What's new

Chinese cars 'still below par'

Banana

BANNED
Reaction score
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/motoring/2013-02/19/content_16236462.htm

Curtains are about to fall at this year's Chicago autoshow. 30 brands have brought over 1,000 flashy new car models to the event, with roaring SUVs, fancy sport cars and eco-friendly vehicles finding strong appeal.
Sharing the stage with its western counterparts, Asian cars have impressed the car fans with their latest in-car electronic devices and innovative shapes. But one major manufacturer from the region was missing at the show: China.
The country is the world's No 1 auto market in terms of sales, but most of its car brands are contractors of foreign cars and its own products are still below par compared with global competitors, especially in terms of safety and emission standards.
Car industry insiders say, Chinese car makers could learn from their Japanese and South Korean counterparts, as they improved the quality of their cars significantly in just a decade, and were successful in gaining a huge market share in the Western market.

The Chicago Automobile Trade Association is welcoming Chinese cars to access the North American market. But so far, Chinese self-owned car brands have mainly exported cars to African and Middle Eastern markets. The country is however highly ambitious to grab a slice of the global market cake.

Chinese automakers face major hurdles: News from warc.com

BEIJING: Domestic automakers in China are lagging behind their overseas rivals in terms of consumer perceptions and sales, a trend that executives do not expect to change in the immediate future.

According to the Chinese Association of Automobile Manufacturers, the market share held by indigenous firms fell from 49.2% in January 2010 to just 37% in July 2012. Foreign and joint venture brands thus control 63% of the passenger vehicle market.

"China's indigenous cars are lowest on the food chain," Liu Yu, deputy sales chief of BAIC Motor Corp, told Bloomberg. "Our margins are next to nothing ... The difficulties are way more than I previously imagined and we are struggling to find solutions."

Long-standing legislation requiring foreign companies to form joint ventures with domestic manufacturers has therefore, it seems, failed in its objective to make Chinese brands competitive.

"We have been trying to exchange market access for technology, but we have barely gotten hold of any key technologies in the past 30 years," said Liao Xionghui, vice president of Lifan Industry Group. "China's auto industry is still in its infancy. How can a two-year-old beat someone in his thirties? :lol:"

In order to gain a share of the huge new vehicle market, which delivered sales of over 18m units in 2011, Chinese automakers may need to rapidly improve product quality and perceptions.

"There is a belief at this point in time that international brands have more technology, and in some cases better craftsmanship," said Joe Hinrichs, president of Ford's Asia Pacific and Africa region.

Companies such as Great Wall, the country's biggest maker of sport-utility vehicles, are hiring foreign designers in an attempt to boost confidence.

However, JD Power & Associates' recent Dependability Study noted that local brands reported 75% more problems than the foreign alternatives.

"It is not just one product that changes perception but it is many products over two to three model cycles, five to seven years," said Charles Mills, a vice president at JD Power, the Consultancy. "Even if they come up with a beautiful skin of a vehicle, the people still have to believe the vehicle is going to deliver as good an experience as something else."

Local automakers actually fell short of government targets aiming to have two or three local companies with annual sales of more than 2m units last year, and four or five with sales in excess of 1m.

As a result, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has instituted a consolidation programme that will revoke production permits for firms failing to make 1,000 passenger vehicles annually for two consecutive years.

More positively, exports of Chinese autos are predicted to jump by 50% in 2012, with Russia being the biggest destination, and Brazil posting the fastest growth.

Yeah, being an Indian and therefore very price conscious, I drove a Great Wall X240 for a test drive. Even whilst priced $10k AUD below the nearest competitor I would never get one. Ride and build quality are terrible.

Yeah, being an Indian and therefore very price conscious, I drove a Great Wall X240 for a test drive. Even whilst priced $10k AUD below the nearest competitor I would never get one. Ride and build quality are terrible.

Great Wall is the best Chinese automaker to compete internationally.

Even Mahindra beats the hell out of them.

Only if they cared a bit about the car safety systems, but some of their cars do look good.

Indeed.

However, I find it interesting is that when I drove the Mahindra Pik Up (essentially a Mahindra Bolero) I found that it is on the same level of build and ride quality as the latest gen X240. Mahindra has a great opportunity to improve their offerings in Australia by aggressively promoting the Scorpio and the XUV500 etc here, but they choose not too.

I actually provided an analysis of this for my marketing unit as part of my degree. Might upload it here if anybody is interested.

Indeed.

However, I find it interesting is that when I drove the Mahindra Pik Up (essentially a Mahindra Bolero) I found that it is on the same level of build and ride quality as the latest gen X240. Mahindra has a great opportunity to improve their offerings in Australia by aggressively promoting the Scorpio and the XUV500 etc here, but they choose not too.

I actually provided an analysis of this for my marketing unit as part of my degree. Might upload it here if anybody is interested.

The Ute is there in Australia since 2007. Its the same product. Wait till they launch the next gen Scorpio.

Mahindra has launched the XUV 500 and it has garnered decent reviews in South Africa and Australia.

I can show you that.

$10K AUD, that is cheap, you can make big profit buy the new Great Wall and take it a parts, then sell as spare parts. I am sure you can double your profits.:lol:

Is this Mahindra an Indian car? Only heard a tiny car called nano before.

If your cars are so good, why is China selling cars around the world, while India... well, actually I don't know about India, but I guess you are not able to sell your car in other countries, right? otherwise, you won't have $20B trade deficit every month.

Chinese Car Crash Test: Geely Emgrand EC7 (Euro-NCAP - 4 stars)

Chinese Car Crash Test: Geely Emgrand EC7 (Euro-NCAP - 4 stars) - YouTube

Chinese Car Crash Test: MG6 (Euro-NCAP - 4 stars)

Chinese Car Crash Test: MG6 (Euro-NCAP - 4 stars) - YouTube

Chinese Car Crash Test: Brilliance BS4 (Side) (Euro-NCAP - 4 stars)

Chinese Car Crash Test: Brilliance BS4 (Side) - EuroNCAP - YouTube

Chinese Car Crash Test: Brilliance BS4 (Front) (Euro-NCAP – 3 stars)

Chinese Car Crash Test: Brilliance BS4 (Front) - EuroNCAP - YouTube

Mahindra XUV500 AWD (2012-on) - 4 star ANCAP safety rating

Tata Nano takes a European level crash test at MIRA test facility.

If your cars are so good, why is China selling cars around the world, while India... well, actually I don't know about India, but I guess you are not able to sell your car in other countries, right? otherwise, you won't have $20B trade deficit every month.

jesus christ :omghaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tata-Indica-Vista-EVX.png

TATA INDICA VISTA EV TEST DRIVE

http://www.tatamotors.it/

Last edited by a moderator:

yes india manufactures and exports alot of cars, from both indian and non indian companies

mahindra is an indian company thats known for tractors and SUVs like these

640px-MahindraScorpio_Cropped.jpg

mahindraxuv500rt_3_560x420.jpg

nano is just the tip and it is the cheapest car of tata. but they make a lot more than just cars

manza_m_560x420.jpg

tata-pixel.jpg

104721-41039-Tata-Aria.bmp

then there are the Modded limited edition cars like these

DC-Avanti.jpg

and dont even get me started on the motorbikes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom