What's new

Could Rooivalk make a comeback

Lets do a simple calculation

1,000,000 Million soldiers (Active / Reserve) , if we had 350 choppers
  • 1 Chopper is protecting 2857 Ground soldiers a reasonable figure
*Not forgetting Choppers are also needed for air support to tanks / APC / Structures

Our current situation
1,000,000 Million soldiers (Active / Reserve) , if we had 40 choppers which we now do
  • 1 Chopper is responsible for protecting 22,000 soldiers

I think it has to be reasonable 250-350 Numbers based on our Troops and Area we need to protect
North/West/East borders etc

We need 350 Choppers with need about 100 choppers as spare in Storage

Distribution possibilities

75 KPK
75 Baluchistan
75 Sindh
75 Punjab
50 Azad Kashmir
Are you mad ...

a total of 50-60 helicopter will be enough for our needs

each attack helicopter with support cost around 40-50 Million USD .. and as of attack helicopter their utility don't cocme up with number of soldiers

*Not forgetting Choppers are also needed for air support to tanks / APC / Structures

Our current situation
1,000,000 Million soldiers (Active / Reserve) , if we had 40 choppers which we now do

I think it has to be reasonable 250-350 Numbers based on our Troops and Area we need to protect
Sir we are talking about real wars not video game called CALL OF DUTY

Nothing mad , just a reasonable need for Pakistan Military in modern warfare, where ground troops face dangers from Air, you can ride a horse or in Tank if you have a helicopter on top of you you are toast

I would be more comfortable if I was in a brigade of 2857 soldier , knowing that there is a helicopter in hanger available on call for protecting ground troops / tanks and other military near by and not parked 800 miles away in gwadar

List of countries by level of military equipment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China - 579 Choppers (Attack gunships)
Egypt - 132 (Attack gunships)
France - 293
India - 736
Italy - 211
Japan- 207
Korea- 273
Venezuela - 293
UK - 285
Russia - 677
USA - 1,830

350 is ball park figure , considering we have large number of soldiers

Pakistan : 40 Cobras mostly old , over used tired and now may be 15 super cobras

Last edited:

Our current situation

do you know how much it would cost to buy,fly, and maintain 350 Z-10 :pop:

Mi-24 Super Hind MK-V would be better than either The Rooivalk or Z-10

-It's fast
-It's got range
-It's a flying tank
-It's deadly

48 of these would be a big boost to any military.

Nothing mad , just a reasonable need for Pakistan Military ITBP odern warfare, where ground troops face dangers from Air, you can ride a horse or in Tank if you have a helicopter on top of you you are toast

I would be more comfortable if I was in a brigade of 2857 soldier , knowing that there is a helicopter in hanger available on call for protecting ground troops / tanks and other military near by and not parked 800 miles away in gwadar

List of countries by level of military equipment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China - 579 Choppers (Attack gunships)
Egypt - 132 (Attack gunships)
France - 293
India - 736
Italy - 211
Japan- 207
Korea- 273
Venezuela - 293
UK - 285
Russia - 677
USA - 1,830

350 is ball park figure , considering we have large number of soldiers

Pakistan : 40 Cobras mostly old , over used tired and now may be 15 super cobras

736 Attack helicopters ?
I think that's the total number of all types of helicopter active in IA, IN, IAF, ICG ,BSF,ITBP and CRPF.

we have around 150 Dhruv WSI on order and ~300 Desi LCH with ~22 Apaches.
All on order.

At present I don't think we have more than 40 gunships active.

I think some idiot counted our armed Mi17V5s too.

736 Attack helicopters ?
I think that's the total number of all types of helicopter active in IA, IN, IAF, ICG ,BSF,ITBP and CRPF.

we have around 150 Dhruv WSI on order and ~300 Desi LCH with ~22 Apaches.
All on order.

At present I don't think we have more than 40 gunships active.

I think some idiot counted our armed Mi17V5s too.

+1

Try to understand that T129 uses American engine, so it is highly unlikely that Pakistan will be able to acquire them.

@Quwa Rooivalk 2 looks good but I believe it is highly unlike that Pakistan will wait long for Rooivalk's come back. About WZ10, I thought Pakistan has placed an order for WZ10 with some changes.
Haris Khan on PakDef said the PAA liked the Z-10 and submitted some changes to China, the completion of which will result in orders. Folks via contacts are saying the Z-10 was rejected due to issues with its engine (which the PLA also understands). Based on all this, I'm getting the sense the Z-10 as-is wasn't accepted by PAA, and that it is basically waiting for a new variant.

In the end, a future Z-10 variant will likely form the mainstay of the attack helicopter fleet. But it is worth remembering that it is a medium-weight platform. Even the PLA is looking to develop a AH-64-level heavyweight gunship, and this might be the category of the Rooivalk 2.

The ironic thing is that the T-129 was blocked by US not for political reason per se, but economic ones. We wanted PA to buy only our stuff (yes it is political but not for the reasons normally given).

That being said, any rooivalk deal needs to be examined in a wider context of creating in roads with SA and the potential of a Pakistani /SA defense partnership has. With the potential for Denel to be a leading provider of weaponry for JF-17 (via a darter and marlin, as well as any a2g weaponry), PAF will already be a potential partner for SA. If PN can utilize umkhonto versions for any future frigate and the PA goes rooivalk, we could see a very well intrenched integration of the defense industries of both nations leading to potentially massive oppurtunities for ToT and local manufacturing in Pakistan. One could potentially see a sort of affiliation on future projects between PAC, Denel and AWC.

Physically, it is nearly a match for apache (though electronically im not so sure)
Well said. The Rooivalk 2 aims to infuse the platform with modern electronics, a customer could theoretically ask their specific units be configured up to par with AH-64D.

Rooivalk is one of most heavily equipped helicopter .. 30 mm with six hard points gives it a good punch .. however it only lacks in good electronics, and counter measure ..
That'll be rectified with the Rooivalk 2.

The basic question we should first ask to ourselves that what is the maximum numbers of Gunship helicopter Pakistan requir .... ??

Currently we have ~ 40 (possibly less than 40) Cobra Helicopter,

For future needs even if we keep dedicated resource for counterinsurgency ops requirement in FATA on permanent basis add another 10-15 gunships for Balochistan, plus Marine Force 'may' require dedicated gunship for their operations in Southern Sindh & Rann of Kutch area at some point in time with their evolving role; now further add some numbers assuming that army will not only replace all of the aging Cobras one on one basis but will add more numbers to counter eastern threat let say 60, this mean our maximum requirement by any far stretch calculation is around 100-110 gunships helicopters

Now the second question: Can we fulfill all this required numbers with a single platform or with multiple platform ... ??

We are bound to have multiple platforms for obvious reasons specially when we are already acquiring 15 AH-1Z & I have a feeling that we may like to have 10-15 additional Vipers increasing their number up to 25-30 so this leave us the room for 70 to 80 other gunships at max, now out of these 70-80 how many of the gunships helicopters we want (more importantly 'afford') to be in the AH-64D class helicopter ... even if we split the numbers in half 35 to 40 is the maximum numbers.

Here at this stage we need to understand the international sales prospect including Partner Nation commitments which in my opinion might not be strong in numbers, from our perspective for having a successful program S. Africa & any other partner Nation (i don't see Nigeria as a prospective partner in this projects as their number of requirements could be less than 50 units) should commit at least 50 each with at least 150 International sales so that unit cost could be capped at $ 30 to 35 million; anything above this price range would be difficult for us to afford.
I agree. Moreover, Pakistan may not need many AH-64 class helicopters, the bulk of the force could very well be just medium-weight (Z-10). That said, of all available options, the Rooivalk 2 may be the only accessible one (until the Chinese platform comes to fruition). Also, our infancy in helicopter production may simply cap our annual rollout rate to a handful, the key for us would be ensuring we have MRO as well as local parts manufacturing (for spare parts).

Numerically the Army would need around 100-120 dedicated attack helicopters. I expect a total of 20-30 AH-1Z anyways, but these will be on station to keep FATA in check. Of the remaining, especially for the eastern front, having an all Rooivalk 2 force might be cost-prohibitive from an acquisition as well as maintenance standpoint. The Army probably wouldn't buy more than 30-40 of these helicopters, the likely aim would be to operate them in high-threat scenarios. The bulk of the fleet will in the end probably be Z-10s. I also think a separate aviation arm ought to be raised to support all paramilitary groups, but they wouldn't need Rooivalk II or even Z-10, the Z-19 would probably be enough.

Now if we factor in the Air Force and one day the Navy, things get interesting. The PAF might be inclined to use the Rooivalk 2 as the basis for its own AH-64E equivalent. From an operational standpoint, the Rooivalk 2 could serve as a dedicated CAS platform in a wide range of scenarios, be it COIN or anti-armour. The Navy could use it to support its Marines. The PAF and PN could add up to 30 units, collectively.

Haris Khan on PakDef said the PAA liked the Z-10 and submitted some changes to China, the completion of which will result in orders. Folks via contacts are saying the Z-10 was rejected due to issues with its engine (which the PLA also understands). Based on all this, I'm getting the sense the Z-10 as-is wasn't accepted by PAA, and that it is basically waiting for a new variant.

In the end, a future Z-10 variant will likely form the mainstay of the attack helicopter fleet. But it is worth remembering that it is a medium-weight platform. Even the PLA is looking to develop a AH-64-level heavyweight gunship, and this might be the category of the Rooivalk 2.

Well said. The Rooivalk 2 aims to infuse the platform with modern electronics, a customer could theoretically ask their specific units be configured up to par with AH-64D.

That'll be rectified with the Rooivalk 2.

I agree. Moreover, Pakistan may not need many AH-64 class helicopters, the bulk of the force could very well be just medium-weight (Z-10). That said, of all available options, the Rooivalk 2 may be the only accessible one (until the Chinese platform comes to fruition). Also, our infancy in helicopter production may simply cap our annual rollout rate to a handful, the key for us would be ensuring we have MRO as well as local parts manufacturing (for spare parts).

Numerically the Army would need around 100-120 dedicated attack helicopters. I expect a total of 20-30 AH-1Z anyways, but these will be on station to keep FATA in check. Of the remaining, especially for the eastern front, having an all Rooivalk 2 force might be cost-prohibitive from an acquisition as well as maintenance standpoint. The Army probably wouldn't buy more than 30-40 of these helicopters, the likely aim would be to operate them in high-threat scenarios. The bulk of the fleet will in the end probably be Z-10s. I also think a separate aviation arm ought to be raised to support all paramilitary groups, but they wouldn't need Rooivalk II or even Z-10, the Z-19 would probably be enough.

Now if we factor in the Air Force and one day the Navy, things get interesting. The PAF might be inclined to use the Rooivalk 2 as the basis for its own AH-64E equivalent. From an operational standpoint, the Rooivalk 2 could serve as a dedicated CAS platform in a wide range of scenarios, be it COIN or anti-armour. The Navy could use it to support its Marines. The PAF and PN could add up to 30 units, collectively.
Well ask friends why Army didn't tested Z-10 with new WZ-16 engine. We should have tested Z-10 with new Engines. As for Rooivalk II it can be an option but we have to wait and see what Army has in mind. I am still not willing to rule out T-129 also I still believe MI-28 would be tested.

Well ask friends why Army didn't tested Z-10 with new WZ-16 engine. We should have tested Z-10 with new Engines. As for Rooivalk II it can be an option but we have to wait and see what Army has in mind. I am still not willing to rule out T-129 also I still believe MI-28 would be tested.
The new engine for Z-10 hasn't materialized yet.

The PAF might be inclined to use the Rooivalk 2 as the basis for its own AH-64E equivalent..

Just a comment. Aren't we following the service separation for rotary and fixed wing attack platforms. I mean its unlike the two IAFs (Israeli and Indian) where they have dedicated attack chopper sqns. Army in our case operates those. Perhaps in an arrangement similar to the one struck between the USAAF and US Army post WW2.

If so then PAF wont be operating attack helos.

Last edited:
Just a comment. Aren't we following the service separation for rotary and fixed wing attack platforms. I mean its unlike the two IAFs (Israel and Indian) where they have dedicated attack chopper sqns. Army in our case operates those. Perhaps in a arrangement similar to the one struck between the USAAF and US Army post WW2.

If so then PAF wont be operating attack helos.
That's true.

Well the major hurdle to rooivalk is cost on a few fronts. With most of the development done in the original chopper and the new cost being electronics the development cost is low, but the unit cost is likely in the $30-35M range. With PA operating AH-1Z and going for Mi-35 Hind (unless the numbers stay low and specialized) the race between z-10 (updated) and rooivalk could be close. The Z-10 wouls likely be much cheaper, but many of the costs of rooivalk could be offset by local manufacturing (it would drop unit price and would inject money into local markets through jobs) so while the cost may come down by$3-5M per unit, the total loss would slightly offset by new local money.

I suspect you will only see one other type of chopper in PA (AH-1Z and Hind will be used in special roles like COIN and Assault) but gunship duties will be Z-10 or rooivalk with an outsode chance for Mi-28. T-129 will not be available unless Turkey wources non US parts... Why would US allow our parts on ATAK whem u could spend that $$ on more cobras

Well Beggars can't be choosers, for Pakistan who clearly are way way way behind on Helicopters support for ground troops , the Z-10 is ideal platform

Someone cancelled the J10B deal , otherwise we would have been honored to have the Chinese J10B in our air force

Hopefully it is not the case with Z-10 as it is exactly what we need NUMBERS / QUANTITY/ SPARE PARTS/ AMMUNITION

A) Ramp up numbers in quick fashion fills the need for the Military
b) Minor Engine issue , that is why you hire engineers to keep the machine running

Bottom line is when the next war breaks out , Troops would not have air support from Helicopter and it falls on head of the guy who claims the Z-10 has isssue.

In 80's the same folks used to make claims "Pakistan does not need to have helicopter program" because we have F16 and we will keep getting them in numbers , and yes 90's we had problems

Since 80's I read in newspapers , military representatives do not want to prioritize helicopter purchase

Also it is not fair to soldiers , on ground , that they do not have cover from above . troops moving with air support from choppers move at faster rate on ground and at same time they have bird eye's view of battle field

Z-10 has better avionics and likely will have better upgrade in future as technology matures , further , its a colossal waste of money to try to upgrade a old helicopter and wait 10 years for return on investment

Standard Cobras which we have are more less Rickshaws of modern Aviation , from 60's and 70's

I just don't feel that a Fighter jet can give you that extra level of air support that one gets with a helicopter hovering over a group of soldiers not to mention it runs out of fuel sooner

Last edited:
wasn't that turkish indigenous chopper essentially a rooivalk design ?

here in this pic you can see how much they borrowed from mi-24 hind

Denel_Rooivalk_Mk1_%E2%80%98680%E2%80%99_(16875887775).jpg

Back
Top Bottom