What's new

China's 10 petawatt superlaser

ChineseTiger1986

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Our next goal is the 100 petawatt superlaser.

中国超短超强激光器突破1千万亿瓦功率大关 目标1万万亿瓦

20141217100206537.gif

20141217101922811.jpg

How safe, or unbreakable do you think quantum encryption and communications will be @cirr ? Will it be a major shift... or will it be the same old, same old? I, having spent my career in the Navy collecting "secure" information through alternative means, plucking plain-text versions of encrypted comms from the air, think quantum encryption will make a difference, but won't be a radical shift. Here's the more limited reason why.

1. encryption is nice, but as I mentioned, there are other ways to gather information. ELINT and SIGINT focus on these aspects. Why should I intercept, and crack the encryption on your e-mail you sent to your contacts, when I can read it word for word as you type it thanks to the unique electrical signals, signals that can't be encrypted, as you write the message? Encryption doesn't make a difference if unencrypted versions of encrypted data can be gathered. This practice is called EMSEC.

2. Quantum cryptography guarantees nobody can intercept the key without being noticed. This does not mean the message is unreadable however, just that the sender will notice if their message is being read.

Most of the decryption efforts are not based on knowing the key. So if these efforts ever succeed, keeping the key perfectly secretive is not enough.

You can transmit a message, of course. But people can still intercept it, just not without your knowledge. It is perfectly fine for the key transmission (if your key is intercepted, just transmit another set). For real messages, it doesn't work so well.

More over, quantum encryption isn't unbreakable, the laws of physics allow for loopholes:

Laws of Physics Say Quantum Cryptography Is Unhackable. It's Not | WIRED

Commercial Quantum Cryptography System Hacked | MIT Technology Review

This white hat hacker cracks quantum encryption for fun and profit | VentureBeat | Security | by John Koetsier

Hackers blind quantum cryptographers : Nature News

How quantum cryptography works: And by the way, it's breakable - TechRepublic

Also quantum encryption is based on the quantum wave theory, so I'll provide some info on that as well:

Quantum Wave Theory | A Model of Unity in Nature

Cracking quantum encryption has already been done!!!

I can't give you a lot of information on EMSEC... well, I can, but not legally or without compromising US security, so I won't offer too much beyond publicly available information. EMSEC is the purview of the NSA, that should tell you just how secretive much of it is, though the military does it as well. I will offer a few public links though:

What is Emission Security (EMSEC)? - Definition from Techopedia

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/SE-15.pdf

Quantum encryption is really cool, and it will make a difference, but it's not unbreakable, it's just difficult to read without the sender knowing about it.

All that said, very, very cool laser!!! China is making amazing progress on nuclear fusion and while it's still a bit too far into the future, it will come thanks the combined efforts of nations like China, the US and regional blocs like the EU. One day fusion power will be a reality.

Like @Peter C offered, we too are working with high-powered lasers for nuclear fusion, great to see nations taking such a strong interest in this!

Petawatt Laser

@Chinese-Dragon - I value your knowledge more then most of your compatriots on PDF, given you are often very knowledgeable and don't hype things to the point of dishonesty, do you have any additional information or knowledge on quantum encryption? Admittedly I don't know what you do, are studying or specialize in, so if you can't offer any additional insight I will understand completely.

@gambit you're very knowledgeable, can you offer any additional insights into alternative means of gathering unencrypted versions of encrypted communications such as SIGINT or ELINT methods... or at least those publicly known?

Last edited:
How safe, or unbreakable do you think quantum encryption and communications will be cirr? Will it be a major shift... or will it be the same old, same old? I, having spent my career in the Navy collecting "secure" information through alternative means, plucking plain-text versions of encrypted comms from the air, think quantum encryption will make a difference, but won't be a radical shift. Here's the more limited reason why.

1. encryption is nice, but as I mentioned, there are other ways to gather information. ELINT and SIGINT focuses on these aspects. Why should I intercept, and crack the encryption on your e-mail you sent to your contacts, when I can read it word for word as you type it thanks to the unique electrical signals, signals that can't be encrypted, as you write the message? Encryption doesn't make a difference if unencrypted versions of encrypted data can be gathered. This practice is called EMSEC.

2. Quantum cryptography guarantees nobody can intercept the key without being noticed. This does not mean the message is unreadable however, just that the sender will notice if their message is being read.

Most of the decryption efforts are not based on knowing the key. So if these efforts ever succeed, keeping the key perfectly secretive is not enough.

You can transmit a message, of course. But people can still intercept it, just not without your knowledge. It is perfectly fine for the key transmission (if your key is intercepted, just transmit another set). For real messages, it doesn't work so well.

More over, quantum encryption isn't unbreakable, the laws of physics allow for loopholes:

Laws of Physics Say Quantum Cryptography Is Unhackable. It's Not | WIRED

Commercial Quantum Cryptography System Hacked | MIT Technology Review

This white hat hacker cracks quantum encryption for fun and profit | VentureBeat | Security | by John Koetsier

Hackers blind quantum cryptographers : Nature News

How quantum cryptography works: And by the way, it's breakable - TechRepublic

Also quantum encryption is based on the quantum wave theory, so I'll provide some info on that as well:

Quantum Wave Theory | A Model of Unity in Nature

Cracking quantum encryption has already been done!!!

I can't give you a lot of information on EMSEC... well, I can, but not legally or without compromising US security, so I won't offer too much beyond publicly available information. EMSEC is the purview of the NSA, that should tell you just how secretive much of it is, though the military does it as well. I will offer a few public links though:

What is Emission Security (EMSEC)? - Definition from Techopedia

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/SE-15.pdf

Quantum encryption is really cool, and it will make a difference, but it's not unbreakable, it's just difficult to read without the sender knowing about it.

All that said, very, very cool laser!!! China is making amazing progress on nuclear fusion and while it's still a bit too far into the future, it will come thanks the combined efforts of nations like China, the US and regional blocs like the EU. One day fusion power will be a reality.

Like @Peter C offered, we too are working with high-powered lasers for nuclear fusion, great to see nations taking such a strong interest in this!

Petawatt Laser

@Chinese-Dragon - I value your knowledge more then most of your compatriots on PDF, given you are often very knowledgeable and don't hype things to the point of dishonesty, do you have any additional information or knowledge on quantum encryption? Admittedly I don't know what you do, are studying or specialize in, so if you can't offer any additional insight I will understand completely.

Gambit you're very knowledgeable, can you offer any additional insights into alternative means of gathering unencrypted versions of encrypted communications such as SIGINT or ELINT methods... or at least those publicly known?

You are entirely correct sir. :tup:

The "weak link" has always been the human element. Regardless of the level of encryption.

Encryption is generally about making it too costly for others to break it, but a dedicated team (say at the NSA) could break strong encryption keys without too much hassle, the only thing is that it will take a long time.

So if it's an urgent matter (say relating to national security), I wouldn't expect any system, no matter how secure to be foolproof enough to stop a determined adversary with the resources of the NSA. The question is, how long can you delay them for, and will that be enough to deter them?

And of course, there are technological counter-measures as well, such as those mentioned in the WIRED article you quoted, regarding the actual implementation of such a system.

P.S. I can't send you private messages, maybe due to post count limitations. I'd like to discuss something with you regarding a mutual friend here, so if you could send a message to my email account at tianshangzhanzheng @ gmail . com that would be great. It's nothing urgent or particularly concerning, though I'd recommend you don't use your main email account for reasons of privacy, the one I listed is my secondary account.

You are entirely correct sir. :tup:

The "weak link" has always been the human element. Regardless of the level of encryption.

Encryption is generally about making it too costly for others to break it, but a dedicated team (say at the NSA) could break strong encryption keys without too much hassle, the only thing is that it will take a long time.

So if it's an urgent matter (say relating to national security), I wouldn't expect any system, no matter how secure to be foolproof enough to stop a determined adversary with the resources of the NSA. The question is, how long can you delay them for, and will that be enough to deter them?

And of course, there are technological counter-measures as well, such as those mentioned in the WIRED article you quoted, regarding the actual implementation of such a system.

P.S. I can't send you private messages, maybe due to post count limitations. I'd like to discuss something with you regarding a mutual friend here, so if you could send a message to my email account at tianshangzhanzheng @ gmail . com that would be great. It's nothing urgent or particularly concerning, though I'd recommend you don't use your main email account for reasons of privacy, the one I listed is my secondary account.

I've sent you an e-mail. I've also added you to my list of people to follow, I think I have my profile limited to be viewable by those I follow only. Let me know if you can view my profile. If not I'll tweek a few settings.

I don't check my e-mail account that often, so PDF, which I check daily will be the best way to get ahold of me, though either method works.

Last edited:
@gambit you're very knowledgeable, can you offer any additional insights into alternative means of gathering unencrypted versions of encrypted communications such as SIGINT or ELINT methods... or at least those publicly known?
Sure there are such methods. One of them is...

Side channel attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In cryptography, a side channel attack is any attack based on information gained from the physical implementation of a cryptosystem, rather than brute force or theoretical weaknesses in the algorithms (compare cryptanalysis). For example, timing information, power consumption, electromagnetic leaks or even sound can provide an extra source of information which can be exploited to break the system. Some side-channel attacks require technical knowledge of the internal operation of the system on which the cryptography is implemented, although others such as differential power analysis are effective as black-box attacks. Many powerful side channel attacks are based on statistical methods pioneered by Paul Kocher.

Researchers crack the world’s toughest encryption by listening to the tiny sounds made by your computer’s CPU | ExtremeTech
If you want to keep your data secure, you only really have two viable options: Heavy-duty encryption, physical security, and ideally both at the same time. If an attacker can’t get physically close to your data, it instantly becomes much harder to steal it. As far as mitigating acoustic cryptanalysis attacks, you either implement physical security — keep your laptop in a sound-tight box, or never let anyone near your computer when you’re decrypting data — or you need to use a “sufficiently strong wide-band noise source.” Something like a swooping, large-orchestra classical concerto would probably do it.
Not talking about the human factor such weak passwords or careless use of flash drives, the weakest points of any method of data security is immediately prior to the encryption process and after the decryption processes.

You were in EMSEC, which means you know of Tempest. When I was active duty, our component level repair stations to fix the avionics in our jets were shielded according to Tempest specs. We do not want the Soviets to know the whats and the hows to fix our avionics because if they know how to fix something, they could reverse engineer the repair process to know how that something works.

When I worked for Micron, we had a cart that was usually filled with top grade DRAM memory modules destined for specific customers. These modules would eventually be fitted with customer's propriety designed physical shielding to prevent Tempest emanations. Prior to any encryption, the data (that is scheduled for the encryption process) must be processed by the OS prior to the OS calling the encryption software. Unsecured DRAM memory modules can give away those data via Tempest emanations when they hold the data. Memory modules are the weakest links inside any PC simply because literally every actions takes place in memory. Outside the PC, it is the keyboard. We do not know what these physical shielding look like, although I do have pretty good ideas.

Getting into the technical side of spycraft a la 'Bond, James Bond', a human attacker can carry a highly directional antenna small enough to be barely noticeable inside the coin pocket of a Levi's 505 jeans and receive as much as his device can carry. Stand/sit next to a suspect PC and if that PC is Tempest unsecured, he can get a lot of unencrypted information prior to that information being masked. Rumors has it that semicon giant Samsung lost a boatload of IP data through a device similar and said device had its origin with Toshiba. :D

sgt_schulz_nothing.jpg

You and I know that while it is nice to have %100 of whatever, for SIGINT and ELINT, even half of that whatever would be good enough.

Nuclear fusion。Solve the world's energy and pollution problem once and for all。

China is moving fast on all fronts for the Man-Made Sun。:enjoy:

Our current renewable energy technologies are just a transition phase. The ultimate solution for the world's energy problems will definitely be the fusion reactors.

As I've stated many times before, this is the most important part of the China's development. Asian nations wants to develop with scientific achievements. This scientific achievements will be fruitful for the rest of the world. Unipolar world brought nothing but problems.

Think of the US when it was in competition with USSR, always trying to achieve, always hungry for the new scientific edge. Right now it's stagnating. Competition itself will push US more for the scientific achievements. Besides with it's huge potentials China will bring extremely innovative solutions to the current problems of the World.

EVE Serenity……I was one of them in that battle.:cheers:
Four years ago, i ever was a captain in EVE international server ... only few months too busy to play EVE. The funny thing is im a good dealer to earn $100 by selling ships in different universe.

super high energy pulse... shoot down Mach 4 aircraft will not be a dream!!!
:victory:

Back
Top Bottom