What's new

China's Summer Palace to mark looting anniversary

It's not so much as to what the wakeup call is, I know it's tragic but I'll rather live the reality than live in a dream eventhough I know I'll have to bear the pain to live in the reality. That's just me.

I don't know whether something else, perhaps less inhumane, could have been the 'wakeup call' instead because it would seem futile to discuss this, as it is part of history now.

Can I just say one more thing? Chinese people have much to be proud of, the 100 years of humiliation you speak of is not something many people think about or let alone know. Compare this to what? 5000 years of history? What speck is this 100 years? It's a defining moment for sure though.

the 110 years from 1840-1949 are best left to another discussion. our current government has never made the same stupid mistakes of Qing Dynasty (failure to recognize backwardness) and Republic (stupidity, incompetent, gangsters, corruption, coward).

the 110 years from 1840-1949 are best left to another discussion. our current government has never made the same stupid mistakes of Qing Dynasty (failure to recognize backwardness) and Republic (stupidity, incompetent, gangsters, corruption, coward).

Ahhh but the CCP was a reaction to the backwardness and weakness of the Qing. If they weren't so corrupt and weak, China would never have become a modern nation.

If you have not been shamed, you would want to work hard for glory and recognition, and to erase that shameful image.

China has been shamed in the burning of the Summer Palace and other events, but thanks to the shame, China now determining not to let that happen again. A strong and prosperous China is the way to go. It is not a China Threat, it is the urge to undone what had happened before and to prevent recurrance in future.

i can't stop laugh here
you really have no idea about chinese

At this point does it matter what nationality he is? For condoning and apologising for most evil regime after faschists he is failure as human being, he can be of lineage of Mao and Dr. Sun and still be a complete failure as human and it is quite immaterial of nationality.

It's not so much as to what the wakeup call is, I know it's tragic but I'll rather live the reality than live in a dream eventhough I know I'll have to bear the pain to live in the reality. That's just me.

I don't know whether something else, perhaps less inhumane, could have been the 'wakeup call' instead because it would seem futile to discuss this, as it is part of history now.

There is fine distinction between 'important turning point' and 'something to be happy about'. Holocaust is important turning point in history of jewry and it can be argued that without it state of Israel as exist today will not today be. That is not the same as saying Jews should be THANKFUL to faschists.

Yes, it went and made some totally different mistakes instead. Without diminishing achievements of PRC especially in last 30 years it is rather disingenuous to overlook that chapter of history.

And I can't believe you can say PRC did not make mistake of corruption as Republic of China with a straight face.

If you have not been shamed, you would want to work hard for glory and recognition, and to erase that shameful image.

China has been shamed in the burning of the Summer Palace and other events, but thanks to the shame, China now determining not to let that happen again. A strong and prosperous China is the way to go. It is not a China Threat, it is the urge to undone what had happened before and to prevent recurrance in future.

Let's be totally serious - the birth of China as modern nation is a long and painful story and it can well be argued that it has taken over a century for that to happen. It's almost 80 years between May Fourth and War of Opium, after all, and some 50 years between Summer Palace and first time China fights Western power to a standstill.

This isn't abnormal at all. Turkey's transition into a modern nation is similarly long and painful despite being close to Europe; Russia's process likewise too 10 generation of Tsars and communism to finally bring to bear; Japan's 'progress' was illusory so totally incomplete that at the slightest shock of silk price collapse and recession it relapsed back into feudalism-faschism which damned her to fiery destruction - and even THAT was a fifty-year story.

The story of China is a continuing one and of much interest to all obersvers interested in humanity.

Back
Top Bottom