What's new

Chinese Defense Minister likely to visit Dhaka on May 28

The official defence spending is only for salaries, operations, maintenance and purchase of arms that BD makes itself. We need to add the roughly 500 million dollars a year on average that the BD government spends on arms imports. When this is taken into account, then total defence expenditure comes to around 1.6-1.7% of GDP.

I would like defence spending to rise to around 2% of GDP but I am not totally confident that this will happen. BD military realistically assesses that it would be very difficult to adequately defend against India unless defence spending is raised to 3-4% of GDP. The current defence expenditure is adequate to catch up and eventually become stronger than Myanmar over the medium-long term, as BD military will always be better led and trained than backward Myanmar.
You really need to come out of this confrontational attitude.
Myanmar, BD and India have recently solved their disputes. Now none of the countries have any claim on either land or sea or EEZ of each other.

There is practically zero reason why anyone would go to war. Defense is necessary, yes and must be maintained, but chances of war between any of these 3 has died down dramatically since the Border accords were signed. Ergo, spending more than 2% on defense when our economies are poor would be foolhardy. Even Myanmar is relaxing and coming out economically by treating with India and China on large scale projects.

stop the nonsense, if you don't like. go away

you seriously need help! don't you know F-7 production stopped ? F-7BG1 was last production
You are making zero sense! Can you please mention a happy purchase from china? None of those purchase was even closer to NATO standard.I know F- 7 production has been stopped. I said because those f7s are the symbol of dholai khal quality hardware from china. You simply cannot support Chinese craps because the moneys are peoples money ,not Mrs.wajed . You need help and a considerable gaddar .( Chinese defence minister can eat hilsha fry and go back where he is came from)
note: please give some point of these Chinese hardware strategic value? MBT-2000,FM90,china radar,chinese old sub,chinese second hand frigates which are mostly decommissioned by the most countries navies and the infamous f7.Waiting for your points.

Last edited:
You are making zero sense! Can you please mention a happy purchase from china? None of those purchase was even closer to NATO standard.I know F- 7 production has been stopped. I said because those f7s are the symbol of dholai khal quality hardware from china. You simply cannot support Chinese craps because the moneys are peoples money ,not Mrs.wajed . You need help and a considerable gaddar .( Chinese defence minister can eat hilsha fry and go back where he is came from)
note: please give some point of these Chinese hardware strategic value? MBT-2000,FM90,china radar,chinese old sub,chinese second hand frigates which are mostly decommissioned by the most countries navies and the infamous f7.Waiting for your points.

I dont think China made our procurement decision. When you provide our forces with so little cash they cant find anything else other than junks.

I dont think China made our procurement decision. When you provide our forces with so little cash they cant find anything else other than junks.

Things have been changing in the last 5 years as BD has brought the following modern weapons:

1. Type-56 Corvette from China.
2. Yak-130 trainer from Russia.

Going forward you are unlikely to see anything but the most modern available export models being purchased by BD military from both China and Russia.

Those NORA guns and the yak trainers were great buy. All crappy things are came from the China . Its not about money but Hasina and Chinas bilateral corruption. The Chinese are great in making plastic rice and eggs but not any good hardware . Chinese products have some serious global bad reputations . Well I personally don't like Chinese stuffs .

Things have been changing in the last 5 years as BD has brought the following modern weapons:

1. Type-56 Corvette from China.
2. Yak-130 trainer from Russia.

Going forward you are unlikely to see anything but the most modern available export models being purchased by BD military from both China and Russia.
Serbia and Russia

Those NORA guns and the yak trainers were great buy. All crappy things are came from the China . Its not about money but Hasina and Chinas bilateral corruption. The Chinese are great in making plastic rice and eggs but not any good hardware . Chinese products have some serious global bad reputations . Well I personally don't like Chinese stuffs .

Serbia and Russia

China will remain BD's number 1 defence supplier followed by Russia. All others will be minor in comparison as they cannot provide major ticket items at prices BD is willing to pay.

Wrong again as the Chinese Type-056 corvette is a modern and capable ship.

If BD is willing to pay top dollar like they have with Russia and Serbia, then they can get very good items like J-10B fighter, Type-054A frigate and VT-4 tank from China.

Those F-7's were a stop gap solution until Bangladesh can figure out the appropriate aircraft to procure, while making some cash over time. The F-7 production lines are now closed which makes Bangladesh the last customer. And those old submarines are for training purposes.

But yes, those MBT-2000's were not up to standard (or so I've heard).

lol did you check the frigate ? that is hell of a frigate ;)
2 Geopard class are coming too

they named it High performance frigate and showed in IDEX exhibition 2013
http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...e-lhd-and-submarine-designs-at-idex-2013.html

The size and displacement of the frigate pictured is in the upper ranges of the large Frigate types in development in France, UK and the Netherlands. It is a heavy frigate. Compared to this one our Bangabandhu class is much lighter and of course less capable. It has served its purpose for the time being.

I honestly have not seen VLS systems in too many small frigates but of course 054 class Jiangkai II has them. They are getting more common in larger frigates. IMHO any new frigate purchase made by BN should have this as mandatory.

I can't get over the fact how the Chinese copied the superstructure from the LCS-1 'Freedom class'. That ship is smaller, but Lockheed Martin did propose larger littoral-warfare frigate versions. The trick with the 'Freedom class' is that those ships will all feature modular swappable weapons and sensor platforms to suit varying missions using the same basic vessel. That's several steps ahead of everyone else, including the Chinese. Doesn't matter for us of course.....

The larger up-gunned 'Freedom Class' variant (top) below sports a larger VLS module but the middle one (LCS-1 in reality right now) also has a smaller VLS module a la the Chinese concept. The smallest one in the bottom is a ~2000 ton corvette.

Lockheed-Martin-family-MMC-150m-118m-85m-med.jpg
SSC-Lockheed-1405-med.jpg

Last edited:
Those F-7's were a stop gap solution until Bangladesh can figure out the appropriate aircraft to procure, while making some cash over time. The F-7 production lines are now closed which makes Bangladesh the last customer. And those old submarines are for training purposes.

But yes, those MBT-2000's were not up to standard (or so I've heard).
That stop gap solution was a hoax .They wanted to buy Chinese f7 and used a term called " stop gap" like "digital Bangladesh" . It cost estimated 1500 cr. taka and a complete waste . I personally think they got a huge bribe from the purchase . Ming class sub was brought for training purpose ? Do you need to buy a 50 cc motorcycle before buy a pulser ? Just buy the pulser strait and start training with it . Every single Chinese purchase is a complete waste . I am not telling that the china don't make quality stuffs but whatever we buy from them are simply laughable . I guess they laugh more!

That stop gap solution was a hoax .They wanted to buy Chinese f7 and used a term called " stop gap" like "digital Bangladesh" . It cost estimated 1500 cr. taka and a complete waste . I personally think they got a huge bribe from the purchase . Ming class sub was brought for training purpose ? Do you need to buy a 50 cc motorcycle before buy a pulser ? Just buy the pulser strait and start training with it . Every single Chinese purchase is a complete waste . I am not telling that the china don't make quality stuffs but whatever we buy from them are simply laughable . I guess they laugh more!

Well, they bought the Yak-130's, so something must be up. Military aircraft and novelties like submarines (for the BN) are long-term decisions and far more complex. So, I wouldn't compare it to learning to ride a motorcycle. Though, it won't be surprising if these procurement are riddled with corruption. The MiG deal back in the 90's was one such case. What's more, those things are Russian.

And as far as 'Digital Bangladesh' goes, sure it may have its propaganda value. However, it has generated results hasn't it? I've worked with Bangladesh Bank and seen its adoption of IT, and I can tell you that those guys under the leadership of Dr. Atiur Rahman and the commitment from top levels (Joy in particular) have done a truly outstanding job. Sure, there were difficulties and even a hacking scandal, but hey, at least they did progress. Had it been under someone else, those developments would have never happened.

Not true. Chinese would be happier if Bangladesh could spend more money on quality products from China. Chinese will make more money in this way.

In addition, all weapons sold by China to Bangladesh have also served in China military not long ago. Not long ago, China economy wasn't much different from Bangladesh now. We certainly didn't think those weapons were a complete waste then.

Back
Top Bottom