What's new

‘CPEC could become another East India Company’ IF interests not protected

What has faith go to do with it. Its pure business and economics. Those having heart burns are not because they love Pakistan but because with such projects even areas like Balochistan which were under developed are now getting developed at full speed and entered into the main spectrum of economic activity of Pakistan. So yeah we take the nah Sayers with a pinch of salt.
Well taking into track records of china in african continent and pakistani polititians from the past the economics that work for pakistan is very less likely good. The addition of army into the same brings more godies for them. I am not sure who is footing the bill to keep everyone happy.

FYI- pakistan has good wishes from my side for CPEC.

This thread is un-believable:
China is giving us soft loans to develop infrastructure, Motorways, roads, pipelines etc... Which China itself us..
And if only 10-15% of China's trade passes through this CPEC.. mark my words....Pakistan will be netting more than twice the repayment of loan per annum as transit fees.

Hack, even Pakistan would had netted $500-600 Million per annum in transit fees if Iran-Pakistan-India pipeline project has gone through.

CPEC will be a tremendous success, only because it makes perfect business case:

I am sure that everyone wishes the project well, except for Dubai. However, you should do your homework.
  1. Are the loans indeed soft loans?
  2. Will 10 to 15% of China's trade pass through the CPEC, especially if disturbed conditions prevail?
  3. How have other Chinese funded projects done? How has Hampanthota done?
  4. Who benefits from the project and the investment? How much does Pakistan get, specifically, how much benefit do the people of Pakistan get, as compared to the benefits for a provincial administration, and to an institution?

I am sure that everyone wishes the project well, except for Dubai. However, you should do your homework.
  1. Are the loans indeed soft loans?
  2. Will 10 to 15% of China's trade pass through the CPEC, especially if disturbed conditions prevail?
  3. How have other Chinese funded projects done? How has Hampanthota done?
  4. Who benefits from the project and the investment? How much does Pakistan get, specifically, how much benefit do the people of Pakistan get, as compared to the benefits for a provincial administration, and to an institution?
Hi Joe,
Hoping to find you in good health.

1. Loans were offered @1.6% interest per annum, Few months back Nawaz Government decided to take up this rate to bring it at par with WorldBank rate, that is, 1%, with Chinese Government. I don't know about the result of that effort.
Repayment will be affected in 30 Year time period. Yea, it is a soft loan.

2. CPEC negotiation started in the tenor of Zardari Govt. And members on this forum must has noted that Zarb-e-Azb and Karachi Operation started about at the same time when CPEC was finalized. Signal is clear from China; Get your house in order for investment.

3. CPEC is a bypass artery for China; China's 98% trade is through sea; of this 60-70% passes through South China Sea; a bit of heat in this region will strictly hamper the trade of China. CPEC is the only credible, cost efficient option.
Underdeveloped westerner region of China are supplementary beneficiary.

4. For Pakistan it is Win-Win Situation.

Last edited:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts,while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
Pakistan friends have kinds of concerns and it is very normal.Chinese infrastructure is developing fast because of action but think twice,third and hundreds of times.Some indian friends have been questioning CPEC and Chinese intention.Don't humiliate Pakistani intelligence and Don't try to sabotage this project and it is no use.If possible,take care of Indian infrastructure more,Don't talk too much and doubt too much,action speaks lounder.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts,while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
Pakistan friends have kinds of concerns and it is very normal.Chinese infrastructure is developing fast because of action but think twice,third and hundreds of times.Some indian friends have been questioning CPEC and Chinese intention.Don't humiliate Pakistani intelligence and Don't try to sabotage this project and it is no use.If possible,take care of Indian infrastructure more,Don't talk too much and doubt too much,action speaks lounder.

True intelligence need right knowledge to be in full confidence; I am sure, in Pakistan, people at right places have full confidence in CPEC to deliver its potential.

This was just discussion in senate which will have no impact on official position Indians are making a mountain out of a mole hill here

Indian and American big businesses had joined up to bring in ultra rightist (some call him Nazi) Modi although entire Indian media and civil society had dubbed him the Butcher of Muslims in Gujarat. Under Modi India has signed many known and secret deals with Uncle Sam that has conclusively made India an America's dependency. In comparison, Emperor Shah Alam's Sanad to the E I Company had milder terms. It is not Pakistan but India which is allowing the neo-EI Co to enter SA. And don't forget the China man has no history of being a colonial power; the white man does.

Coming from the so called Pakistani lawmakers who rigged their way into the offices while keeping their entire wealth abroad, their words are a joke.

I'll take such statements seriously when it comes from a true leader who has all of his stakes and wealth inside the country.
i think he was being sarcastic
i interpreted it that way

Indian and American big businesses had joined up to bring in ultra rightist (some call him Nazi) Modi although entire Indian media and civil society had dubbed him the Butcher of Muslims in Gujarat. Under Modi India has signed many known and secret deals with Uncle Sam that has conclusively made India an America's dependency. In comparison, Emperor Shah Alam's Sanad to the E I Company had milder terms. It is not Pakistan but India which is allowing the neo-EI Co to enter SA. And don't forget the China man has no history of being a colonial power; the white man does.

explain in what way is India dependent on Uncle Sam

‘CPEC could become another East India Company’
SYED IRFAN RAZA — UPDATED ABOUT 3 HOURS AGO
WHATSAPP
70 COMMENTS
PRINT
ISLAMABAD: Lawmakers from the upper house on Monday expressed the fear that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) could turn into another East India Company if the country’s interests were not actively protected.

