What's new

China's military a global concern: Japan

South Korea will be the most angry if Japan tries to re-militarize.

If you think China holds a grudge against Japan over the past war crimes, you should see how angry the South Koreans get! :azn:

Anyway I still don't see any feasible way for Japan to change their pacifist constitution, so this is just probably just hypothetical.

Hahahaha not even the angriest of Chinese fenqing would chop off their own fingers in anti-Japanese protests, if you know what I mean :azn:.

And who knows, one day the Americans themselves might let the dog off the leash.

CD, I've worked in a Japanese company in the past. I have worked with the Japanese people. I can tell you one thing for sure, if the Japanese decide to do something, nobody can stop them.

The Japanese are one formidable people and one formidable country.

I'd be very very afraid if India were to face Japan as an adversary and it's not an underestimation of Indians, it is a compliment to the Japanese.

Japan is a sleeping giant, only till the day it decides to roar once again.

Do you mean if Japan is India adversary, India will be afriad of Japan?

The logic will be India is afraid of Japan and Japan is afraid of China!

India is very afraid of China!

Actually India did face Japan in world war II & inflicted one of the largest land defeats that the Japanese suffered. It's probably one of the reasons that India sees Japan in a very different light from other Asian countries. No real impact of Japanese colonisation except in the Andaman islands.Since it was a war largely seen as having been imposed by the colonial power, Indians retain a large soft corner for the Japanese(not always reciprocated).

nagaland-kohima-warcemetry-021209-021.JPG

The tennis court seen in the photo was the scene of one of the greatest battles of WWII.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Tennis_Court

fire40.jpg

R0025879-Memorial.jpg

Last edited:

You deserve only laugh!!! :lol: Very low quality self-proclamation! "you are very veyr very very very afraid of me"!!! lol

BTW good decision by Japan to change its vintage defence policy!!! In current geopolitical scenario it was needed. Thanks to recent island row, they changed their mind.

Japan Announces Defense Policy to Counter China
By MARTIN FACKLER
Published: December 16, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/world/asia/17japan.html?src=mv

TOKYO — Japan announced a new defense policy on Friday that will respond to China’s rising military might by building more submarines and other mobile forces capable of defending Japan’s southernmost islands.

The new National Defense Program Guidelines are the biggest step yet in a decade-long shift away from cold war-era deployments of heavy tank and artillery units on the northern island of Hokkaido — to counter a now-vanished Soviet threat — and toward bolstering Japanese forces in the southern islands around Okinawa, where China’s navy has become a growing presence.

The new guidelines also used uncharacteristically strong language to warn of China’s rapidly modernizing military, calling it “a matter of concern for the region and the international community.” China’s growing naval capabilities have been a particular concern in Japan since Beijing and Tokyo clashed diplomatically three months ago over uninhabited islands claimed by both nations but controlled by Japan. The islands are called the Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese.

In Beijing, the Foreign Ministry criticized the new policy as “irresponsible” and suggested that it was based on a misunderstanding of China’s intentions. “China adheres to the road of peaceful development and pursues a defensive national defense policy,” Jiang Yu, the Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, said in a statement. “We have no intention to be a threat to anyone.”

The new policy called for increasing the number of Japan’s submarines to 22 from the current 16, while reducing the number of tanks by a third to about 400. It also called for creating more mobile forces, which analysts have said could include creating new air and seaborne units that could quickly move to defend remote islands.

The guidelines also called for increasing military cooperation with the United States, Japan’s postwar protector, and other democracies in the region including South Korea, Australia and India. It did not address recent requests from Washington for the Japanese military, known as the Self-Defense Forces, to join in three-way drills with the United States and South Korea that would be aimed at North Korea.

Japan has long resisted American calls to increase its military role in the region because of the constraints of its pacifist postwar Constitution and the bitter memories of devastating defeat in World War II. The new guidelines seemed to indicate a willingness to slightly raise Japan’s military profile, but only in a defensive manner, and in conjunction with the United States.

The guidelines also called for reconsidering Japan’s self-imposed ban on the export of weapons, a step that would make it easier for Japan to join other nations, and particularly the United States, in the joint development of expensive new weapons systems.

Japan has already joined the United States in developing new anti-missile systems. Friday’s guidelines called for deploying more Patriot interceptor missiles to shoot down ballistic missiles from North Korea, which has been developing missiles and nuclear weapons.

The new guidelines were to have been released last year but were delayed by the Democratic Party’s election victory that ended a half-century of virtual one-party rule in Japan.

After initially disagreeing with Washington over an American air base on Okinawa, the left-leaning Democrats under Prime Minister Naoto Khan have moved closer to the United States, pushed by concerns over China’s increasing influence and North Korean provocations like last month’s shelling of a South Korean island.

Depends on where you are sitting, I suppose. China's aggressive behavior in the last one year vis-a-vis its neighbours have rattled a lot of nerves. The recent trawler incident & the the subsequent Chinese reaction(banning the export of rare earth minerals) has only served to heighten latent Japanese fears of China. A pursuit of a stronger military by Japan probably has more understanding than anytime in the last 60 years(including within Japan). This could be achieved by independent action or as is more likely, with deeper American co-operation. Recent Chinese actions have made America more popular in the Pacific than at any time in the last couple of decades.

Wow. so you're saying that we have to sell something, and cannot refuse to not sell it. doesn't sound so free market! Our ship captain got kidnapped in our waters by criminal Japanese coast guard, and we're supposed to accept that! I believe it is time for our government to change its stance on our 2 billion USD investment into india, Maoists and Kashmir.

IMO it looks like the hawks like Maehara are taking advantage of the weak govt., as the DPJ was more pro-China, while the LDP was more pro-USA.

However, I'd like to see where Japan is going to get all this money for defense. For the past few years its defense was pegged to 1% of GDP, which is reasonable for the country. Yet the problem is not only political but economical, shrinking and aging population sure don't help the readiness of Japan's armed forces either.

Japan unless it introduces drastic changes which can revitalize its economical and social atmosphere it is doomed within the next 25 years, when the baby-boomers cash in their bonds become a lot greater burden financially. China doesn't even need to move a finger to watch the Japanese as a nation perform 'Seppuku' on themselves.

Last edited:
if china is a concern than india is bigger concern too

I know. India testing missiles everyday. And soon USA will be worried because India is building ICBM that can reach USA , Japan, Australia and Western Europe.

I would like that Japan amend its constitution so that we can be pushed to focus more on defense.

THAT is why the americans and the west dont want japan to change its policies and made china more stronger in the defence corner. it will lead to a new race begins in northeast asia which will directly affects the pacific nations including america, australia and canada,
remebering the WW2.

And who knows, one day the Americans themselves might let the dog off the leash.

CD, I've worked in a Japanese company in the past. I have worked with the Japanese people. I can tell you one thing for sure, if the Japanese decide to do something, nobody can stop them.

The Japanese are one formidable people and one formidable country.

I'd be very very afraid if India were to face Japan as an adversary and it's not an underestimation of Indians, it is a compliment to the Japanese.

Japan is a sleeping giant, only till the day it decides to roar once again.

what are you kidding me?, they were awake once and "decided" they want an empire at the expanse of others and got picked apart by the eagle. china on the other hand has only started rebuilding since 1949 following 150 years of slumber we'll see who's "formidable" should they change the constitution for once which advocates arms.

also your afraid of too many things, we're never afraid, alert/alarmed perhaps but never afraid

@ title of thread..!

Agree with title..! But i dont know about whole world..! But it is a concern for us that is sure..:D

I know. India testing missiles everyday. And soon USA will be worried because India is building ICBM that can reach USA , Japan, Australia and Western Europe.

Thanks for your concern hafizzz but do you forgot all indian missiles are failed:cry: :eek:

:p:P

Just a thought..:partay:

Back
Top Bottom