What's new

Comedian under fire for Burka Woman version of Pretty Woman

This really went off track. Was the comedian even forcing his beliefs through that video ? Simply put if you can't handle some types of comedy avoid it. This is the same thing as with the draw mohammad day on facebook. Why should it matter to anyone if people want to draw him. Avoid it and you would be fine but once you start putting out fatwas and death threats because someone is doing something your against, that is when a problem occurs.

For me every woman who wears skin tight clothing on the streets, weather muslim or non-muslim is no better than a Prostitue, coz she is inviting gaze from every direction and for muslims in particular Zina through eyes. A walking Fitna.

Atleast those prostitutes who wear burka r not doing that.

It is a personal choice and it is not the woman's fault that perverts are looking at her.

You have a bias for non burka women and you even justify burka prostitution but again it's not surprising to hear that from you since you are an avid fan of Taliban and if I'm correct you also said that you would kill your child if she married a non muslim.

Yet you still live in Dubai, a place with nightclubs, alcohol, girls in bikinis etc. Since you're such a burka fan and "pakka musalman" why don't you move to Afghanistan?

I really like the part where he says.. "modesty rowrrrrrrrr..""' :lol::lol:

Geez, some guy put up a youtube and some internet nobodies scribbled something in the comments section (mind you anyone could've done that) and this qualifies as news?

As long as the state hasn't done anything stupid like block youtube again, it should all be fine.

Develepero:

I'm really not sure where your argument is going - it seems to me that you are denying that the Burka goes with a set of attitudes and beliefs -- these attitudes and beliefs makes the Burka crowd something that is always going to seen as less than reasonable -- look at the example of these attitudes and beliefs below:

I agree that the choice of a dress style -- the burqa is just one example -- conveys a message about the wearer's beliefs in certain matters. In this case, modesty. But the attitudes you quoted are not limited to the burqa crowd: these are the attitudes of social conservatives around the world, regardless of religion.

The problem happens when the Taliban start whipping and executing people, and we all agree that is wrong. We are not going to solve that problem by stigmatizing burqa-wearing women. The womanmay be doing it of her free will, or she may be forced to wear it. In either case, it does not help if society scorns her in public.

Certainly not, that's exactly what's wrong with so many Pakistanis, they have suspended judgement of right / wrong and good / bad -- such that it seems that they can no longer tell the difference - and instead see them not as opposites but equals -- a more wraped view of reality cannot be imagined.

The only right or wrong I acknowledge is the right of people to freedom of thought and expression, as long as they don't curtail others' freedoms or break any laws. That's the significant point, in my opinion. You can't control people's thoughts or ideologies. You can only try to educate them and have legal safeguards to keep zealots in check.

A burqa-wearing woman who looks at a woman wearing tight jeans as a tramp is wrong, of course. The other woman may be a corporate professional who likes to dress sexy. Similarly, a 'liberated' woman who dismisses a burqa-wearing woman as an oppressed chattel may be equally wrong. The burqa woman may be a lawyer working for women's rights or a volunteer at a battered women's shelter.

Personally, I don't like the burqa; it isolates a person from society. But I also don't like mohawks or people wearing baggy purple pants.

But that's part of society. People shouldn't be stigmatized for their appearance, as long as they are not harming anybody.

The other main reason for my stance is my absolutely firm conviction that the debate over the burqa is just a precursor. Next they will go after the hijab and the headscarf. This is not about women's rights; it's about demonizing Muslims in general.

Last edited:
First you agree that the Burka denotes a set of attitudes and beliefs not just about oneself but also others

then you say that those ideas and attitudes are OK

You suggest that the Burka is about modesty, alone - you know that's not the case, and you know your readers will know that as well, you might want to trust us, we're not the enemy, at least not to the reasonable.

First you agree that the Burka denotes a set of attitudes and beliefs not just about oneself but also others

then you say that those ideas and attitudes are OK

Don't you think it's possible that a burqa-wearing woman may be thinking, "I will wear the burqa to denote my modesty. Whatever others are wearing is between them and their God. It's none of my business, just as my burqa is none of theirs"?

It's possible, however, just like in the case on my own female relatives and their experience with Hijab (they wore it because the college they attended in karachi was such that to not wear the Hijab, would mean the unwelcome attentions of students associated with a religous party, attention, well, unwelcome.)

Ah yes, Burka wearing female lawyer fighting for the rights of ..... (a new FOX show) -- Modesty, is that what a Burka is about? and therefore by extension those who do not wear it, are......immodest???

I understand your concerns with regard to the demonization of Muslims -- but Muslims are not defined by their fashion sense, rather by their faith in God - I fear that in your concern, you may, unintended, I'm sure, imagine that Muslims are defined by passing fashion sense or the idiot behaviors of bigots -- we should make common cause first amongst ourselves, then with those who are like minded regardless of their confession --- these religiously fashionable, these more modest than the rest of us, let them to consider whether they will revise their attitudes or suffer the consequences -- not at the hands of Europeans and such but at the hands of Muslims, who will suffer these morons no more.

Last edited:
We all agree that extremist, intolerant ideologies must be combatted. Where we disagree is whether stigmatizing burqa wearing women is the right approach. I would leave the women alone, both with and without burqa, as long as they are not harming anyone else. If the burqa crowd is harassing other women for "not being modest", then that needs to be handled by law enforcement.

Let's attack the root of the problem, which is the ideology, rather than the symptoms.

If you want women to become liberal..you must attack symbol of conservative....burka.

If you create stigma against burka...then only women will stop wearing burka.

If you do not create stigma...then women continue to wear it.

If you want women to become liberal..you must attack symbol of conservative....burka.

If you create stigma against burka...then only women will stop wearing burka.

If you do not create stigma...then women continue to wear it.

I don't want to force the level of liberalism or conservatism on women. I want them to make their own choice, from burqa to miniskirt.

do you really think they can make free choices in places such as Karachi or Peshawar or Gujranwalla or Multan? Honestly?

If in a place like Karachi, you can face gang rape for not conforming to the fashion sense of a particular religious party, you think women can make free choices.

I do agree with you about what an awful thing to be confronted with - but this is our reality, it's so much less than ideal and you may find that many of the choices we may be confronted with, will be of a similar quality --- If we cannot create the kind of environment where free choices can be made and are confronted by people who reject the entire notion of a free choice --- well, you know we should consider seriously if we are the kind of people who can be trusted to break a few eggs to make an omlette

do you really think they can make free choices in places such as Karachi or Peshawar or Gujranwalla or Multan? Honestly?

If in a place like Karachi, you can face gang rape for not conforming to the fashion sense of a particular religious party, you think women can make free choices.

I do agree with you about what an awful thing to be confronted with - but this is our reality, it's so much less than ideal and you may find that many of the choices we may be confronted with, will be of a similar quality --- If we cannot create the kind of environment where free choices can be made and are confronted by people who reject the entire notion of a free choice --- well, you know we should consider seriously if we are the kind of people who can be trusted to break a few eggs to make an omlette

That is a good point and I will admit there are no easy answers, Especially given our underfunded law enforcement infrastructure, and the power of religious parties.

:rofl: This man is an extremely funny comedian. I enjoyed his Real News show and this is pretty funny as well, especially in the video when he can't push or get her help when he is falling off the slide.

...and we often blame Religious Extremists for anything doesn't suit our liberal sentiments, what to do with these Liberal Extremists now - an unnoticed and prevailing menace?

How typical. Anybody who doesn't take Islam 100% seriously is referred to as a liberal extremist just to try and make the religious extremists look justified. Dawn was also called liberal extremist, people who say this are looking for justifications for religious extremism.

Back
Top Bottom