Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
‘Christianity to Islam and back’: Woman moves court against father
THE NEWSPAPER'S STAFF REPORTER — UPDATED 10 MINUTES AGO
WHATSAPP
0 COMMENTS
PRINT
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Monday sought assistance of the Punjab advocate general on a petition of a Christian woman seeking action against her father for changing religion twice.

Aneela Saleem filed the petition through Advocate Aftab Bajwa stating that her father Saleem Nazeer converted to Islam, married a Christian woman and converted her too.

Later, the petitioner said, his wife died and her burial was carried out as per Christian traditions. The petitioner further said her father married another Christian woman and converted her to Islam.

However, she claimed, her father recently started claiming to be a Christian. She asked the court to order a first information report be registered against her father for changing religions.

Justice Syed Kazim Raza Shamsi observed that conversion from Islam leads to death penalty. He asked the advocate general to assist the court on the matter and adjourned hearing for May 25.

Published in Dawn, May 10th, 2016

WHATSAPP
0 COMMENTS
PRINT

Yes punishment for apostasy is death penalty but it has to be proven in a sharia court and the accused has to be interrogated by a panel of judges and scholars and then if all conditions are met , the judges can give the verdict of death penalty. In short its the gov and the court that has authority to carry out the punishment not any x,y,z individual muslim. Now does PAK follow sharia penal code for such cases?

An interesting case lets see what the outcome is though i know of a case where a woman(Muslim on papers) turned Christian again after divorce and is raising her kids Christians in Rawalpindi
@PaklovesTurkiye @Musafir117 @waz @The Sandman @Moonlight @haviZsultan @django @Spring Onion
Whatever the decision maybe this case will be monitored on intl media

An interesting case lets see what the outcome is though i know of a case where a woman(Muslim on papers) turned Christian again after divorce and is raising her kids Christians in Rawalpindi
@PaklovesTurkiye @Musafir117 @waz @The Sandman @Moonlight @haviZsultan @django @Spring Onion

Why does his daughter have a problem with him now that he is a Christian. What does she want him punished for?

What kind of a Christian converts his spouse to Islam?

Why does his daughter have a problem with him now that he is a Christian. What does she want him punished for?

What kind of a Christian converts his spouse to Islam?
He only converted to marry

Death penalty is not the standard norm against apostasy. I am a Muslim and I believe and love Islam but most of people do not know the background. Then why the death penalty is such a known thing in islamic world today?...perhaps because we lack scholars of highest caliber and we do not read the history to get the proper context. When Holy Prophoet Muhammad (ﷺ) migrated to Madina, Jews were at helm of affairs there however they saw their influence reduced to zero and hordes of people started to convert/revert to Islam. Thus some of the jews devised a devious scheme to malign Islam (much like their controlled media today) and the plan was that a group of jews will convert to Islam, let's say in the morning, and will revert back to judaism after some time and claim that Islam did not impress them....this way the mass conversion of people to Islam will be reduced and they may even get some newly converted Muslims to follow the suit and this way sabotage the whole thing. This really worried and disheartened Muslims and was brought to the notice of holy Prophet (ﷺ) and he, after consulting with his companions, issued the order that from now on if someone will leave Islam, he will be killed and as the news spread, the whole devious scheme of the jews flopped. Only the sincere people entered Islam after that. Thus it was for that particular scenario and if such a case happens today, the same punishment can be applied but for an individual whose aim was not to malign Islam, should not be given a death penalty. Rather a panel of Muslim scholars should discuss with him and try to remove his doubts and if he still is not convinced...he can live his life as a non-Muslim...after all Holy Quran says there is no compulsion in the religion (Ch 2 Al-Baqrah, verse 256) and also if we take the most fundamental teaching of Islam is that the humans and Djinns have free will to chose the path and for that they will be rewarded in hereafter.

Last edited:
Death penalty is not the standard norm against apostasy. I am a Muslim and I believe and love Islam but most of people do not know the background. Then why the death penalty is such a known thing in islamic world today...perhaps because we lack scholars of highest calibers and we do not read the history to get the proper context. When Holy Prophoet Muhammad (ﷺ) migrated to Madina, Jews were at helm of affairs there however they saw their influence reduced to zero and hordes of people started to convert/revert to Islam. Thus some of the jews devised a devious scheme to malign Islam (much like their controlled media today) and the plan was a group of jews will convert to Islam, let's say in the morning, and will revert back to judaism after some time and claim that Islam did not impress them....this way the mass conversion of people to Islam will be reduced and they may even get some newly converted Muslims to follow the suit and this way sabotage the whole thing. This really worried and disheartened Muslim and this was brought to the notice of holy Prophet (ﷺ) and he after consulting with his companions issued the order that from now on if some will leave Islam, he will be killed and as the news spread, the whole devious scheme of jews flopped. Then only the sincere people entered Islam. Thus it was for that particular scenario and if such a case happens today, the same punishment can be applied but for an individual whose aim was not to malign Islam, should not be given a death penalty. Rather a panel of Muslim scholars should discuss with him and try to remove his doubts and if he still is not convinced...he can live his life as a non-Muslim...after all Holy Quran says there is no compulsion in the religion (Ch 2 Al-Baqrah, verse 256) and also if we take the most fundamental teaching of Islam is that the humans and Djinns have free will to chose the path and for that they will be rewarded in hereafter.

Bhai, the Quran says that there is no compulsion in religion in the sense that you can't force anyone to become Muslim. That verse is not a reference to apostasy.

The Prophet (saw) has said that if anyone changes his religion, then kill him (of course this is the state's duty).

Btw some ulema also believe that the above Hadith refers to Jews and Christians leaving their religions (unless the religion they are changing to is Islam)

Bhai, the Quran says that there is no compulsion in religion in the sense that you can't force anyone to become Muslim. That verse is not a reference to apostasy.

The Prophet (saw) has said that if anyone changes his religion, then kill him (of course this is the state's duty).

Btw some ulema also believe that the above Hadith refers to Jews and Christians leaving their religions (unless the religion they are changing to is Islam)
Listen to him

Islam requires sincerity and if someone does not believe in Islam and want to leave....just because of the fear of the death penalty, he or she may pretend to be Muslim but in fact he/she is not...would make him/her a hypocrite at best....Muslim in face but kafir in heart....do we want that? It is a person's will and on the day of judgement he will be responsible for his deeds. All we can do is try to clear his confusions..I hope that I answered your question.

Last edited:
Btw bro, Zakir Naik is not a qualified alim e deen.
Idk what is your definition of a scholar brother okay ....Listen to him, he actually recounts the event i wrote in my first post on this thread.

Brother always select the kind way if you are provided with the options.

Another scholar of eminence about apostasy

This chap Saleem Nazeer looks like he may be a little deranged, let the doctors asses him.kudos

People around the Prophet converted and reverted many times; but the Prophet did nothing to them and advised his companions to do the same. The problem only surfaced up after a plot in Medina relating to Jews and orders given that any desertion or betrayal in battle is death penalty unless repentance.

Back
Top Bottom