What's new

CPEC Turns into a Chinese Albatross on Pakistan’s neck – Asia Sentinel

If 500.000 Chinese pour into Gwadar...this is a huge number, really. We have to take into account that some of the Chinese workers will come with family to Pakistan. The actual figure could become much higher.

Tomorrow some media will say the number could increase to be 1 million. Dubai has 20,0000 Chinese businessmen and professionals, if there're 50,0000 in Gwadar, this indicate Gwadar has a GDP size of 2.5 x Dubai if we take this as a simple calculation. Can this happen in near future?

After construction of Gwadar port, majority of Chinese professionals will return back to China and have a rest, then they will go to next project probably in e.g. Africa or Latin America, they usually are employed by state owned enterprise.

Only those running their private business in Gwadar, or assigned task to maintain the facilities will reside there in rotation mode, they in general won't bring their family together, they're not immigrants, their children will be educated in China, I can't guarantee ALL, however this is common practice especially if we take into count of the current security situation.

Chinese in Karachi have already done that. They speak our language and wear our clothes.
You will find that generally Chinese are very adaptable, as long as people are nice to them they will reciprocate and learn to love the other's culture. When it comes to making friends Chinese usually don't care what culture you are from, as long as you are a good person its enough for them.

I question the integrity of this article. Its hyperbolizing the ground situation.

500,000 Chinese to Gwadar by 2023? Am I reading this right? I suspect whether that is even feasible in 5-6 years. I think its an impossibility to the point of being comical.

They talk about the cement surplus in China like they are going to ship it all the way from Shanghai to Gwadar when Pakistan has plenty. Sub contracting will go to Pakistani firms and it already is. There are many local firms that are in charge of sub-contracting to build CPEC infrastructure. If you look at pictures and videos of CPEC construction it counters what fake news says.
http://www.cpecinfo.com/cpec-news-detail?id=MTU5OQ==

"Shiploads of Chinese", Chinese go to Pakistan in airplanes, its much faster and its not that expensive. They are obviously being racial and referencing to Chinese workers who traveled on ships to build the American & Canadian railroads during the 19th century to evoke fear and a racist reaction against Chinese.

Saying Gwadar and CPEC is going to be a failure is the same as those who said Shenzhen and China's economic reforms are going to be failures. Be prepared to hear Pakistani collapse theories for the rest of your lives now that Pakistan has decided to take a bold action, like what was said of China after economic reforms. There is an big effort to waste your time and mental effort in talking about non issues in attempt to sabotage the project, its quite obvious and unlikely to work

My view is: Focus on how you as an individual can benefit from this effort. If you can benefit from it, it means the efforts of CPEC is not wasted. If the person constantly seeks to bash and provoke without making an effort to benefit from it then there is reason to suspect the intentions and integrity of that person.

I really hope the members here on PDF can personally benefit and find business or work opportunities from the project and related activities.

Last edited:
E94naUf.png

The decisive factor in CPEC is not going to be interest rates, the industries. business practices, roads, repayments but something more in the arena of politics. Down the road I can guarantee that we will see a Chinese versus Mullah standoff. As more and more Chinese move into Pakistan CPEC will begin to take off. This will lead to more Chinese moving to Pakistan. The more Chinese will be measure of success.

However this will start a ticking bomb. At some stage, somewhere some Chinese are inadvertantly going end up falling foul of some Mullah who will then launch a demonstration like they did in Faizabad recently. This will place the Chinese against the Mullahs. The former will not give in a inch. Then the federal government will get involved because of Chinese pressure. The Chinese will expect a robust action. How this then plays out will decide the fate of CPEC. If the Chinese lose out they will gradually lose interest in long term plan and then just focus on the short term to recuperate their investment. Long Term investment will fizzle out. By way of example we may use the Lal Masjid incident of 2007 as a pointer to the future. Quote -

Students at the Red Mosque's two affiliated seminaries launched a campaign for Shari'a, occupying a nearby children's library and embarking on vigilante raids through the capital to stop what they called "un-Islamic activities," such as DVD vendors, barber shops and a Chinese-run massage parlor that they accused of being a brothel.[21]

On 27 March 2007, female students from Jamia Hafsa kidnapped three women, who they accused of running a brothel, and seized two policemen.[23] All of the women were released after supposedly confessing to running the brothel and were shown on the television wearing burqas. Also due in part to an intercession from the Chinese Ambassador, Luo Zhaohui.[24]

top02.jpg

ISLAMABAD, June 23: The government on Saturday averted a near ‘diplomatic disaster’ between Pakistan and China by securing the release of nine Chinese nationals, six of them women, who were abducted by the Lal Masjid brigade form a massage parlour.
Islamabad remained in the grip of intense diplomatic and security activity, with the Chinese envoy pleading the case of the abducted women and men with highly-embarrassed government functionaries.

https://www.dawn.com/news/253217/chinese-hostages-freed

Thus far we can have all the shenanigans within Pakistan but because Pakistan is islolated from the external world - something obvious by the limited foreign airlines operating in Pakistan despite being a country of 200 million people. However with CPEC Pakistan will open up to lots of Chinese. In this scenario it is only matter of when not if that the Chinese end up tripping on the Mullah trap. As we know it does not take much for that to happen. The Lal Masjid incident is a reminder of that.

With huge deluge of Chinese the chance of another similiar standoff taking place will be on the cards. Exactly how this then plays out will decide the fate of CPEC. Success or it will fizzle out. We will find out in time. The clock is ticking.
It is taking even one more point against CPEC away!!! Now all the workers will be from Pak!!!!!

Tomorrow some media will say the number could increase to be 1 million. Dubai has 20,0000 Chinese businessmen and professionals, if there're 50,0000 in Gwadar, this indicate Gwadar has a GDP size of 2.5 x Dubai if we take this as a simple calculation. Can this happen in near future?

After construction of Gwadar port, majority of Chinese professionals will return back to China and have a rest, then they will go to next project probably in e.g. Africa or Latin America, they usually are employed by state owned enterprise.

Only those running their private business in Gwadar, or assigned task to maintain the facilities will reside there in rotation mode, they in general won't bring their family together, they're not immigrants, their children will be educated in China, I can't guarantee ALL, however this is common practice especially if we take into count of the current security situation.

But Gwadar port is not comparable to other projects of China in foreign countries. It will be a permanent port for predominantly Chinese goods. It will be China's safety output if something happens in the South China Sea region. You are misjudging the importance of this port for China. In addition, the Chinese Communist Party has announced a development plan for Western China. This region will benefit the most from Gwardar.

By any standards, this is more than just a foreign project of China. They will stay, when they come. Believe me. The Chinese government will make them stay even if they want to leave which I doubt in the first place. They will earn a lot of money.

You're gonna see that Chinese businessmen wear local style cloth and visit Mullas with gifts, he may promise to help Mullas and his followers to dig some wells and provide them clean waters, this is a true story happened in Balochistan in the past. Chinese are good at turning a bad thing into a positive thing for both sides, in Chinese culture, danger and opportunity is two sides of the same coin.

The most funny thing you probably find is, some Chinese businessman will learn Qu'ran and talk about Islam with Mullas, and he even can convert to Islam, finally, they become ally of Mullas!

Forget to rely on Chinese to help you resolve the *Mulla Dilemma*. :D:D:D
Totally agreed. Chinese culture influenced by Confucius teachings is very different. This is an educated and peaceful way of dealing with the things while the Western-hypocrites and their westoxified toxic losers always advocate use of power and inhuman ways while preaching others about humanity.

I wish but we don't. What we have is cherrypicked areas but surrounded by vast ocean of inequity and chaos. Tunisia on the other hand is far, far, far, far more developed country than Pakistan will be for another 30 years. I know when to brag anbd I also know when to accept reality. They have a per capita over 2.5 times more than Pakistan. They spend vastly more on education, housing, hospitals than we do. And it shows. Their literacy rate is 81%.

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/tunisia/pakistan
I have been to Tunisia and stayed three months. GDP per capita is not a true indicator rather how homogeneously it is distributed throughout the society. Do you know where the Arab springs started and what was the reason? so your "far far far more developed" is far far far from the reality.

But Gwadar port is not comparable to other projects of China in foreign countries. It will be a permanent port for predominantly Chinese goods. It will be China's safety output if something happens in the South China Sea region. You are misjudging the importance of this port for China. In addition, the Chinese Communist Party has announced a development plan for Western China. This region will benefit the most from Gwardar.

By any standards, this is more than just a foreign project of China. They will stay, when they come. Believe me. The Chinese government will make them stay even if they want to leave which I doubt in the first place. They will earn a lot of money.
Exactly, they are planning a city for Chinese people with a yearly turnover in billions of dollars. It will have schools under Chinese education system with I guess elements of local culture, language and geography.

Differences are that you don't own anything inside these metros. Literally nothing. Not 1 paisa benifits chinese own. And India also exporting metros to Australia and many other things to China and rest of the world.

Dude i never thought CPEC will be disastrous. I knew its fishy in many ways. But duuuuuude u guys need some serious counciling on nationalism and mathematical calculations lessons

Hope life was so easy to all citizens living inside Pakistan. Like u nri guys

Chinese ways of living is so stupid and so silly. They think they are superior. But the fact is very people are superior race in the world. Even poor Pakistanis won't be a puppet of chinese. May be for white man. Due to our pre independent history. But lol chinese?
we all know. India is a country with a low literacy rate and low life expectancy. Need me to provide evidence?

Think about it. I was discussing a problem with a 30% illiterate country. They don't even know their own country. And then they talk about CPEC?

How rubbish is the India railway, You really don't know???

Last edited:
I'd rather have 500k or more Chinese in my country than any number of Afghans or Indians. Bonus if they'd revert to Islam but being a Muslim and a Pakistani, I would tolerate them regardless.

Hard work, honesty, being productive, helping the poor, helping the sick is my Islam. And Chinese are number one on these aspects. So yes to China no to open pooping champions.

:china:

So for you, Atheism is okay as long as you have certain qualities.

May all Hindu and Islamic fanatics start believing in this concept.

Regards and respect :enjoy:

The truth is somewhere in between but here is the ground reality after the trade starts and it's become lucrative if original agreement doesn't suit us we can renegotiate terms otherwise if we can make it unworkable for USA forces in Afghanistan it won't be that tough to make it so for Chinese businesses in our own territories and Chinese r smart enough to know that :)

Thanks fot being so candid and having a practical and tested solution for the likely future crisis :cheers:

I'd rather have 500k or more Chinese in my country than any number of Afghans or Indians. Bonus if they'd revert to Islam but being a Muslim and a Pakistani, I would tolerate them regardless.

who can revert to a religion which is the newest

The Jawan Beti here is Pakistani youth, looking for a growth, security, prosperity & happiness
The proposed groom is CPEC, who will change the life of the Jawan Beti
Amitabh is the Pakistani Leader (Politician/Military Establishment), selling the dream of CPEC
The Maasi is the people of Balochistan & GB, who is not accepting the groom for marriage

We are not indians so the above analogy cannot apply or be relevant to Pakistan. indians said EXACTLY the same with regards to Pakistan becoming a nuclear weapons state with and we all know how that one turned out :azn:

we all know. India is a country with a low literacy rate and low life expectancy. Need me to provide evidence?

Think about it. I was discussing a problem with a 30% illiterate country. They don't even know their own country. And then they talk about CPEC?

How rubbish is the India railway, You really don't know???
So is Pakistan or worse. Why not try this on them? Nearly half of em being illiterate. And that's South Asia, Sri Lanka faring better.

And Funny dp:enjoy:

I'd rather have 500k or more Chinese in my country than any number of Afghans or Indians.
We are not stupid to cross to an enemy nation for a job.

Bonus if they'd revert to Islam but being a Muslim and a Pakistani, I would tolerate them regardless.
Chinese are as un-islamic as anyone can get. They are not gonna revert to anything. Rather they will propagate their own ways (If they dare).
Chinese culture influenced by Confucius teachings is very different. This is an educated and peaceful way of dealing with the thing Western-hypocrites and their westoxified toxic losers always advocate use of power and inhuman ways while preaching others about humanity.
Take a look at China. More westoxified than Pakistan ever could be, traditional Chinese beliefs are lost with cultural revolution and maoism (or communism).
Although I agree what you said about the west.

So for you, Atheism is okay as long as you have certain qualities.
As long as a fellow human being works hard, is honest, helps the poor, helps to aleviate the sick, contributes to society, is law abiding, helps to improve society why should I have a problem. He is far better then sombody who goes around invoking name of Allah at every turn but kills, steals, rapes, etc etc.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful
  1. Say: "Oh, you who disbelieve!
  2. "I do not worship that which you worship,
  3. "Nor do you worship That Which I worship.
  4. "Nor will I worship that which you have been worshipping,
  5. "Neither will you worship That Which I worship.
  6. "To you your religion and to me mine."

1. Pakistan will get 9 percent,which is same that Singapore port authority was giving.
2. we will get a port and an infrastructure.
3. energy crisis will be solved.
4. military will get another port to avoid any naval blockade.
5. our transport industry will flourish.
6. our exports will increase.
7. millions of jobs will be created in economic zones under cpec.
8. we will get 20 percent from economic zones. Chinese will get 80.
9. optical fibre and technology parks will help our booming industries flourish even more.
10. Chinese oil imports of 600 billion mostly from middle east will help us generate billions due to transport and roads toll income.
11. China will have to help us in any war for the sake of it's own investment.
12. many countries ave already joined CPEC and many more including Iran wants to join.
13. rail service from Pakistan to china and Pakistan to Iran, turkey will be the cheapest way to reach easter Europe.
14. Chinese investment in mining industry will be the backbone of our economy in future. our mountains will make us an economic power.
15. more connectivity with central Asian countries by passing Afghanistan.
17. Pakistan won't be returning any loan as Chinese companies will return the money as they took it from different banks.
18. Tourism will increase due to increase infrastructure development and better connectivity. Chinese tourists will be coming to Pakistan in millions.
19. More Pakistanis will visit China for higher education due to more Chinese companies in Pakistan.
20. CPEC investment will reach 150 billion dollars by 2025.
21. middle eastern and Europe will use CPEC nor some Iranian port for trade with china or central Asia.

Take a look at China. More westoxified than Pakistan ever could be, traditional Chinese beliefs are lost with cultural revolution and maoism (or communism).
Although I agree what you said about the west.

I think its time for traditional belief to be lost in Pakistan as well..Hinduism replaced with Islam, millions of gods replaced with one.

I think its time for traditional belief to be lost in Pakistan as well..Hinduism replaced with Islam, millions of gods replaced with one.
Hmmm. You just had a large protest blocking capital city and major cities, over a typo error (as claimed).

Replacing it with atheism is nothing but a fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom