What's new

CRPF's 1st woman officer in Bastar turns role model for tribal girls

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
1.jpg

Highlights
  • Usha Kiran, an assistant commandant with CRPF’s 80 battalion now deployed in Maoist-infested Darbha valley
  • She joined 232 Mahila Battalion during her one year training course.
  • She is inspiring tribal women to get educated and join uniformed service.
RAIPUR: At a time when para-military forces are battling an image crisis in Bastar following charges of rape during anti-naxal operations, first woman officer of Central Reserve Police Force to be posted in the Maoist hotbed in Chhattisgarh is inspiring tribal women to get educated and join uniformed service.

The 27-year-old Usha Kiran feels that apart from serving the battalion, it's also her duty to inspire local tribal girls to take up education. Usha said having education and a strong mind-set would give tribal women more power than possessing an AK-47 assault rifle.

"Women here are skeptical to talk to forces, without their guardians or male family members. Even children refuse to take chocolates. They are reluctant to meet outsiders and uniformed forces," she said.

She serves the difficult terrain in the forested areas of Bastar and during off-duty hours, she spares some time to help school-going girls in their studies in her camp.

"Being newly trained, we feel we are able to serve efficiently during combat in the naxal-affected region with our high-motivation and physical strength. This is like truly living the desired life of guns and roses," she told TOI over phone.

Kiran, an assistant commandant with CRPF's 80 battalion now deployed in Maoist-infested Darbha valley , is being looked up as an icon by women. She joined 232 Mahila Battalion during her one year training course. She requested the seniors during training to allow her to serve under the male battalion in a left-wing extremism infested state, or J&K or North-East front areas. The directorate allowed her to serve in the naxal-front in Bastar.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...del-for-tribal-girls/articleshow/56612351.cms

@Levina @jbgt90 @MilSpec @nair

If Naxals can fight with women cadres then why cant we?

Hats off to the brave women.

Two years back,there was this pilot project by CRPF,under which one unit of women fighters were sent to Jagdalpur in Chhattisgarh in combat operations. It went off well.

@waz
request you to please close the thread.
Probably we aren't civil enough to discuss issues pertaining to women.
we ?

what do u mean by we, respected brother ?

i haven't seen any degraded remarks about women from u or me . . . . so let us not club together with these scums . . . and let us not put any effort to improve these low lives . . let us not be sorry for the mistakes of their parents and their upbringing !!!

like they say in UP G**d maraye janta jab apna kuchh nahi banta !!

From which part of India she belongs to? I mean Haryana, Punjab or UP etc?

Truth hurts like a B!$*#.
i still pray for Ms. Kiran's safety. its an open secret how much women safe in India. specially in organization where men cry for proper food and holidays.
Poor Kiran make sure you have your gun handy in case of any terrorist attack on you.
Post reported for justifying banned subjects, diverting the thread, flame baiting. @Zaki @waz @Manticore

This thread needs serious clean and I don't know how much more time I can bear with these kinds of comments from all.

When did I diverting the thread I was hoping that Ms. Kiran will be safe from rapers and people who don't feed their own army men.
It's Indian who are provoking me to say things which I am not .. that makes all of u mad.
Let's just condemn thos who rape in Indian Army don't feed their soilder and wish for the safety of Ms. KIRAN.

Truth is like a arrow which hit the spot. Just recently so called their peaceful city humiliate so many women on new year eve. That's their manta lit don't mind them. They will defend their mentality instead of condemn .
I would to hear from Indian to update us of Ms. Kiran 's safety. Let's just hope she be safe among their men.
@waz we are losing the precious platform day by day it is really bad not only for me personally as I come learn here, but also for other posters who come for productive discussion. Kindly check the thread as it is still not stopping.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...astar/making-headlines/slideshow/56622477.cms

I personally don't understand the apprehension rest of India has with women combatants.

When we can have Sakshi Malik, Geeta Phogat, Mary Kom etc in combat sports who can dish out a lot of pain, then why not in real combat?

On one hand many fellow Indians glorify the warrior queens of our past. On the other, they don't let women go into combat roles.

It is something very strange.

Back
Top Bottom