What's new

Convener MQM Dr Imran Farooq killed

Imran Farooq colleagues fear murder was political

Detectives and colleagues of a senior Pakistani opposition politician stabbed and beaten to death in a residential street in north London said tonight they were working on the assumption it was a political assassination.

Imran Farooq, one of the co-founders of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), a powerful, Karachi-based party run for almost two decades by a leadership exiled to the London suburb of Edgware, was found near his home after neighbours witnessed what they initially believed was a fight. Paramedics were called but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 50-year-old, who was married with two young sons, claimed UK asylum in 1999 alongside Altaf Hussain, who remains the MQM's leader and has been outspoken in condemning Islamist militancy in Pakistan and the Islamabad government's response to devastating floods.

News of the killing sent Karachi into mourning, with streets deserted, schools and businesses shuttered and buses taken off the roads. Several vehicles were set alight and the city, Pakistan's biggest, remained tense.

Scotland Yard refused to comment on a possible motive, but a source said homicide detectives had passed the investigation to the force's counter-terrorism command, indicating a suspected political motive. The source added: "The counter-terrorism command have much better knowledge about the factional fighting in Pakistan and the politics there."

Before entering the UK Farooq spent seven years on the run in Pakistan from criminal charges while the MQM was engaged in a violent battle for control of Karachi. Despite his long exile hHe remained a key party figure and was close to Hussain.

While the MQM leader is protected by private guards and rarely appears in public following death threats, colleagues said Farooq never believed he was at risk and had played a smaller role in the party since the birth of his sons, now five and three.

Farooq was attacked as he made his way home from his job at a local pharmacy, said Mohammad Anwar, a friend of 25 years who worked with Farooq on the MQM's central co-ordinating committee.

"If someone took the time to watch him they would know what time he came home every night. It would be very straightforward. He didn't take any precautions because he didn't believe he was in danger," Anwar said. "We all thought that we wouldn't be under threat here."

"There is no reason to indicate that this was a robbery or mugging," he told the Guardian at the MQM's headquarters in an office block close to Farooq's home.

"It could be a signal to Mr Hussain, to weaken resistance. Whoever did it could be telling him – and all of us – 'If we can reach him we can reach you.'" Other party members were reviewing their security, he added. The party had previously told police and the Foreign Office of threats to Hussain's life, but these did not appear to be taken seriously, Anwar said.

Neighbours in Farooq's street said the alarm was raised around 5.30pm yesterday when a woman saw what she believed was a fight between two Asian men on communal ground below her flat.

"She saw him being knocked on the head a couple of times. She heard screams and she saw someone beating him," said Sam Igbi, who lives nearby. "She said he struggled and then the guy stabbed him."

Party officials in Karachi declared a 10-day period of mourning. Previous political killings have inspired riots and shootings between rival factions, many of whom are heavily armed.

Analysts said they were keeping an open mind as to the identity of Farooq's killer. The MQM has long-standing rivalries with ethnic Pashtun and Sindhi parties in Karachi. The MQM has also been rocked by occasional internecine violence.

A diplomatic source said the killing appeared particularly unusual because of Farooq lack of recent political activity: "He was lying low in the past two years. He had expressed no concern for his own safety."

@SOMEBOZO
And now the riots start..we shouldnt have let these people cross the border in 1947 execpt for those who were educated enough to contribute intellactualy. Many of these migrants who would later form MQM were illetreate thugs.

I have serious disagreement with your statement. I have no sympathy MQM rather I consider them a bunch of ********* but please don't disgrace the sacrifices of those who participated in Pakistan Movement knowing fully well that their ancestral areas will not form part of Pakistan. For God sake hold your emotions and think positive.

News On GEO rite now !!

Altaf hussain salgira par qoum ko paigham dena chahte the !!

So understand what i mean ? hope so :azn:

We all and specially Karachi people have got message.

MQM at best represents a group of economic oppurtunists which came to theive on economic capital of Pakistan. Its foundations as a criminal gang were laid along with parition of Pakistan but a formal power as political party only emerged after gaining formidable headcount thanks to a generation of birth rate and releative actions by government when they realised one group of people are roaching over the industrial heart of country while locals are deprived of their rightful employment.
Now first it was loyalty to India, the argument falls flat when you realize that as Pakistanis they have given demonstrable proof of rejecting India in no uncertain terms. Now you've come to the meat of the annoyance people have with the 'muhajirs' - that is their achievements and accomplishments in Pakistan. This would be more honest.

There is no denying that the group you're referring to is, basically the migrants from India - the word 'Muhajir' does not apply to them any more - the constitution of Pakistan recognizes them as locals of the nation, they are locals to every inch of Pakistan.

You have to be really blind to facts to think that their accomplishments have nothing to do with the fact that they were/are an educated massive body in Pakistan. Granted following Altaf Hussain is a stupid thing to do and in some cases of Karachi's slums they don't really have a choice where Ghunda-ocracy rules and defying Altaf is a death sentence. But then so is bending over to your feudal lord. So their stupidity is a bonding common denominator they share with you.

Pakistan is not just a piece of land, but an idea. An idea to fight the Indians to build a separate homeland away from the tyranny of minorities. Now its up to you to decide whether this would be a good or bad idea.

I am ashamed to say that I too once supported MQM! But it did not take me very long to realize that we Urdu speakers were the most blessed part of Pakistani society: The most urbane, the most educated, the best organized.... All those because of Pakistan. To this day my extended split community in India and Pakistan would acknowledge that those who migrated to Pakistan--like my parents--excelled ahead of the ones who chose to live behind in India.

I saw that the only thing remotely unfair to we Urdu speakers was the 'quota system' and I too have been a victim of the quota system. But then, in comparison, we Urdu speakers (I prefer, 'New Sindhis') are still better off.

But MQM exploited our sentiments. We were misled. It did not help that Zia rule suited him to divide different parts/ethnicities of Pakistan. So MQM grew stronger and stronger--and more and more violent.

Coming back to the topic: It is entirely possible that some one killed Dr. Imran Farooq for money. These MQM 'leaders' living in London are not exactly poor. But I also think that, given the number of people killed by MQM or number of MQM people killed by others makes all top MQM leaders living on borrowed time. And that includes the topmost, most cruel, thug like Altaf Hussein. Look at the way he cries like a little girl in front of the world?! Is that a 'leader' who wants to bring 'revolution' to Pakistan.

I may once again support MQM. But not until this thug Altaf Hussein is removed. I don't wish death upon him. I never do upon any human being. Not even on Bin Laden. But I so much wish such characters somehow 'fade away' to the garbage dump of history!

would it had been ok to do riots if he were killed in karachi????

NO. But in that case the rioters atleast have some face palm. in case of a killing in UK of their party man its uncalled for.

I am ashamed to say that I too once supported MQM! But it did not take me very long to realize that we Urdu speakers were the most blessed part of Pakistani society: The most urbane, the most educated, the best organized.... All those because of Pakistan. To this day my extended split community in India and Pakistan would acknowledge that those who migrated to Pakistan--like my parents--excelled ahead of the ones who chose to live behind in India.

I saw that the only thing remotely unfair to we Urdu speakers was the 'quota system' and I too have been a victim of the quota system. But then, in comparison, we Urdu speakers (I prefer, 'New Sindhis') are still better off.

But MQM exploited our sentiments. We were misled. It did not help that Zia rule suited him to divide different parts/ethnicities of Pakistan. So MQM grew stronger and stronger--and more and more violent.

Coming back to the topic: It is entirely possible that some one killed Dr. Imran Farooq for money. These MQM 'leaders' living in London are not exactly poor. But I also think that, given the number of people killed by MQM or number of MQM people killed by others makes all top MQM leaders living on borrowed time. And that includes the topmost, most cruel, thug like Altaf Hussein. Look at the way he cries like a little girl in front of the world?! Is that a 'leader' who wants to bring 'revolution' to Pakistan.

I may once again support MQM. But not until this thug Altaf Hussein is removed. I don't wish death upon him. I never do upon any human being. Not even on Bin Laden. But I so much wish such characters somehow 'fade away' to the garbage dump of history!
Without a doubt, MQM without Altaf would be half decent.

Most of them are common(ish) people and would probably depend on public's vote to win. However the ghunda culture is deep rooted into the MQM philiosophy now and I'm unsure if any of their leader would truly win in a free and fair election.

They are the only party in Pakistan who don't deny their hand in rigging the elections. Their argument is that everyone does it, so why not them?

So counting contines:
1- Engineered floods
2- Increased attacks by TTP
3- Increased drone attacks
4- Plan to kill CJ of Lahore high court
5- Murder of politician of Karachi

wait for tomorrow's discovery

AT SOMEBOZO.
Man thats very wrong and myopic of u to say such a thing about the migratees of India! its senceless and insensitive and stereotyping! get a better understanding of history and facts!!

what kind of rational is that... take the educated ones and dump the illiterate ones??? so u mean to say it would be ok to kick out the illerate Pakistanis from Punjab or any other province???!!!

2,000,000 Indian muslims sacrificed thier lives for Pakistan! and i bet u MOST OF THEM WERE ILLITERATE!! Including my grandfather!

do u realize that M M Alam was 11 years old when he migrated to Pakistan??? My Taya was 14! and uneducated! yet he took part as a volunteer in the Kashmir 1948 conflict!

Watch ur mouth, its statements like these that breed contention and hatred! U cant weigh love for country over being educated!

:pakistan:

Its people like this member who help flourish Altaf its one more reason for Altaf type to flourish .

@ Pak Marine

Do u mean me?? and if u do, please elaborate how u fathomed that i support Altaf and/or my post reflects some admiration for MQM or Altaf.

:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom