What's new

China's first spacewalk

solid snake

Reaction score
China to launch rockets, manned mission, in Olympic year

Story Highlights
  • China plans to highlight its Olympic year by launching its 3rd manned space mission
  • Launch of 15 rockets and 17 satellites also planned in 2008
  • Manned flight will carry 3 astronauts and will feature China's first-ever space walk

BEIJING, China (AP) -- China plans to launch its third manned space mission that will feature its first-ever space walk during 2008, state media said Tuesday.

China will also send up 15 rockets and 17 satellites, Huang Qiang, secretary general of the Commission of Science Technology and Industry for National Defense, was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

He described Shenzhou 7, which will carry three astronauts into space, as a priority for this year.

China has denied any link between the manned mission and its staging of the Olympics, which start August 8, although both events are a source of huge national pride.

Huang was also quoted as saying that nearly 30 new technologies would be used during the Olympics, including the Olympic torch, security system and meteorological services provided by a new satellite.

In 2003, China became only the third country in the world after the United States and Russia to send a human into orbit.

It followed with a two-man mission in 2005.

It launched a moon probe last year about one month after rival Japan blasted its own lunar orbiter into space.

China to launch rockets, manned mission, in Olympic year - CNN.com

:china:

I believe the space-walk is slated for April of 2008.

Show Chinese independency!

It was planned for August wasn't it?? I thought I read it is to coincide with the Olympics.

Good question. I've searched for couple of sites, different answers are found:

August launch: Chinese Space Program Recovers from Severe Memory Loss - The first Chinese spacewalk scheduled for 8th of August
Chinese Space Program Recovers from Severe Memory Loss - The first Chinese spacewalk scheduled for 8th of August - Softpedia

September Launch: Date announced for China's spacewalk mission
Date announced for China's spacewalk mission - space - 24 April 2006 - New Scientist Space

October Launch: China plans first space-walk
China plans first space-walk | Science | Reuters

I forget how I got the April impression, sorry for that. Sounds like the exact date may still not be finalized, maybe due to time needed to perfect the space suits.

De-coupling between the Olympics and the space walk seems certain, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom