What's new

COAS to be part of National Development Council

No. It is not India's concern. It is India's entertainment.
Chalo atleast you guys are focusing on something productive to get entertainment previously you guys were raping anything that moved

Is Pakistan a developed society? Therein lies your answer.

What makes u think Pakistan is a developed society?, the problem is that u guys try to import ideas from developed countries when they never work in developing societies. Try to study how these so called developed societies functioned when they were in the process of developing. Each region has its own unique characteristics and solutions.

What level officer will be assisting PM if it isn't COAS and that's not economic advisor role rather to assist in regard to ground Intel, peace keeping and possible future threats. You have an extra hand to lend you some help so why not to utilize it instead. It's in regard to areas threatened with security issues.

Dears, I am not claiming that Pakistan is a developed country by any measure. But we certainly aspire to be, don't we? Institutions and their roles are defined in our democracy. No matter how fragile these institutions are, we still have a responsibility to make sure each center of power stays within its defined roles.

Let's not pretend that everything is right about the army. Sure it is a stable institute but it has its own share of problems. How would you guys respond if the Chief Justice is made part of this committee?

By Our CorrespondentPublished: June 18, 2019
TWEET

Prime Minister Imran Khan. PHOTO: INSTAGRAM/@imrankhan.pti
ISLAMABAD : In an unprecedented move, Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa will be made part of the National Development Council.

According to a notification issued by the Cabinet Division on Tuesday, the council will be headed by Prime Minister Imran Khan and will also include the foreign minister and advisor on finance.

The council will aim at setting policies and strategies for development and provide guidelines for regional cooperation.

It will also provide measures for local coordination and provincial chief ministers will also be invited to the council’s meetings.

In addition, members of the council will be tasked to formulate and tailor policies to achieve accelerated economic growth, approve long-term planning for national and regional connectivity.

nat-development-council-1560857241.png

Read more: COAS , Latest , National Development Council

Next give the head of ISI additional portfolio of interior minister,make the COAS foreign minister and DG ISPR information minister.

Before people criticize this move, they should understand the circumstances. The development of FATA and Waziristan region is being headed by the Army, and if you want to look at how it is coming along, you should check an RT documentary on Waziristan.

Why don't we simply amend the constitution and officially declare the Chief of the Army as the Premier of the country and the PM and President can then officially work under the Army Chief?

Beyond that, we must understand that the army plays a significant role in Pakistan and thus it must be part of any national effort. No, I would not support military dictatorship but role has to be provided to the military in the national strategy. I can see historical parallels in this. Most of the west prior in it's formative stage saw their armies play large role in the making of those nations. Britain, France, Turkey, Germany, USA etc

We are in this deep shit because we cannot make up our minds what is good for us. Historically, Military rule has been much much better than any political period. But when viewed from above, Military interventions and assertions are the reason and foundation why our political and democratic system is in such shambles. They continue to play their games from behind even when they are officially NOT in power. And the problem is that the Military leadership is NOT very smart! They can only look at things from their own limited and narrow field of vision because of which we are in such a crisis today.

How would you guys respond if the Chief Justice is made part of this committee?

I think that making Chief Justice of SCOP, part of an executive body, would be violation of the Constitution, on many accounts. COAS is already a part of the executive. Whether this decision is correct or not, but it doesn't violate the constitution, as far as I can gather.

Dears, I am not claiming that Pakistan is a developed country by any measure. But we certainly aspire to be, don't we?

What @VCheng and others, like him, are saying is that an underdeveloped society and/or state cannot behave or conduct in a manner as a developed one. Aspiration is something else, which implies an ambition to attain higher degrees of progress and development.

A person owning a bicycle can aspire to have a car, no doubt; but, while riding the bicycle, he cannot enjoy the comfort, speed and convenience of a car.

Historically, Military rule has been much much better than any political period. But when viewed from above, Military interventions and assertions are the reason and foundation why our political and democratic system is in such shambles. They continue to play their games from behind even when they are officially NOT in power. And the problem is that the Military leadership is NOT very smart! They can only look at things from their own limited and narrow field of vision because of which we are in such a crisis today.

Both civilian and military leaderships, in all spheres, are the product of the society and, therefore, inadvertently, carry the attributes and characteristics of that society, in somewhat pronounced manner.

Last edited:
It should be 20 members not 18. Add Air and Naval Chief also.

Both civilian and military leaderships, in all spheres, are the product of the society and, therefore, inadvertently, carry the attributes and characteristics of that society, in somewhat pronounced manner.

I beg to disagree, particularly on the part about Military Leadership which cleanses all officers off civilian accord and influences and by the time these officers move into the elite leadership positions, they are acclimatized to the Military's special style of ruling; both when directly, or indirectly in power.

Dears, I am not claiming that Pakistan is a developed country by any measure. But we certainly aspire to be, don't we? Institutions and their roles are defined in our democracy. No matter how fragile these institutions are, we still have a responsibility to make sure each center of power stays within its defined roles.

Let's not pretend that everything is right about the army. Sure it is a stable institute but it has its own share of problems. How would you guys respond if the Chief Justice is made part of this committee?

What @VCheng and others, like him, are saying is that an underdeveloped society and/or state cannot behave or conduct in a manner as a developed one. Aspiration is something else, which implies an ambition to attain higher degrees of progress and development.

A person owning a bicycle can aspire to have a car, no doubt; but, while riding the bicycle, he cannot enjoy the comfort, speed and convenience of a car.

PDF has blamed me for years for being "anti-Army" when all I do is fairly criticize it for all things it does wrong - and those it does illegally. But there is also much that it does right, and I cannot find enough grounds with the present step to say that it is wrong in the overall scheme of things, but only to be expected.

The car and bicycle analogy above is a good one. :D

(There is an old article arguing for formalizing the Army's role in certain areas somewhere in the PDF archives that I wrote back in the day when I cared enough to participate in that sort of thing. :D )

Last edited:
I beg to disagree, particularly on the part about Military Leadership which cleanses all officers off civilian accord and influences and by the time these officers move into the elite leadership positions, they are acclimatized to the Military's special style of ruling; both when directly, or indirectly in power.

What you have written, I fully agree to it; but it doesn't contradict, what I have said. Ultimately, both the civilian as well as military officials are the product of the society.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom