What's new

China's E Timor surveillance scheme leaked

Gold1010

Reaction score
Country
Australia
"A new batch of WikiLeaks cables has revealed that China tried to set up a surveillance radar base in East Timor."

According to US embassy cables leaked to WikiLeaks, China approached East Timor in December 2007, hoping to establish a surveillance radar facility on the country's north coast.

However, East Timorese officials viewed the proposal with concern and entered into talks with the United States and Australia before rejecting the plan, Fairfax reports.

China had proposed to build and operate the facility free of charge, to help East Timor in its fight against illegal fishing.

The leaked US cables show that East Timor's deputy prime minister, Jose Luis Guterres, was concerned the radar would be used to extend China's intelligence capabilities further into south-east Asia.

"The only catch was that the facilities were manned by Chinese technicians," Mr Guterres reportedly told the US embassy.

US diplomats in the East Timor's capital Dili reported that Mr Guterres, President Jose Ramos Horta and the Secretary of State for Defence, Julio Pinto, had stated they had a "strong preference" for working with Australia, Portugal, the US and Japan on defence and security.

The Wetar Strait, separating East Timor's north-east coast from Indonesia's Pulau Wetar Island, is reportedly used by US navy vessels moving between the Pacific and Indian oceans."

China's E Timor surveillance scheme leaked : World News Australia on SBS

I do not get why this is a "concern". China asked permission for it. They are not forcing it on anyone.

Now I know that East Timor is not really on China's side.

I do not get why this is a "concern". China asked permission for it. They are not forcing it on anyone.

Concern was this,

China had proposed to build and operate the facility free of charge, to help East Timor in its fight against illegal fishing.

"The only catch was that the facilities were manned by Chinese technicians," Mr Guterres reportedly told the US embassy.

Doesn't seem like "fight against illegal fishing" was the reason for the surveillance radars.

Build a multi million dollar surveillance radar base to help fight against illegal fishing. LOL yeh right.

I bet the U.S builds multi million dollar surveillance radar bases right near China all the time to "Help fight against illegal fishing" aswell :rofl:

That was in 2007, didn't after that east timor n china get closer, with the buying of two patrol boats n investment in infrastructure n oil/gas in east timor.

Build a multi million dollar surveillance radar base to help fight against illegal fishing. LOL yeh right.

I bet the U.S builds multi million dollar surveillance radar bases right near China all the time to "Help fight against illegal fishing" aswell :rofl:

Uou are semi correct, except that U.S. has nearly 1000 bases around the world for anti-piracy and illegal shipping. :lol:

^^^
US is most concerned about piracy everywhere except in Somali coast. They love protecting against piracy in the South China Sea and Taiwan straight.

Concern was this,

Doesn't seem like "fight against illegal fishing" was the reason for the surveillance radars.

So certain countries are allowed to have similar installations/bases whereas some others aren't? Hypocrite much?

CHina approached with a an offical proposal..not a covert survelliance networking...enough for sinophobia..thats new disease most of the western world will be diagnosed with after 2012..already islamophobia has taken top charts..

So certain countries are allowed to have similar installations/bases whereas some others aren't? Hypocrite much?

If the country does not like China and so does not allow China to build, it is being straight.

Nothing hypocritical!

"East Timor president was concerned the radar would be used to extend China's intelligence capabilities further into south-east Asia." They didn't want it in their country they raised the concern. End of the story?

Concern was this,

And do they have any solid evidence whatsoever that the reason was other than illegal fishing? No.

You don't need F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, aircraft carriers, and EP-3 surveillance aircraft to ward off fishermen.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

If the country does not like China and so does not allow China to build, it is being straight.

Nothing hypocritical!

But it did, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom