What's new

Chinese tourists flocking back to Japan in droves: Sign of Warming Relations

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
chinese-VISA-m[1].jpg

SHANGHAI -- Anti-Japan protests that erupted in China in 2012 over ownership of the Senkaku Islands cut deeply into the number of Chinese visitors to Japan, but this year the figure has made a huge recovery.

Around 1.79 million Chinese visitors arrived in Japan this year between January and September, a jump of around 80 percent compared with the same period last year. At the current pace the figure will top 2 million before the year ends.

The growth comes despite continuing political friction between the two nations, most recently due to Chinese ships illegally harvesting red coral in Japanese waters.

Recently, the cruise ship Costa Victoria ferried around 2,400 Chinese tourists on a five-day trip between Shanghai, South Korea's Jeju Island and Fukuoka Prefecture. The cost of the tour, which was fully booked, was relatively cheap, at 4,299 yuan, or around 80,000 yen. Many of the participants were visiting Japan for the first time.

Jiang Deyun, a 70-year-old tour participant from Zhejiang province, commented, "I'll definitely buy a rice cooker. Japanese-made goods are reliable." With more time available after retirement, Jiang was venturing overseas for the first time. "There are more people in China now with wealth who want to see the world, and I am one of them."

Every year, the number of Chinese nationals traveling abroad is increasing by roughly 20 percent, with the figure now up at around 100 million a year.

Despite the ready access to information in this day and age, in China, there remains a deeply rooted image of the Japanese as malicious, like the characters depicted in anti-Japanese television dramas.

Jiang says, "While the two countries' relations are complex, I think regular Japanese people are good people. I want to know what feelings arise when Chinese and Japanese actually meet each other."

Splitting up and traveling in around 50 buses, the tourists visited shopping malls and the Dazaifu Tenmangu shrine. From one of the buses, a Chinese tour guide pointed outside. "Unlike China, the houses in Japan are small, but they don't collapse in earthquakes, and few people die. Why has a country with so few natural resources become this wealthy? There are many things for us to learn from them." The tourists nodded in agreement as they looked out the windows.

Chinese visits to Japan fell sharply after the anti-Japan protests of autumn 2012. At the Consulate-General of Japan in Shanghai, which hands out the most visas for Chinese visiting Japan, the number of group-tour visas issued in November 2012 dropped 90 percent from the previous year, to 673. Group tours are easily affected by political events.

The numbers have been recovering since autumn last year, however. From September last year, the monthly visitor numbers from China have continued to be the highest on record. A strong yuan and weak yen are thought to be behind this. But that is not the only potential reason. According to a representative for a major travel agency in Shanghai, two years ago in China "there was a feeling that if you recommended a trip to Japan you would be called a traitor." But now, according to surveys by the Japan Tourism Agency, around 90 percent of Chinese tourists are satisfied with their trips to Japan, and Japan ranks as one of the top destinations Chinese want to visit. A Japan-China diplomatic source says, "It is clear that Chinese are drawing a line between political problems and civilian interaction."

Another person on the cruise, Lu Xiaoyuan, 23, of Zhejiang Province, had just started working recently. In urban areas of China, a university graduate's first monthly paycheck is on average less than 4,500 yuan, or around 80,000 yen, which makes 4,300 yuan a hefty price for a tour. Still, Lu says she wants to buy Japanese cosmetics on the trip.

"I've seen Japanese drama shows on the Internet, but I don't feel that I understand Japan from that," she says. She had discussions with a group of four people around her age on the cruise regarding political differences between China and Japan, and says, "Even if there are disagreements over history between China and Japan, that is not a reason for us to not learn about Japan. The true reason I want to visit Japan is to see the real Japan, not just the one from history. To me, cosmetics are part of that real Japan."

Chinese tourists flocking back to Japan in droves after downturn in 2012 - 毎日新聞

Five-day trip about 4000Yuan? Sounds nice.

Wish even greater people-to-people interaction. :)

Just the dose Japan's ailing economy needs. Tourists come, spend their money, buying Japanese products. Said products need to be replaced on shelves too again be sold to the happy tourists; increases to Japan's manufacturing and industry base ensue. The cycle repeats, sometimes increasing as the numbers of tourists increase. The impact is small compared to the comprehensive reforms and help the economy still needs to escape the doldrums, but it's a harbinger of future economic, cultural and political cooperation.

Not just Chinese tourists, but around the world people are interested and traveling to Japan. Japan Tries to Tap Growing Muslim Tourist Market - ABC News

Last edited:
Just the dose Japan's ailing economy needs. Tourists come, spend their money, buying Japanese products. Said products need to be replaced on shelves too again be sold to the happy tourists; increase to Japans manufacturing and industry ensue. The cycle repeats, sometimes increasing as the numbers of tourists increase. The impact is small compared to the comprehensive reform and help the economy still needs to escape the doldrums, but its harbinger of future economic, cultural and political cooperation.

Absolutely. It is insane how much and how many Chinese visit Japan and the economic contributions these tourists have on local economy. Over 1.2 million Taiwanese have visited Japan in just the past 8 months. Chinese tourists are now estimated to top 2 million before the end of this year. So, about 3 million to 3.2 million tourists from China + Taiwan, alone. Let's say each tourist spends around $500 in their stay in Japan; that's around $1.6 Billion generated just on Chinese tourists alone into the local economy. As relations increase and improve, Chinese tourists to Japan will only increase.

Overall, it is the Japanese small to medium sized enterprises that will benefit. A win-win scenario. :)

Absolutely. It is insane how much and how many Chinese visit Japan and the economic contributions these tourists have on local economy. Over 1.2 million Taiwanese have visited Japan in just the past 8 months. Chinese tourists are now estimated to top 2 million before the end of this year. So, about 3 million to 3.2 million tourists from China + Taiwan, alone. Let's say each tourist spends around $500 in their stay in Japan; that's around $1.6 Billion generated just on Chinese tourists alone into the local economy. As relations increase and improve, Chinese tourists to Japan will only increase.

Overall, it is the Japanese small to medium sized enterprises that will benefit. A win-win scenario. :)

Do you think the warming political relations will also positively impact Japanese decision to travel to China?

It should not be a one-way street.

Do you think the warming political relations will also positively impact Japanese decision to travel to China?

China has been the #1 destination of Japanese tourists in Asia, and #2 overall:

1-Continental United States(3,698,073)
2- People's Republic of China(2,877,500)
3-Republic of Korea(2,747,750)
4-Thailand(1,537,979)
5-States of Hawai(1,523,302)
6-Taiwan(1,421,550)
7-Hong Kong(1,057,033)
8-Guam(893,118)
9-The Republic of Singapore(757,116)(2012)
10-The Federal Republic of Germany(734,475)

http://www.jnto.go.jp/jpn/reference/tourism_data/visitor_trends/2014_february_zantei.pdf

国・地域別 / 目的別 訪日外客数(2012年~2013年月別暫定値)|訪日外客数の動向|日本政府観光局(JNTO)

Buddy @TaiShang ,

You notice that around 3.6 million Japanese visit the United States.

Over 2.8 million visit PRC, and over 1.4 Million visit Taiwan. But combine both, there are over 4.2 Million Japanese visit "China + Taiwan". Making China really the #1 destination of Japanese Tourists.

Like I said, China is very, very, very popular. ;)

Correction:

I was wrong. I had forgot to include Japanese tourists who visited Hong Kong (around 1 million). So, including PRC+Taiwan+ Hong Kong, over 5.2 Million Japanese visit China annually.

Damn. That's the population of Israel, Denmark, or Norway. LOL.

Correction:

I was wrong. I had forgot to include Japanese tourists who visited Hong Kong (around 1 million). So, including PRC+Taiwan+ Hong Kong, over 5.2 Million Japanese visit China annually.

Damn. That's the population of Israel, Denmark, or Norway. LOL.

Yeah HK is also popular among Japanese. I remember a group of Japanese tourists in awe when they looked at the night view of Kowloon from the peak. :D

Yeah HK is also popular among Japanese. I remember a group of Japanese tourists in awe when they looked at the night view of Kowloon from the peak. :D

Kowloon is beautiful place. It has an "old city" feel to it. ;)

:D

Hey @Nihonjin1051 , @TaiShang is right, Japanese tourists should reciprocate and visit China, even more then they already do. Speaking of which... If you ever head back to Japan and decide to take a trip to China as well, let me know. I'd like a souvenir.

Chi-ling-Lin.jpg

:china:

@Nihonjin1051

It is good that tourism between China and Japan is balanced. However an overall tourism imbalance is becoming a reality.

Tourism Deficits Loom Large

With Chinese tourists traveling elsewhere in vigorously increasing numbers, questions are being raised about the lack of incoming visitors

By Yin Pumin

Though there has been vigorous growth in outbound tourism and with it a generous increase in Chinese money being sent overseas, the same cannot be said of China's inbound tourism industry. According to the China Tourism Academy (CTA), a research institute under the China National Tourism Administration (CNTA), there will be a $100 billion tourism deficit this year.
In 2014, about 116 million Chinese citizens are expected to travel overseas, and spend a total of $155 billion, up 20 percent from a year ago, said Dai Bin, President of the CTA.

China saw fewer foreign tourists in 2008, when the global financial crisis led to drastically reduced foreign tourist spending in the country while a stronger yuan encouraged tourist outflow, according to Xinhua News Agency.

Explosive outbound travel

China is the world's largest source country for outbound tourists and ranks first in international tourism expenditure, according to CTA's annual report released on June 10. The report reviewed the development of China's outbound tourism in the year 2013.

When analyzing inbound and outbound tourism, we should distinguish between foreign visitors and visitors from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, said Zhang Weiqiang, a professor with the Guangdong University of Finance and Economics (GUFE). Currently, visitors from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan to China's mainland are counted as inbound tourists, and vice versa.

In 2013, Chinese travelers made 98.19 million international trips, up 18 percent from 2012, according to the CTA report, making for a 10-fold increase since 2000 when compared to data from the UN World Tourism Organization.

The CTA report revealed that Chinese tourists spent a total of $128.7 billion overseas in 2013, up 26.8 percent from the previous year, when the country overtook Germany as the top international tourism spender.

CNTA estimated that in the first half of 2014, Chinese travelers spent more than $70 billion on their overseas trips, up 20.7 percent year on year.

Appreciations of the Chinese yuan, relaxed visa policies and domestic policies encouraging the orderly development of tourism have contributed to the growth of outbound tourism, the report said.

As the leader of a think tank in the tourism industry, CTA President Dai said that he has personally witnessed this dramatic growth in outbound tourism.

"Seven or eight years ago, we were often woken up from our sleep by phone calls from friends sending greetings from the Statue of Liberty, the Sphinx statue in Egypt, Notre Dame in Paris or the Sydney Opera House," Dai said. He went on to explain that they called because they were very excited to get abroad. Now, this no longer happens because traveling overseas is not such a rare thing, he said.

Now it's not only officials and celebrities traveling overseas, but also the general public, Dai said, adding that this has become part of the middle class lifestyle.

This year, Wang Qing and his wife, a retired couple in Beijing, made two overseas trips. They first went sightseeing in Europe with a tour group in the spring, and finding traveling overseas to be quite exciting, they then went to Thailand.

Outbound tourists used to almost all come from first-tier cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and other economically developed coastal cities. Now more and more of them are from second and third-tier cities and central and western China, Dai said.

Tourists are no longer content with following tour groups, either; many have begun to choose individualized travel packages and a more in-depth experience of their destinations.

The most frequently visited destination region for outbound Chinese travelers in 2013 was Southeast Asia, where around 10 million Chinese traveled, said Dai. That year, more than two thirds of outbound tourists visited Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, and just over 30 million traveled to foreign countries, he said.

Fewer incoming tourists
Inbound travel to China's mainland has been stagnant in recent years.

On October 23, the NTA published data for inbound travel in the first nine months of this year. The period recorded a total of 94.65 million trips made by inbound tourists, including 75.43 million trips made by residents of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan and 19.21 million trips by visitors from foreign countries.

Of all foreign visitors, 11.82 million were from Asia, 4.09 million from Europe, 2.28 million from North America and the rest from other regions.

On October 20, the CTA also published a report reviewing inbound tourism in 2013. Last year, inbound tourists made a total of 120.08 million trips to China, down 2.51 percent from the previous year, the report said.

Inbound tourists generated total revenue of $51.66 billion in the year, up 3.27 percent from the previous year.

Those visiting mainly came to China to learn about the culture and do sightseeing. Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Guilin, Guangzhou and the Three Gorges Dam were major destinations, the report said.

Compared to the number of inbound visitors in 2013, this year 102.78 million were from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, and 26.29 million were from foreign countries.

Last year, the top 10 largest sources of inbound tourists were South Korea, Japan, Russia, the United States, Viet Nam, Malaysia, Mongolia, the Philippines, Singapore and Australia.

More than 70 percent of inbound tourists spent $501-3,000 on their trips, the CTA report said.

In 2013, per-capita spending of Chinese traveling overseas was almost three times that of foreign tourists spent in China, Fan Zhiyong, an associate professor with the School of Economics of Renmin University of China, told Xinhua News Agency.

Dai said that the generally lackluster world economy and increase in the competitiveness of neighboring countries has contributed to the stagnation in China's inbound tourism. Heavy smog and concern over food safety has also held some foreign travelers back.

Nonetheless, he believes a main reason is the inability of the country's tourism industry to adapt to new trends in international travel.

He said that competition between tourist destinations used to be in tourism resources, products, images and management, while now it is gradually shifting toward the social environment, the country's image, and management of diversified tourist flows.

He said that major tourist destination countries and regions have implemented comprehensive policies to promote the development of inbound tourism, such as easing visa procedures and launching promotional campaigns.

Dai suggested that China's tourism industry should jump out of the box and reorient toward tourists.

In 2014, the NTA launched a number of advertising campaigns overseas, including "Beautiful China—Rediscover the Silk Road" and "Journey Along the Great Wall," the promotional website Cn.travelchina.gov.cn, as well as Facebook and Twitter accounts.

The fact that outbound tourism has outgrown inbound tourism should not be a surprise, said Liu Simin, a researcher with the Tourism Research Center under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

He said that inbound and outbound tourism in China are in different life phases. Inbound tourism started in China after the implementation of the reform and opening-up policy in the late 1970s, and now has history of more than 30 years, whereas outbound tourism started around the year of 2000.

When China had just opened up, it was a new destination for foreigners, so although it did not have good facilities, foreigners flocked into the country, Liu said. Now, China is becoming more and more international, and foreigners are no longer as curious, he said. However, curiosity about the outside world is prompting more and more Chinese to go abroad.

@SvenSvensonov , ha ha ha! you're a bad boy !

I can't help it! Asian women are just too beautiful. I love, and am engaged (I did it!!!), to a very pretty woman. But I'd dump her in a heart-beat (And now I hope she isn't on PDF too, or I'm on the couch for the next month! ) for the women of my dreams.

images.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom