been deposed by coups twice before — is the first government resulting out of a democratic transition of power in Pakistan. Yet it is being hemmed in by opposition leaders and non-state actors in a way that can only weaken democratic institutions.

Notwithstanding Khan’s and Qadri’s demand that the government resign over alleged irregularities in last year’s elections, opinion polls suggest that Sharif still remains more popular than the two opposition leaders. But the latter have used television and social media as force multipliers, projecting their strength to be far greater than it actually is. Thus, once again, the situation is tailor-made for the army to intervene.

The current circumstances are the result of a structural bipolarity in Pakistani polity whereby the government of the day is expected to cede authority to the army in matters of security and foreign policy. Given his strength in parliament Sharif was beginning to challenge this, as exemplified by his decision to travel to New Delhi for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in ceremony. However, he is going to be much chastened by recent experiences. There are credible reports of a pact between Sharif and the army, whereby Sharif will hand over control of strategic policy areas such as relations with India, Afghanistan and the US in return for being allowed to remain in the PM’s post.

While the neutering of Sharif is bad news for Pakistani democracy, it clarifies matters as far as New Delhi is concerned. India-Pakistan relations have fallen victim to the structural bipolarity of Pakistani politics. Like Sharif the previous PPP government in Islamabad too had wanted peace with India, only to be derailed by the 26/11 attacks orchestrated by Pakistan’s deep state. On the other hand, General Pervez Musharraf’s regime had largely enforced the ceasefire at the border and almost delivered a deal on Kashmir. In the face of such evidence — and since India policy appears to have been formally transferred to the army in any case — New Delhi must open direct channels of communication with the generals without whose consent a peace deal is impossible.

This piece appeared as an editorial opinion in the print edition of The Times of India.
Current turmoil in Pakistan should compel New Delhi to reorient policy and engage the generals directly | Times of India Opinion

I don't agree with many of the things but still wanted to share it
@Aeronaut @Oscar @Fulcrum15 @Slav Defence @Icarus @Xeric @nair @Areesh @levina

With clashes continuing between the police and protesters led by Imran Khan and Tahir-ul Qadri, the notion that Pakistani democracy has stabilised is being put to the sword. The incumbent government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif — who has been deposed by coups twice before — is the first government resulting out of a democratic transition of power in Pakistan. Yet it is being hemmed in by opposition leaders and non-state actors in a way that can only weaken democratic institutions.

Notwithstanding Khan’s and Qadri’s demand that the government resign over alleged irregularities in last year’s elections, opinion polls suggest that Sharif still remains more popular than the two opposition leaders. But the latter have used television and social media as force multipliers, projecting their strength to be far greater than it actually is. Thus, once again, the situation is tailor-made for the army to intervene.

The current circumstances are the result of a structural bipolarity in Pakistani polity whereby the government of the day is expected to cede authority to the army in matters of security and foreign policy. Given his strength in parliament Sharif was beginning to challenge this, as exemplified by his decision to travel to New Delhi for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s swearing-in ceremony. However, he is going to be much chastened by recent experiences. There are credible reports of a pact between Sharif and the army, whereby Sharif will hand over control of strategic policy areas such as relations with India, Afghanistan and the US in return for being allowed to remain in the PM’s post.

While the neutering of Sharif is bad news for Pakistani democracy, it clarifies matters as far as New Delhi is concerned. India-Pakistan relations have fallen victim to the structural bipolarity of Pakistani politics. Like Sharif the previous PPP government in Islamabad too had wanted peace with India, only to be derailed by the 26/11 attacks orchestrated by Pakistan’s deep state. On the other hand, General Pervez Musharraf’s regime had largely enforced the ceasefire at the border and almost delivered a deal on Kashmir. In the face of such evidence — and since India policy appears to have been formally transferred to the army in any case — New Delhi must open direct channels of communication with the generals without whose consent a peace deal is impossible.

This piece appeared as an editorial opinion in the print edition of The Times of India.
Current turmoil in Pakistan should compel New Delhi to reorient policy and engage the generals directly | Times of India Opinion

I think the best thing India can do is to wait and watch, Let the political turmoil and end and let the dust settle down..... There will be a clear winner out of this ( i dono who is it going to be) then deal with them. Author may be right while saying " Without consent of generals peace deal is impossible" but Getting that consent is the job GoP not India's

Oh well!
I really wish the Pak army takes over Pakistan to re-establish democracy.Nope i am not being sarcastic but i really mean it.
The ceasefire violations on the border is nothing but an attention diverting attempt so that the political crisis in Pak can be hushed up.
As an Indian I have given up hope that anything can be done about kashmir whether its the democratic parties which head Pak or the PA,it hardly makes any difference. Direct communication(DGMO level talks every tuesday),bus and train services etc may or may not help but improving trade relations may help.I pin my hopes on it.Establishing peace would work in the favor of both our economies.
I dont want our government to keep pumping billions and billions of dollars to buy some tanks and guns.That kinda money could be used for so many other purposes.

I think the best thing India can do is to wait and watch, Let the political turmoil and end and let the dust settle down..... There will be a clear winner out of this ( i dono who is it going to be) then deal with them. Author may be right while saying " Without consent of generals peace deal is impossible" but Getting that consent is the job GoP not India's

And the bottom line is generals of both sides are already in touch. So there is no question of consent of generals, they are already a stakeholder on both sides.
This is not Pakistan and India, everywhere in the world, the generals are part of the political game.

Oh well!
I really wish the Pak army takes over Pakistan to re-establish democracy.Nope i am not being sarcastic but i really mean it.
The ceasefire violations on the border is nothing but an attention diverting attempt so that the political crisis in Pak can be hushed up.
As an Indian I have given up hope that anything can be done about kashmir whether its the democratic parties which head Pak or the PA,it hardly makes any difference. Direct communication(DGMO level talks every tuesday),bus and train services etc may or may not help but improving trade relations may help.I pin my hopes on it.Establishing peace would work in the favor of both our economies.
I dont want our government to keep pumping billions and billions of dollars to buy some tanks and guns.That kinda money could be used for so many other purposes.
the problem is that our politicians don,t wan,t to establish any peace.

This is not Pakistan and India, everywhere in the world, the generals are part of the political game.

Well I agreed with your first part, But when it comes to Pakistan the influence of generals cannot be ignored and they are the most powerful and influential.....Just spend some time in the threads regarding recent political turmoil will give you an idea about how influential army is. But then it is internal matter of pakistan, we have nothing to do with it....

the problem is that our politicians don,t wan,t to establish any peace.
Right!!
More than half a century has passed and we havent moved an inch forward in establishing peace.There have only been forlorn attempts made so far.
And guess what??
It works in favor of countries like US and Russia to let the cold-war between India and Pakistan continue.I am not even talking about our grass variety politicians...

Oh well!

While it is certainly possible to agree with the general sentiment and trend of your statement, the reality is grounded some where else.

But it is the unfolding drama in Pakistan which is the "real reason" why the Secretary-level talks were called off.
Not the stated one. The Strategic Estt in New Delhi has "its ears very close to the ground" most notably the new NSA. And they had (correctly) predicted that the 'Dhoom-Dham in Isloo' is simply working to shift the initiative (and power) back to the GHQ in Pindi. So then; what was there to talk about and who did the interlocutors on the other side represent?
It would have been just another "chai-biskoot" meeting!!

Regardless of what the Op-Ed proposes; there is not going to be any dialog soon, and not with the Gernails in Pindi. The DGMO 'hot-line' has another purpose, not for any serious diplomatic parleys.

As for the Economics associated; it is certain that these circumstances are a drain on the respective Economies. But India decided quite a while ago to "fire-wall" the Economy to the extent possible. And create Economic Growth which will remain unconnected and thus 'discount' the adverse effects to the extent possible. Hence Modi's trips to Japan and so on to drum-up all the necessary means to make that happen. Persisting with Pakistan to generate an Economic Success-Story is meaningless, even foolish.
MMS had persisted with pushing that agenda well past its "use by date".
It is also readily apparent whose Economy is getting a "Hit" because of all this. While we can be sure that Ajit Doval is not losing too much sleep over this.........Conflict-handling encompasses many means.

As for the Nation of Pakistan: it has spent all the years of its existence thus far: riding a Roller-Coaster. The current events again show us that "The Ride" is not going to end any time soon!!!!!

@levina ji; just check out the other threads.......People asking each other to resign etc and the Radio/TV station being taken over and so on. Just substantiates what I've stated in post#9.
Life (in Pakistan) is certainly full of excitement.
And Pakistanis just seem to love "living in Exciting Times"!

@levina ji; just check out the other threads.......People asking each other to resign etc and the Radio/TV station being taken over and so on. Just substantiates what I've stated in post#9.
Life (in Pakistan) is certainly full of excitement.
And Pakistanis just seem to love "living in Exciting Times"!
I heard about it.
I also heard that PA soldiers have taken over the station now and that the situation in under control now.

I heard about it.
I also heard that PA soldiers have taken over the station now and that the situation in under control now.

I wont be surprised something like that happens when arnab goswami is on air (sorry for being off topic)

I wont be surprised something like that happens when arnab goswami is on air (sorry for being off topic)
Lol
This can be a scene in an Indian Tv station soon.
1.jpg

But seriously I was surprised to see a kid protesting.

@Leader
Whats IM upto??

Lol
This can be a scene in an Indian Tv station soon.
View attachment 46245

But seriously I was surprised to see a kid protesting.

@Leader
Whats IM upto??

Look at that kid's attitude....He has the best attitude among all the protesters in that pic...... But wonder that kid is old enough to know what is he upto...... And kids should always be kept away from such wild protests.....

Look at that kid's attitude....He has the best attitude among all the protesters in that pic...... But wonder that kid is old enough to know what is he upto...... And kids should always be kept away from such wild protests.....
One,he has not covered his face.
Two,he's holding a stick.
He definitely doesnt know what he's upto.

Back
Top Bottom