“Another East India Company is in the offing; national interests are not being protected. We are proud of the friendship between Pakistan and China, but the interests of the state should come first,” Senator Tahir Mashhadi, chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Planning and Development, said when some committee members raised the concern that the government was not protecting the rights and interests of the people.

The East India Company was the British trading mission sent to India, which became the precursor to the British colonial presence in the subcontinent, eventually gaining power and overthrowing the Mughals who ruled India at the time.

Following a briefing by Planning Commission Secretary Yousuf Nadeem Khokhar, a number of committee members voiced their fears over what they perceived as the utilisation of local financing for CPEC projects, instead of funding from the Chinese or any other foreign investment. They also expressed concern over the fixing of power tariff for CPEC-related power projects by the Chinese.

Senators question why most corridor projects are being funded locally, not through foreign investment
Since only one of three Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) members of the committee was present at the meeting, most of this criticism went unanswered. Even Senator Saeedul Hassan Mandokhail, the lone PML-N senator in attendance, endorsed the committee chairman’s complaints.

The meeting was informed that a major portion of the CPEC depended on local finances rather than Chinese investment.

“It will be very harmful for us if we have to bear the entire burden; will this [project] be a national development or a national calamity? Whatever loans taken from China will have to be paid by the poor people of Pakistan,” Mr Mashhadi observed.

Highlighting the status of CPEC-related power projects, the Planning Commission secretary said that the Matiari-Lahore transmission line project had “not been scrapped” and was being pursued by its Chinese sponsors.

Recently, the National Energy Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) had approved tariff for the project, while the government’s Private Power Infrastructure Board had filed a review petition on the tariff in order to address the sponsors’ concerns.

At this, Senator Usman Khan Kakar pointed out that Nepra had fixed the power tariff for the project at 71 paisas/unit, while Chinese investors were demanding 95 paisas/unit.

“The government has filed an appeal before Nepra, seeking the increase despite the fact that the burden will be borne by poor consumers,” he said.

The secretary also informed the committee that the Gadani power plant complex had been shelved due to the lack of a dedicated jetty.

He also said that the 6,000MW project was not part of the CPEC.

Senator Kakar immediately reacted, saying that despite the fact that the project was not part of the CPEC, Chinese Ambassador Sun Weidong had recently claimed that the Gadani power plant had not been scrapped and was indeed a part of the corridor. “Why is this project, which does not even exist, being counted in our account?” he asked.

He said that the infrastructure being established in Gwadar would only benefit the Chinese and Punjab governments, not the local community. “The people of Balochistan will only get one benefit from this project, which is the water supply,” he said, adding that no electricity or railway projects had been planned for Balochistan under the CPEC.

Senator Mandokhail said that a sense of deprivation was being instilled in smaller provinces. “We do not want the CPEC at the cost of the federation,” he added.

Since Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal was not present in the meeting, the senator urged the secretary to advise him to ensure the integrity of the federation.

Senator Mandokhail also accused the Planning Commission of prioritising Balochistan very low on its list, given that it has not representation in the commission itself.

Jamaat-i-Islami Emir Senator Sirajul Haq said that like certain other parts of the country, Fata and AJK were also being neglected in the CPEC. “There is nothing for both areas in the CPEC,” he said and suggested that a 35km road was built to link Muzaffarabad to the CPEC so that the people of AJK could also reap its benefits.

Published in Dawn, October 18th, 2016

WHATSAPP
70 COMMENTS
PRINT

CPEC will make Pakistan into a middle income country like Turkey while these lawmakers have never ever done anything good for Pakistan and are more than happy to make a fortune through corruption. They are failures themselves and want others to fail because they envy them. Rather than barking, get up and do something good for Pakistan yourselves.

Last edited:
Man, I really enjoy reading the concerns Indians show for us and certainly their asses are on fire on this one. Threads like these and Arnab Goswami's shows related to Pakistan really make my day. I have gone further and distributed some likes to my fellows from across the border who made me roll with laughter.

OT : Pakistan should play well planned proactive policies in this region instead of sitting idle forever and waiting for the right moment. For example Pakistan's involvement in Afghan war was prime example in the past that Pakistan had it's day of glory until the brains behind the policy were crashed and everything kept falling onto us and nobody had the vision to continue to build on the previous work done. Sure there will be fallout for such plans but the bottom line is we have to take the risk and manage it well and grab all the little opportunities available at our doorsteps and make them work. It's do or die for us until we defeat our enemies around us one by one. We will surely not forget those who turned their backs on us and who lend their hand for help.

Back
Top Bottom