What's new

Chinese nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.

I have looked into briefly the Washington Times article by Miles Yu entitled,"Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S." First, I believe this is more of an opinion piece by Yu and at the same time a Taiwanese cheerleader for the US. After his "awesomeness" sentence, the original piece shows PHOTOS: Take that, China — check out the U.S. Navy's nuclear submarines.

His other articles he has written are mainly anti-China. Not to mention the Washington Times is founded partly by Unification Church which also owns newspapers in Japan, S. Korea and South America. Their views are considered more right wing leaning. The founder is Sun Myung Moon.

I tried to find if I can corroborate with the things Yu wrote but I could not. Yu wrote,

“Because the Midwest states of the U.S. are sparsely populated, in order to increase the lethality, [our] nuclear attacks should mainly target the key cities on the West Coast of the United States, such as Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego,” the Global Times said.

“The 12 JL-2 nuclear warheads carried by one single Type 094 SSBN can kill and wound 5 million to 12 million Americans,” the Global Times reported.

“If we launch our DF 31A ICBMs over the North Pole, we can easily destroy a whole list of metropolises on the East Coast and the New England region of the U.S., including Annapolis, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Portland, Baltimore and Norfolk, whose population accounts for about one-eighth of America’s total residents,” the Global Times said."

Sadly, I could not find the article from Global Times Yu was referring to in his article. When you click on his link to "Global Times" it goes back to Washington Times! I have read many Chinese news articles and the Chinese govenment's offical words do not sound anything that resembles what Yu wrote. Those words sound like Yu made it up. If somebody can find the Global Times article that states what Yu wrote, please post.

In summary, based on Yu's past records for writing anti-China views on his articles and the lack of sources, I think Yu made up most of what was said in his article in order to rally more anti-Chinese feelings in America. Until more proof of his sources, I think his piece is closer to sensationalism rather than true journalism.

we know this and hence it doesnt need to be said. otoh lots of people doubt chinese capabilities of attacking the US with SLBMs, the US even said china apparently doesnt conduct SSBM patrols and the JL-2 wont enter service until 2014 or so. the recent CCTV segments essentially said, they conduct patrols all the time and the the JL-2 is in service (sticking the middle finger to Us intelligence which it oddly does a lot with the likes of the j-20 and j-31 and others project in which american estimates are off)

Thank you very much for your rational response.

Back
Top Bottom