What's new

Crackdown on freedoms? Australian Senate passes draconian anti-terror laws

I am not justifying it. I am saying because of this polarization west may apply it. And here, Indian hindus will be punished too since you look like us.

People from all parts of life asked for more United states government involvement after the 911 attacks and rightfully so, but they didn't actually thought they will also be subjected to the laws and extra fees.

same people are now upset that they have to stand in long lines and pay extra fees.

Mostly,and i feel sorry for are the Sikhs, paying the price,for the hatred against Arabs, as most of them dress like Osama.

People from all parts of life asked for more United states government involvement after the 911 attacks and rightfully so, but they didn't actually thought they will also be subjected to the laws and extra fees.

same people are now upset that they have to stand in long lines and pay extra fees.

Mostly,and i feel sorry for are the Sikhs, paying the price,for the hatred against Arabs, as most of them dress like Osama.
Of course. that is why I said , only muslims can change these things. Otherwise there will be collective punishment.

''Let them hate us as long as they fear us''- Roman emperor Caligula.
Looks like aussies have settled on fear doctrine to deal with terror.How it will turn out only the future will tell.An intriguing development nonetheless.

Growing up here in the states the one quote that always seemed to pop up was a famous one said by Ben Franklin,
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”. I think that pretty much sums things up.

The Australian PM is universally known as an @$$hole. I think the aussies should boot him out before the moron messes up their country. ISIS my @$$- they have to wade through an entire ocean to get to the aussies (who are politically insignificant anyway). This one was by John Oliver:

Well said, I would go as far as to say that technically, Australia is a nobody, a non-existent entity unless it conducts antics such as this so as to invite unwanted attention from extremists and other a*******!

Good job, too many wannabe jihadis in Oz these days. Deport their asses back to the countries they come from, with no dole, no medicare no child support we ll see how long their jihad will go on for.

Unfortunately, for each so called wannabe jihadist, the secret police will invade privacy of millions of Australians like you, me and our families! This is just not right!

Like Pakistan where a person got shot dead for committing Blasphemy.

Yeah well, there are retards everywhere.

Well said, I would go as far as to say that technically, Australia is a nobody, a non-existent entity unless it conducts antics such as this so as to invite unwanted attention from extremists and other a*******!

Unfortunately, for each so called wannabe jihadist, the secret police will invade privacy of millions of Australians like you, me and our families! This is just not right!

Yeah well, there are retards everywhere.
There is no other way to distinguish between a normal person and radical. Since muslims themselves are reluctant to take action against the hardliners/jehadis of their own community, it is the only way.

kids or old people falling off bunk beds and hitting their head on a dresser?

No one has an issue with punishing demonstrated terror links. What I am concerned about is preemptive powers based merely on suspicion. Now there's the power to shoot to kill -- merely on suspicion.

Desperate times require desperate measures. Existence of every non-Muslim is under grave threat. Shoot to kill does work. It worked in Chechnya. To crush the terrorists and their sympathizers we need to convince them that
1. They cannot win
2. We will make their lives miserable

There is no other way to distinguish between a normal person and radical. Since muslims themselves are reluctant to take action against the hardliners/jehadis of their own community, it is the only way.

I don't have a problem with any observation, I have a problem with checks and balances and the fact that there is no description of 'suspicion' and just about anything could be considered 'suspicious' by the officer on ground which is tantamount to 'harassment' in democracies and in countries where liberty and freedom holds value. Furthermore, most of the so called radicals have been identified by intel from within the Muslim communities, and any observation otherwise is BULLSH**!

Also, how does one take action against any 'criminal' when one is not aware of the 'criminality' or 'crime'? Most importantly, how can we punish anyone who hasn't actually committed a crime????? Especially when he/she is a part of a community whose responsibility is to reform the person onto the right track!!

I have heard this argument before as well, but what I don't understand is that why exactly should a normal law abiding citizen be afraid of the ASIO or whatever. If you are doing no wrong, the intelligence and counter terrorism people won't bother you.

I have heard this argument before as well, but what I don't understand is that why exactly should a normal law abiding citizen be afraid of the ASIO or whatever. If you are doing no wrong, the intelligence and counter terrorism people won't bother you.

What part of HUNDREDS were terrorized, FIFTEEN were arrested, ONE was charged with terrorism do you have trouble understanding?

A week-long nationwide media orgy of raw hatred and vilification of an entire religion, 800 police officers, and ONE person charged (not even convicted as of yet).

W are all united against genuine terrorists, but the media frenzy was unwarranted and the authorities need to take the blame for turning this into a media circus.

I am part of an intelligence agency of Pakistan. The amount of information that we collect, although extremely important for official purposes, is scary to the point where we are more aware of the person then perhaps his/her family members! But there are certain checks and balances to ensure that we do not abuse our access to that information. And trust me, when we go after some one it is because we have solid evidence of his/her involvement in terrorism.

However, as per recent experience through the media, we are all aware of the crackdown that recently happened in Sydney by agencies. All the suspects that were picked up, as per their highest level of intelligence, proved to be innocents and were released. But what about the ordeal that those individuals and their families has to bear? Why make these stupid draconian laws that tear the fabric of society of which I was a part of about 8 years ago? Australia is 'INSIGNIFICANT' on the world map to Islamic radicals, why paint a big red bulls eye on it for no reason????

I don't have a problem with any observation, I have a problem with checks and balances and the fact that there is no description of 'suspicion' and just about anything could be considered 'suspicious' by the officer on ground which is tantamount to 'harassment' in democracies and in countries where liberty and freedom holds value. Furthermore, most of the so called radicals have been identified by intel from within the Muslim communities, and any observation otherwise is BULLSH**!

Also, how does one take action against any 'criminal' when one is not aware of the 'criminality' or 'crime'? Most importantly, how can we punish anyone who hasn't actually committed a crime????? Especially when he/she is a part of a community whose responsibility is to reform the person onto the right track!!
Problem is some where else. If a criminal thinks that he is doing the right thing. in the name of god, then you can not identify him. Unfortunately today's moderate has a potential chance of becoming a criminal, if exposed to this ideology.

I am part of an intelligence agency of Pakistan. The amount of information that we collect, although extremely important for official purposes, is scary to the point where we are more aware of the person then perhaps his/her family members! But there are certain checks and balances to ensure that we do not abuse our access to that information. And trust me, when we go after some one it is because we have solid evidence of his/her involvement in terrorism.

And what makes you think Australian agencies won't have similar "checks and balances" in place? So all this hue and cry about Australian agencies doing surveillance, when Pakistan and many other countries has been doing this all along anyways? How do you explain such double standards?

However, as per recent experience through the media, we are all aware of the crackdown that recently happened in Sydney by agencies. All the suspects that were picked up, as per their highest level of intelligence, proved to be innocents and were released. But what about the ordeal that those individuals and their families has to bear? Why make these stupid draconian laws that tear the fabric of society of which I was a part of about 8 years ago? Australia is 'INSIGNIFICANT' on the world map to Islamic radicals, why paint a big red bulls eye on it for no reason????

Australia is not an isolated country, it has to align itself with other western and NATO countries to ensure its safety, stability and future, which makes it a target for Islamist terrorists. Safety of Australians is the priority of the Australian government, if that means taking this menace of Islamic state jihadis, then so be it.

delete

kids or old people falling off bunk beds and hitting their head on a dresser?

No one has an issue with punishing demonstrated terror links. What I am concerned about is preemptive powers based merely on suspicion. Now there's the power to shoot to kill -- merely on suspicion.

There is no such law allowing police to kill people on mere suspicion. Enough of your lies!!!!

delete

There is no such law allowing police to kill people on mere suspicion. Enough of your lies!!!!

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

Under new laws, Australia’s spooks will also retain legal immunity if they kill or cause grievous bodily harm to terrorism suspects to protect the lives of bystanders or themselves.
“Let’s put this in context. This is about a life and death situation,’’ Senator Brandis said.
Existing laws contain provisions for the use of force in extreme circumstances, only permissible when the officer has reasonable grounds to conclude it “is necessary to protect life or prevent serious injuries’’.
[...]
New laws will retain those but amend the legislation to remove other provisions stating force is permitted only if there is no alternative way of taking a person into custody.

For people who can read plain English, it is there.

Previously, police could only shoot suspects as a last resort.
Now, they can shoot the suspect even if they don't resist arrest.

I expect ASIO would act professionally, but I am still concerned about the loopholes opened up.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom