What's new

Chinese GDP to surpass USA in 2019 - THE ECONOMIST

East Asia United

Reaction score
Chinese GDP will surpass that of the USA sometime in the next 10 years (click on the link below and experiment with the interactive graph).

THIS week Barack Obama will meet President Xi Jinping of China for informal talks at Rancho Mirage, a resort town in California. The town has hosted some famous names in the past, including Queen Elizabeth II and Frank Sinatra. But it has received few guests as important as Mr Xi. He heads the world’s most populous country—and he might one day lead the world’s biggest economy. China’s GDP is now only half the size of America’s when converted at market exchange rates. Will it eclipse America’s before Mr Xi’s presidency comes to an end in March 2023? The Economist’s interactive chart below allows you to make your own predictions.

Despite its slowdown, China’s economy is still growing faster than America’s. But growth is not the only thing to consider. You should also think about the evolution of prices in both countries and the trajectory of the exchange rate between them. When we first introduced this chart at the end of 2010, we guessed that China’s economy would grow by an average of 7.75% over the next decade and America’s would grow by 2.5%. We guessed that inflation would average 4% in China and 1.5% in America. We also reckoned that China’s yuan would appreciate by 3% a year on average.

If you plug those numbers into the chart now, China’s dollar GDP would eclipse America’s in 2019, long before Mr Xi steps down. Changing the assumptions obviously changes the result, but by less than you might think. Even if China’s growth averages only 4% with the other assumptions unchanged, it will still overtake America by 2022. Mr Xi might then lead both the world’s biggest economy and its biggest country—but only if India’s population doesn’t overtake China’s first!

Daily chart: Rancho eclipse | The Economist

It is also interesting to note that The Economist last had a chart like this in 2010, when they predicted that China would become the largest economy in 2019. It looks like nothing has changed in the last three years.

FORGET Monopoly or World of Warcraft. The Economist's idea of Christmas fun is guessing when China's economy will leapfrog America's to become the world's biggest. The Conference Board, a business-research group, recently predicted that China could become the world's largest economy as soon as 2012 on a purchasing-power-parity (PPP) basis, which adjusts for the fact that prices are lower in China. But economists disagree on how to measure PPP. And America will only really be eclipsed when China's GDP outstrips it in plain dollar terms, converted at market exchange rates.

Since by that reckoning China's GDP is currently only two-fifths the size of America's, that day may still seem distant. But it is getting closer. When Goldman Sachs made its first forecasts for the BRIC economies (Brazil, Russia, India and China) in 2003, it predicted that China would overtake America in 2041. Now it says 2027. In November Standard Chartered forecast that it will happen by 2020. This partly reflects the impact of the financial crisis. In the third quarter of 2010 America's real GDP was still below its level in December 2007; China's GDP grew by 28% over the same period.

If real GDP in China and America continued to grow at the same annual average pace as over the past ten years (10.5% and 1.7% respectively) and nothing else changed, China's GDP would overtake America's in 2022. But crude extrapolation of the past is a poor predictor of the future: recall the forecasts in the mid-1980s that Japan was set to become the world's largest economy. China's growth rate is bound to slow in coming years as its working-age population starts to shrink and productivity growth declines. Then again, the relative paths of dollar GDP in China and America depend not only on real growth rates but also on inflation and the yuan's exchange rate against the dollar. In an emerging economy with rapid productivity growth the real exchange rate should rise over time, through either higher inflation or a rise in the nominal exchange rate. Over the past decade annual inflation (as measured by the GDP deflator) has averaged 3.8% in China against 2.2% in America. And since China ditched its strict dollar peg in 2005 the yuan has risen by an annual average of 4.2%.

The Economist has created an online chart (Daily chart: The dating game | The Economist) that allows you to plug in your own assumptions about future growth, inflation and the exchange rate. Our best guess is that annual real GDP growth over the next decade averages 7.75% in China and 2.5% in America, inflation rates average 4% and 1.5%, and the yuan appreciates by 3% a year. If so, then China would overtake America in 2019 (see chart). If you disagree and think China's real growth rate will slow to an annual average of only 5%, then (leaving the other assumptions unchanged) China would have to wait until 2022 to become number one. Americans would still be much richer, of course, with a GDP per head more than four times that in China. But don't expect that to dampen Chinese celebrations, whenever they come.

The world's biggest economy: Dating game | The Economist

The world's biggest economy: Dating game | The Economist

We were all told by the Chinese here that it would have happened in 2012,13,14,15,16,17,18,...

Fitch cuts China local-currency debt rating - MarketWatch

I'm not surprised by the propaganda on your part. Indians are incapable of being trustworthy, nor have any of their predictions turned out to be true.

When will the Chinese GDP surpass America?

Past Guesses:

Goldman Sachs (2003): 2041

Goldman Sachs (2008): 2027

World Bank (2010): 2030

The Economist (2010): 2022

Price Waterhouse Cooper (2010): 2020

China Center for Economic Reform (2011): 2021

Standard Chartered (2011): 2020

International Monetary Fund (2011): 2019

The Economist (2013): 2019

Apparently it is a moving finish line. Each successive estimate, moves the date up sooner and sooner. The closer we get to future, the more the future converges to us.

10 years ago the event was nearly 40 years away.

5 years ago it was nearly 20 years away.

3 years ago it was nearly a decade away.

This year it is now 6 years away.

So, please tell us, which of these predictions have been too optimistic? I would love to see some of the BS you are spouting. Post one link of a major international/Chinese agency that has been too overly optimistic about China.

As you can clearly see, everyone has been too pessimistic, not the other way around.

I can mention a dozen of idiotic Indian predictions (India to send man to Moon by 2020, India to be third largest economy by 2010, India to be world superpower in 10 years, 15 years, etc. etc.)

Chinese people, in fact, Asian people, don't generally talk like that, and if we do it's because we are cautiously optimistic (unlike you who is optimistic even in the face of sub-5% growth)

I'm not surprised by the propaganda on your part. Indians are incapable of being trustworthy, nor have any of their predictions turned out to be true.

maybe if you were on these boards KARIM for the past few years you would know what they claimed here. along with fudged numbers they been caught putting out. But alas you are not Karim but some being that took over another profile as you claimed?

Its not a big deal the total GDP surpass US, even so, the GDP per capita is just around 12000$, comparable with Turkey in 2012. Turkey is famous for its growth, if China reaches Turkey's level today, still a long way to go.

maybe if you were on these boards KARIM for the past few years you would know what they claimed here. along with fudged numbers they been caught putting out. But alas you are not Karim but some being that took over another profile as you claimed?

Again, point out an official prediction that turned out to be overly optimistic.

You are a typical misleading, lying, and deceiving Hindu keyboard warrior, and all of your BS has nothing to show for it.

Apparently India is going to the Moon no later than 2020! All before they even launch someone into space!

The Hindu News Update Service

China is leap years behind USA in innovation and automated mass manufacturing..

I wonder how will Americans take it when they become the second largest economy in the world. I predict mass depression and suicides in that country. May even go the Nazi Germany way.

Allahu Alam.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to China becoming the largest economy in the world. The rest of the non-Western world has already benefitted so much from China's peaceful rise, things can only get better. I mean, even the African nations are racing to have their satellites orbiting the planet.

I was listening to an analyst and he said - watch out for the years 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022 and 2023. In these years, we'll see much greatness from China, he said.

Again, point out an official prediction that turned out to be overly optimistic.

You are a typical misleading, lying, and deceiving Hindu keyboard warrior, and all of your BS has nothing to show for it.

Apparently India is going to the Moon no later than 2020! All before they even launch someone into space!

The Hindu News Update Service

Hey little noodle for a noggin, learn to read what you link and differentiate between a program director of the space program " proposing" a mission vs. a mission being authorized. :yay:

The ISRO proposed to undertake the country's first manned moon mission by 2020 following the success of Chandrayaan-I, project director of Chandrayaan-I M Annadurai has said.

I think China's GDP has already passed the USA. China just devalues its currency.

Athiests are growing powerful.

I wonder how will Americans take it when they become the second largest economy in the world. I predict mass depression and suicides in that country. May even go the Nazi Germany way.

Allahu Alam.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to China becoming the largest economy in the world. The rest of the non-Western world has already benefitted so much from China's peaceful rise, things can only get better. I mean, even the African nations are racing to have their satellites orbiting the planet.

I was listening to an analyst and he said - watch out for the years 2015, 2017, 2019, 2022 and 2023. In these years, we'll see much greatness from China, he said.

Actually lots of Americans are behind the transfer of wealth to China.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom