What's new

China won't 'relax' Taiwan's suppression

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China won't 'relax' Taiwan's suppression

President Chen Shui-bian said yesterday that China will not relax its suppression of Taiwan when the country's new president is elected next year.
Chen said China's diplomatic suppression of Taiwan has been consistent irrespective of which political party is in power and it is unlikely to change with a new president.

The president's remarks came in a news release as Foreign Affairs Minister James Huang announced earlier that day the decision to sever diplomatic relations with Costa Rica after the Central American country switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing, ending a 63-year diplomatic relationship.

Chen said the changes in diplomatic ties with Costa Rica did not come as a surprise, noting that there were warning signs in that Costa Rican President Oscar Arias met with then-Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing during last year's United Nations meeting in September, while Costa Rica opposed Taiwan's bid to gain membership in the World Health Organization (WHO) during this year's World Health Assembly conference last month.

The president said that in addition to stepping up its military threat against Taiwan, China has also used every means to block and contain the country diplomatically.

"China is attempting to blot Taiwan out of the international community completely by luring away all its diplomatic allies, containing any maneuvering space of Taiwan and squeezing all its bargaining chips in negotiations," Chen said.

He also said that faced with the suppression, isolation and downgrading attempts by China, he has "engaged in diplomatic battles with China daily" since first assuming the presidency in 2000.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/111766.htm

Chen is never a veracious politician,he looks more like an actor.

Among all the leaders in taiwan, Chen has gone farthest in Taiwan independence out of China. It was during his tenure that the Taiwan Straits fell in tension. he tires hard to pull in USA to this regionally events and then constantly implement unilateral provoking,hence being called "trouble maker" by the US government.

Chen is putting up his last ditch before gun time, there would be never a chance for him to bluff it out like he did the gun shot 8 years ago. the next president will be selected between Xiechangting(Democratic Progressive Party,the green group) and Mayingjiu (nationalist party,the blue group), either one calls for peaceful negotiation instead of independing appeals. and that's what the mainland would like to see.

Taiwan has been limpingly keeping diplomatic relations with 24 countries, most are located in Central America and distant islands in the Pacific, which you can hardly recall their names. money is the only tie.

Nicaragua would like to jump over to China on the premise that China build them a canal, which China refused.

Well taiwan definitly has more in say on its affair's than china,

Well taiwan definitly has more in say on its affair's than china,

Everyone knows "Taiwan problem" cause of China's civil war in 1949.Taiwan is a province of China.No one Chinese leader can take the responsibility of Taiwan independence.
One day an indian state wants to independence,I will be glad to hear "Well XXX definitly has more in say on its affairs than india"

China suppresses Taiwan and Pakistan buys more and more arms and loans from them.
Sri Lanks fights ' tigers fighting for homeland' and Pakistan helps them from bombs and planes.
Sudan is accussed of darfur slaughter and Pakistan signs a security agreement with them.

And then they themselves arms and helps Kashmiri militants. Why? Bcoz they are muslims and are fighting for their rights against India.

Realpolitik or hypocrysy.

Everyone knows "Taiwan problem" cause of China's civil war in 1949.Taiwan is a province of China.No one Chinese leader can take the responsibility of Taiwan independence.
One day an indian state wants to independence,I will be glad to hear "Well XXX definitly has more in say on its affairs than india"

Actually China Belongs to Taiwan, it is the other way around my friend.
I dont taiwan has ever made students kill their teachers, and kids their parents.

Sri Lanks fights ' tigers fighting for homeland' and Pakistan helps them from bombs and planes.

Bull, I guess India had something to do with Tamil Tigers, which was boosted by claims from India's Tamil Nadu, such as training and air drops in 1987. and what's more, the then commissioner of India in Colombo (Dick something) was privately called "Sri Lanka viceroy" by Indian politicians. but I'm not sure of this.

Bull, I guess India had something to do with Tamil Tigers, which was boosted by claims from India's Tamil Nadu, such as training and air drops in 1987. and what's more, the then commissioner of India in Colombo (Dick something) was privately called "Sri Lanka viceroy" by Indian politicians. but I'm not sure of this.

Ok even if i accept it, that doesnt change the fact that LTTE is fighting for freedom and Pakistan is helping Sl crush the freedom fighters. Thats the same with China and Taiwan. Taiwan is a free country and China publicly threatens it yet Pakistan gets aid from China. Sudan is notorious for its darfur crimes and Pakistan goes ahead with arms agreement.

All this at a time when Pakistan claims to be supporting the terrorists in Kashmir only bcoz 'they are fighting for freedom'. The above said three cases of Pakistan int'l actions makes it clear their interest in helping terrorists has nothing to do with any morales but just plain real politik.

China's political conversion to communism caused the devide between mainland China and Taiwan, otherwise both nations belong to a homogenous race and share lingual, historical and cultural ties.

Today China is as capitalist as the USA and opening up to the world. Once communism comes to fall to make place for democracy Taiwan will lose worlds support and the right to exisit as a souverign country.

I support One China theory. :china:

China wont go for a millitary campaign rather slow demographical mix.

I also support one China policy as long as stop bullying a weak nation like us...;)

Hey, dont leave me out.

I support the one China theory too. The China that exists in Taiwan Islands.:smokin:

Ok even if i accept it, that doesnt change the fact that LTTE is fighting for freedom and Pakistan is helping Sl crush the freedom fighters. Thats the same with China and Taiwan. Taiwan is a free country and China publicly threatens it yet Pakistan gets aid from China. Sudan is notorious for its darfur crimes and Pakistan goes ahead with arms agreement.

China and Taiwan are one nation,two govs.Taiwan defined a province of Republic Of China in Taiwan's constitution.Taiwan has never been a country.About 20% people in Taiwan support independence and less 20% support unification.Force is the final way of anti division.

Actually China Belongs to Taiwan, it is the other way around my friend.

That's right.Both Taiwan and mainland belong to China.
As for us,ROC means a former gov.Actually I don't care our country named PRC or ROC.

yes you'r true government, PRC is no less than a dictatorship.

yes PRC is a dictatorship at present.so what?we just care whether the gov do well.Taiwan and South Korea are good examples to achieve democracy.I don't think there are any successful democratic examples in the developing world.

Back
Top Bottom