What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

001SX8hXly1hcuywav2c3j63sw2ps1kz02.jpg
001SX8hXly1hcuizb7hdyj640c2v4x7302.jpg

Via @央广军事 from Weibo

Just wanted to ask, what Air to Air missile China has or is working on which is comparable to Meteor missile technology wise.
I think it's called PL-XX but no specification or images are present on the internet.
If anyone of you have any details please do share

Just wanted to ask, what Air to Air missile China has or is working on which is comparable to Meteor missile technology wise.
I think it's called PL-XX but no specification or images are present on the internet.
If anyone of you have any details please do share

PL-XX is a name of family of BVR missiles that China is working on, it’s not the name of a particular missile. The Chinese ramjet BVR missile is called the PL-21 and it considerably faster and flies further than the Meteor missile, according to open source information available.

PL-XX is a name of family of BVR missiles that China is working on, it’s not the name of a particular missile. The Chinese ramjet BVR missile is called the PL-21 and it considerably faster and flies further than the Meteor missile, according to open source information available.

I think to quote a totally outdated report from 2017 is not the best to explain ... and IMO the often mentioned Ramjet-PL-21 is long abandoned.

I think to quote a totally outdated report from 2017 is not the best to explain ... and IMO the often mentioned Ramjet-PL-21 is long abandoned.

I wouldn’t know, and I am just going by what’s publicly available. Not all of us are deeply involved in Chinese military developments as you, so it’s unfair to expect us to know more than what’s readily available online.

Ps, do you happen to know if China has already fielded or is planning to field a ramjet BVR missile. I know Turkey has one in the works.

I wouldn’t know, and I am just going by what’s publicly available. Not all of us are deeply involved in Chinese military developments as you, so it’s unfair to expect us to know more than what’s readily available online.

Ps, do you happen to know if China has already fielded or is planning to field a ramjet BVR missile. I know Turkey has one in the works.

Sorry in case I sounded rude or arrogant, this was not my intention ... in fact I'm not sure. IMO this often cited PL-21 was in fact a PL-12-based development in competing with what became the PL-15 and later abandoned. In parallel China developed the ULR-AAM PL-17 (that one we saw under the J-16 and JH-7A) and now they are developing a more compact one for internal carriage, so that 6 can fit the same place like today 4 PL-15. In fact I don't see them currently developing a ramjet AAM. But maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry in case I sounded rude or arrogant, this was not my intention ... in fact I'm not sure. IMO this often cited PL-21 was in fact a PL-12-based development in competing with what became the PL-15 and later abandoned. In parallel China developed the ULR-AAM PL-17 (that one we saw under the J-16 and JH-7A) and now they are developing a more compact one for internal carriage, so that 6 can fit the same place like today 4 PL-15. In fact I don't see them currently developing a ramjet AAM. But maybe I'm wrong.
Can you please explain in more detail, were both pl21 and pl15 being developed at the same time and plaaf preferred pl15 over pl21 and now development of this ramjet based missile is dropped.

And what is this PL17, it seems like a very long range (500km range) AAM for slow moving target using dual or triple pulse

Can’t you please stop spreading stupid BS and even more always within a new thread when there are already existing threads for the appropriate topics!
Really PL-17 based on a most obscure site and since when is a HK-based site like this one credible??? :hitwall: :crazy:
Is the following picture of the “PL-17” authentic? If so, it doesn’t look so large as not to be improbable for the J-10 to carry for targeting high value assets such as tankers, MPAs, or AWACS.

Is the following picture of the “PL-17” authentic? If so, it doesn’t look so large as not to be improbable for the J-10 to carry for targeting high value assets such as tankers, MPAs, or AWACS.

No, it is an old CG made by Lovely Swift in 2018.

FvzQ6_EaQAA9Mz0

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom