What's new

Chinese Stock Markets Are in the Middle of an ‘Unprecedented’ Slide

It is a prognostic factor, and for us who have investments in China, is quite worrisome. I do know about the Index fluctuations, but the issue that I'm concerned about is the internal aspect and the policies that the Central Bank has tried to implement, yet have failed to properly manage. The four interest-rate cuts and other monetary easing, however, haven’t done enough to lower borrowing costs, especially because the economy faces increased deflationary pressure. Another issue that I'm concerned about (as one who has invested in Chinese stocks....) is the fact that in China, specially the manufacturing sector, there has been a recent trend in job shedding and its a lot worse than back in 2009 and that may put a damp on manufacturing output. There are just a lot of factors to consider right now.

And the loss of $3.7 Trillion is not a good sign at all for us.
You are right mate. But isn't it better to get out of the crashing market and save whatever capital that you can save. Instead of worrying, why not use this opportunity to earn by selling and even by short selling since you know the fundamentals are on a shaky ground and future outlook is bleak ?

The reason why the stock market in China has fallen is because of a government crackdown on marging debt. And just more recently the stock market has taken another hit because of investigations into irregularities.

The stockmarket has nothing or very little to do with the real economy. That is as true for China as for any other country. Stock prices are driven more by emotions and speculations rather than facts.

True.

My bro has a portfolio and he stares at a screen all day while doing little other work. On another tab on his laptop is the page for betfair Australia.

In the end its just gambling and its unfortunate that a lot of the wealth in the world is derived from numbers on a computer screen.

There is always an element of speculations in investing, but investing in stock market as such is not gambling. A little care in studying the stock before investing goes a long way in getting superior returns. If one has no time or ability to analyze stocks but want to invest in stocks can invest in them through mutual funds. Apart from stocks, it is also important to diversify your investments across different asset classes such as into high yield bonds so as not to loose all your money. Successful investing is not about earning high returns, but ability to limit your losses before earning returns.

Nobody got USD 3.7 trillion. That was the amount of over valuation of the stock market as thought by the investors as of today.

Ok, no money was exchanged and no no money was lost, it was just a thought, an idea, a wishful thinking. So, why worry? :)

Overrated or not...your are not getting the point. A fall of 30% in the stock index in matter of days is not good for your economy and reveals a fundamental flaw on how your companies are valued by the markets
If I am not wrong, Your point is that 5000 points Chinese stock index is overated, or the stock market can't reflect the value of company.

As a whole, China stock market value is not high, not overrated, I not deny that, some companies stock value are overrated, but the blue chip stocks not, this heavy fall was caused by too fast rising, you don't know Chinese stock market, it is not mature, too much specultion, it is not mature, all these was used by shorting seller.

Too fast rising and falling, both not good for Chinese economy, but too fast rising will be worse for Chinese economy, the heavy speculation will hurt Chinese substantial economy, more money rush into stock market, people don't want work, help earn easy money, it is better that falling now than in higher index.

Chinese stock market is not mature, it is always not in line with the company real value, low stock price always can't influence the company management, good company not mean high stock price in China, too much speculation.

in your last comment, you said the fall is because Chinese economy meet diffcult, talking about the fall respectively, it doesn't matter with Chinese economy, Chinese economy maybe have problem: but structual transformation of the economy, this is stage, if India can reach Chinese economy level, you will meet it, if not, you will like South America countries.

Now, Chinese economy growth rate slow, but still not slow comparing with most of other countries, even with developing countries, we are still up, not collapse, Chinese economy meet difficulty, but not incurable disease, China can develop faster if we want, but that is not sustainable, if we don't slow it, don't do structural transformation of the economy, then oneday, it will become incurable disease.

Here, I will be off topic a moment, talking about India economy in my opinion:
I concern on India economy, after Modi being PM, find many indian see him as savior, In fact, it is irrational.
The problems and difficulty india met is much more and serious than China, your second industry is too weak, poor infrastructure, all these is not real difficulty, but you social structure and bureaucrat, land policy, all these will influence you developing industry and infrastructure developing heavily, can't solve these, I don't think your growth is sustainable, your economy is more fragile than China, I have no question on Modi's knowledge and ability on economy, but whether he can change your government, and dare to touch even ruin some real obstacle for developing economy sustainably.

Some Indian here talking about your young population, it is too naive and superficial, all these just can say it is your huge potential, but the question is till now, you don't destroy the obstacle that let it become you real power, if you can't, it will become you huge burden, as time go, the world change, robot era come, you miss the chance, at that time, the potential will become indian nightmare, accelerate the collapse of India.

I always say that CN economy will collapse when TTP deal come to reality, seems like it will collapse even faster when all investor just wanna get the hell out of CN as fast as possible

Bowing down to daddy US in 1979 to get money is never a smart idea. US raise u up but US also can put u down any time their want to :pop:
China stock market is not in line with Chinese economy, like you IQ is not in line with your age, of course, this refer to Chinese standard, not Vietnamese standard, every time, reading comments, I will smile, in my real life, not meet a 30 years old man, but IQ is just 8 years old level, hehe.

Last edited:
True.

My bro has a portfolio and he stares at a screen all day while doing little other work. On another tab on his laptop is the page for betfair Australia.

In the end its just gambling and its unfortunate that a lot of the wealth in the world is derived from numbers on a computer screen.

It really is a form of gambling, buddy. A lot of folks invested in Chinese manufacturing, Chinese real estate. For me --- i have an expanded portfolio in Chinese Pharmaceuticals --- and I don't like to toot my own horn, but let's say I've made a LOT of money in it.

Four of my top performing investments include:

a) Guangzhou Pharmaceuticals

b) Yangtze River Pharmaceuticals

c) Kangmei Pharmaceuticals

d) Buchang Pharma

-----

PS. Props to your brother. ;)

IPO have been stopped, time to save share market .

LOL. Time to buy. ;)

There is always an element of speculations in investing, but investing in stock market as such is not gambling. A little care in studying the stock before investing goes a long way in getting superior returns. If one has no time or ability to analyze stocks but want to invest in stocks can invest in them through mutual funds. Apart from stocks, it is also important to diversify your investments across different asset classes such as into high yield bonds so as not to loose all your money. Successful investing is not about earning high returns, but ability to limit your losses before earning returns.

Dude, I did do a few finance units at uni.

You are correct in stating that it is not precisely gambling and diversification in negatively correlating stocks can help limit loss but just look at the thread in which you are posting this.

In China, the stocks went up by 140% over twelve months and dropped 30% in a few days. Speculation is just a fancy word for well planned gambling.

Remember the relation between risk and return - the riskiest stocks return the most. Like betting that China will lose to India in cricket will earn you .00000000000000000000000000001% on any bookee willing to pay.

The labor cost in China is more than what is there in India and now many problems have come up in China which includes Xinjiang, Hong Kong and other ethinic problems due to weak internal economy.

China has been producing low cost very low quality products which has destroyed the world economies specially those in the North America and EU. Still, US technocrats have hinted that they had a card to play which is to use new Nano tech based industries to wipe out China. On this nano tech both North America and EU are working and have made good progress. I am sure that in 2 years time North America and EU will again be a super power with China and Russia being split in many parts again.

Would love to see Siberia as a country of Santa and Snow White :)

I think Pakistan should not fear about the $45 Billion investment as the local investor is much more strong and reliable.
You are so wrong, China is investing in many nano tech as well. Not only US and EU, if the Chinese mastermind the nano tech too with the low costs. Will you think US can destroy China industries? I mean not only US and EU research in the nanotechnology. Take a look at India and Vietnam, they labor cost is dirt cheaper then Chinese.

Ok, no money was exchanged and no no money was lost, it was just a thought, an idea, a wishful thinking. So, why worry? :)

You have no idea about stock markets and investing...am I right?

Let me explain to you. Money is not exchanged, but money is lost. Ex: I brought $100 stock yesterday...today the value of the stock fell to $70. So if I have to sell the stock today I get $70...a loss of $30.

You are so wrong, China is investing in many nano tech as well. Not only US and EU, if the Chinese mastermind the nano tech too with the low costs. Will you think US can destroy China industries? I mean not only US and EU research in the nanotechnology. Take a look at India and Vietnam, they labor cost is dirt cheaper then Chinese.

Cheap labor plays a role, but not so much anymore now that many of the manufacturing powers are applying robotic mass production technology. China is following the Japanese and the Koreans in that paradigm --- robotic technology for production , which actually is proven for efficiency, and increased output.

Less incidence of human error.

You have no idea about stock markets and investing...am I right?

Let me explain to you. Money is not exchanged, but money is lost. Ex: I brought $100 stock yesterday...today the value of the stock fell to $70. So if I have to sell the stock today I get $70...a loss of $30.

True, absolutely true. But for the seasoned investor, even tho he experienced a loss of $.30, he'll keep his shares, until the price rises again at say $1.5 or more, then sell.

You win some, you lose some, but patience is key to making profit.

It really is a form of gambling, buddy. A lot of folks invested in Chinese manufacturing, Chinese real estate. For me --- i have an expanded portfolio in Chinese Pharmaceuticals --- and I don't like to toot my own horn, but let's say I've made a LOT of money in it.

Four of my top performing investments include:

a) Guangzhou Pharmaceuticals

b) Yangtze River Pharmaceuticals

c) Kangmei Pharmaceuticals

d) Buchang Pharma

-----

PS. Props to your brother. ;)

LOL. Time to buy. ;)

Im too old fashioned to get into stocks.

I was actually raised by by great grandma in my young years (1- 13) and she was born in 1904 - 7 years before the fall of the Qing dynasty!

From her I learned frugality and austerity.

Stocks are just too volatile for me. Solid hard land and property is the way to go for me.

Dude, I did do a few finance units at uni.

You are correct in stating that it is not precisely gambling and diversification in negatively correlating stocks can help limit loss but just look at the thread in which you are posting this.

In China, the stocks went up by 140% over twelve months and dropped 30% in a few days. Speculation is just a fancy word for well planned gambling.

Remember the relation between risk and return - the riskiest stocks return the most. Like betting that China will lose to India in cricket will earn you .00000000000000000000000000001% on any bookee willing to pay.

Good...I too am planning to get my formal education in finance in 2016, probably from a US university.

Back
Top Bottom