What's new

CoronaVirus in Bangladesh - Updates & Discussion

https://www.newagebd.net/article/104086/bangladesh-seeks-chinese-medical-experts

Bangladesh seeks Chinese medical experts
Chinese FM assures of support in Rohingya repatriation

Diplomatic Correspondent | Published: 01:01, Apr 09,2020

Bangladesh requested China to send an expert medical team comprising doctors, nurses and technicians for treating COVID-19 and providing training to Bangladeshi medical professionals.

Foreign minister AK Abdul Momen made the request during a telephone conversation with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on Tuesday, according to a foreign ministry release.

Wang Yi made the call and the two ministers spoke for about 45 minutes.

Momen, during the conversations, sought the medical support initially for Sheikh Russel Gastro-liver Institute and Hospital which was declared a dedicated facility in Dhaka for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.

He also discussed the possibility of a Chinese expert medical team comprising doctors, nurses and technicians, coming to Bangladesh to treat coronavirus-infected patients and provide training to Bangladeshi medical professionals.

He also discussed the possibility of importing ventilation machines from China during this critical moment of coronavirus spread in Bangladesh.

Momen also requested the Chinese minister to consider deferral of payments against all back-to-back letter of credit or LC opened in favour of Chinese suppliers for one year.

The Chinese foreign minister responded positively to the Bangladesh minister’s requests and assured him of their full support to Bangladesh, the foreign ministry claimed.

Wang Yi expressed gratitude to the Bangladesh government for its contribution of masks, hand sanitisers and hand gloves etc. during the critical moments of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan city and other parts of China.

Momen too expressed gratitude to China for their contribution of coronavirus test kits, personal protection equipment and infrared thermometer.

He extended appreciation to the Chinese government for taking care of Bangladeshi students in Wuhan and other parts of China since the first day of the coronavirus outbreak.

During the conversation, the Bangladesh government requested China once again to help in early repatriation of Rohingya people to Myanmar as promised by the South East Asian country.

Wang Yi assured to extend Chinese support to that end, the foreign ministry said.

The two foreign ministers also reiterated their support for each other in the international arena.

Bangladesh, China and Myanmar established a two-layer tripartite mechanism with foreign ministers of the three countries on the top more than one a half years ago for facilitating repatriation of the forcibly displaced Rohingya people of Myanmar from Bangladesh.

The three ministers also established the second layer of the mechanism at the level of senior officials with ambassadors of China and Myanmar to Dhaka and director general of Myanmar wing of the Bangladesh foreign ministry as members.

The Myanmar government was pledged-bound through instruments signed with the Bangladesh government and subsequent commitments made at international platforms to take back Rohingya people by creating atmosphere conducive for their repatriation on the ground, diplomats said, adding that there was no substantive progress on the ground for starting the much sought after repatriation.

The latest Rohingya influx took the number of undocumented Myanmar nationals and registered refugees in Bangladesh to about 11,16,000, according to estimates by UN agencies and Bangladesh foreign ministry.

02:04 PM, April 09, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:42 PM, April 09, 2020
Bangladesh reports one more coronavirus death, 112 test positive in 24hrs: health minister

Shares
coronavirus-covid19_3.jpg

Star Online Report

One more died of coronavirus infection in the last 24 hours, Health Minister Zahid Maleque said today.

The death toll now stands at 21, the health minister said during a briefing this afternoon.

One hundred and twelve people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 24 hours. With this, the total number of infected has reached 330.

Source: https://www.thedailystar.net/corona...2-test-positive-24hrs-health-minister-1891318

@UKBengali, although infected increased but death rate reduced, as one new death. I hope all infected people will be cured soon inshallah.

02:04 PM, April 09, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:42 PM, April 09, 2020
Bangladesh reports one more coronavirus death, 112 test positive in 24hrs: health minister

Shares
coronavirus-covid19_3.jpg

Star Online Report

One more died of coronavirus infection in the last 24 hours, Health Minister Zahid Maleque said today.

The death toll now stands at 21, the health minister said during a briefing this afternoon.

One hundred and twelve people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 24 hours. With this, the total number of infected has reached 330.

Source: https://www.thedailystar.net/corona...2-test-positive-24hrs-health-minister-1891318

@UKBengali, although infected increased but death rate reduced, as one new death. I hope all infected people will be cured soon inshallah.

Actually excellent news in many ways!

1. High number of new infections is more to do with the 10x ramp up in testing capacity since this time last week than a massive acceleration in the rate of spread of the virus.
This new data will help BD better work out the rate of infection and also how it is moving through the population.

2. Measured deaths are not increasing seems to to indicate that the population is more resilient to this virus than seen in USA and Europe - due to the younger age of the population, stronger immune systems due to less hygienic environment and also the hot and sunny weather, which means that infected people are getting less of the virus due to rapid degradation of coronavirus in BD current weather conditions.

https://www.thedailystar.net/coronavirus-deadly-new-threat/news/bangladesh-
reports-one-more-coronavirus-death-112-test-positive-24hrs-health-minister-1891318

The total number of samples tested in the last 24 hours is 1,097, said Dr Sania Tahmina, additional director general (planning and development) of Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), during the briefing.

Among the samples, 618 were tested at the PCR labs in Dhaka while 479 were tested at those outside the capital, she added.

Among the newly infected patients, 70 are male and 42 are female, said Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora, director, Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR).

Of the 112, 62 are from Dhaka city while 13 are from Narayanganj. Others are from different districts, she added.

The deceased -- from Dhaka -- was male and aged over 60, Dr Meerjady also said.

Last edited:
@UKBengali @Atlas, let not get ahead of ourselves, we should wait a couple of weeks before coming to conclusions. The number of death *might* start to increase in a week or two now that the infection is spreading rapidly.

Last edited:
@UKBengali @Atlas, let not get ahead of ourselves, we should wait a couple of weeks before coming to conclusions. The number of death will start to increase in a week or two now that the infection is spreading rapidly.

Did you even bother reading my reply?

1000 tests are being done a day now compared to 100 a week ago.

"Increased" infections is more a case of 10 fold increase in testing rather than any massive increase in the number of infections.

The number of death will start to increase in a week or two now that the infection is spreading rapidly.
How do you know that in a week or two the numbers of death will start to increase? We are just wishing good for our people and you have come to tell a prophecy. There is no written law that death toll must be increased. Let's hope for the best for our people and prepare for the worst.

Last edited:
@WebMaster @Dubious @Slav Defence @waz @AgNoStiC MuSliM @WAJsal @jaibi

Can you please redirect the thread to Bangladesh subsection and make it sticky? This will help us to post the latest news and other readers can access to this thread more easily and can get the latest updates.
We are trying to ensure that all COVID-19 related threads get moved to and posted in the new COVID-19 section.

There was a suggestion of making a sticky 'announcement' thread in each country section that redirects to the respective country threads in the COVID-19 section - no decision on that yet.

How do you know that in a week or two the numbers of death will start to increase?
That was the case in America, I recall Dr. Fauci saying something along the lines of when the number of infections increase, it is followed by an increase in the number of death, (usually after a couple of week)

We are just wishing good for our people and you have come to tell a prophecy.
I meant to say *might* increase. My dad is almost 68 years old; trust me when I say this, if I could wish this pandemic away, i would.

"Increased" infections is more a case of 10 fold increase in testing rather than any massive increase in the number of infections.
umm yes? no one is arguing about that point.
but my concerns are, now that the number of people infected have increased (and it is reasonable to assume that it will continue to increase for the time being, if we can keep testing at the same rate), there is a good *possibility* that we *might* see an increase in death. I think my concerns are reasonable.

umm yes? no one is arguing about that point.
but my concerns are, now that the number of people infected have increased (and it is reasonable to assume that it will continue to increase for the time being, if we can keep testing at the same rate), there is a good *possibility* that we *might* see an increase in death. I think my concerns are reasonable.

Increase in death does not necessarily mean that BD will reach the levels of the worst affected countries.

But these are the advantages that BD has over Europe and USA:

1. Younger population - death rate rises massively to 10% and higher for those above 70.

2. BD population has a higher probability of better immunity to this virus as it is a less hygienic society than Europe and USA

3. The hot and sunny weather will degrade the virus quicker than in the cooler climates where it has really taken hold. More degradation of virus means less people infected and the less dosage an infected person gets and hence less deaths.
Look at 25 million Australia with 50 deaths compared to 17 million Netherlands with more than 2000 deaths. They are both highly developed countries with massive concentrations of people in their cities and warm Australia has had a fraction of the infections and deaths as cooler Netherlands. Same for warmer Los Angeles compared to cooler New York in USA.
Warm weather does not make coronavirus go away but it inhibits it no doubt.

BD is doing what it can within it's means and we should stay optimistic rather than being doom and gloom merchants like some BD posters, supported by anti-BD trolls.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2020/04/10/coronavirus-6-more-die-94-more-tested-positive

"IEDCR Director Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora made the announcement on Friday afternoon

The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) has confirmed that six more people have died of Covid-19 in Bangladesh in the last 24 hours, taking the number of deaths from the disease in the country to 27.

The institute also reported 94 new cases over the same period until 8am Friday, taking the total number of cases to 424.

IEDCR Director Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora made the announcement while addressing an online press briefing on Friday afternoon."

@Atlas

Very sad that 6 more people died yesterday.

What is good is that there is still no large increase in either deaths or cases and the death rate has gone down to 6% from 10% a week ago. This is all to do with the increased testing from this time last week.
I expect the death rate to progressively go down as testing ramps up over time.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2020/04/10/coronavirus-6-more-die-94-more-tested-positive

"IEDCR Director Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora made the announcement on Friday afternoon

The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) has confirmed that six more people have died of Covid-19 in Bangladesh in the last 24 hours, taking the number of deaths from the disease in the country to 27.

The institute also reported 94 new cases over the same period until 8am Friday, taking the total number of cases to 424.

IEDCR Director Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora made the announcement while addressing an online press briefing on Friday afternoon."

@Atlas

Very sad that 6 more people died yesterday.

What is good is that there is still no large increase in either deaths or cases and the death rate has gone down to 6% from 10% a week ago. This is all to do with the increased testing from this time last week.
Yes brother it's truly bad news. And also I read that youths are in danger in Bangladesh.
Yes same here. And also there is a problem. In some village areas people are roaming free specially in village areas. Govt should order spy networks to be over active to arrest them. Even I heard from someone that a local mosque in there village area announced that only bad people will be infected by coronavirus.

I asked him to call police, but he said that then it will be hard for them to live in the area. The case happened in a village in sherpur upazila of Bogra district.

So I believe govt will keep eye on village mosques that are full of illiterate people.

@UKBengali

https://www.banglainsider.com/bangladesh/54079/সাবধান-তরুণদের-ওপরই-প্রকট-হচ্ছে-করোনা

How would people know who called the police?
I have no idea. He was afraid. It happened yesterday. He said that police will come and will ask for evidence and then how he can provide? He didn't record the Mike announce!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom