What's new

China Wins Second in 4x100 Meters Relay Final at the World Championships in Beijing

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China Wins Second in 4x100 Meters Relay Final at the World Championships in Beijing

CHINA-IAAF-CHAMPIONSHIPS.jpg

China's (L-R) Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue pose with their country's flag after taking second in the 4x100 meters relay final at the IAAF World Championships being hosted by Beijing on August 29, 2015. Jamaica won with a time of 37.36 seconds, followed by China (38.01) and Canada (38.13) in third. USA was disqualified. Photo by Stephen Shaver/UPI

China Wins Second in 4x100 Meters Relay Final at the World Championships in Beijing - UPI.com

Chinese men set Asian record on way to worlds final after nearly 30 years

2015-08-29 14:04:55 | Editor: Song Miou

134567738_14408285882681n.jpg

(From L to R)China's Mo Youxue, Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian and Zhang Peimeng pose after setting a new Asian record after the heats of the men's 4x100m relay at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. (Xinhua/Li Gang)

BEIJING, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- Chinese male runners Saturday broke into the world championships 4x100m relay final after 28 year and set an Asian record.

In the 4x100m heats, the Chinese relay team, consisting of Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng, Xie Zhenye and Mo Youxue, finished fourth in 37.92 seconds, shaving 0.07 off their previous Asian best set in the Asian Games last year, to qualify for the world championships final for the first time.

Defending champion Jamaica was first in the heats in 37.41 while France, the United States, Antigua &Barbuda, Canada, Britain and Germany entered this evening's final.

In 2013 Moscow world championships, China finished a distant 16th in the heats. Last time a Chinese team appeared in the final was in 1987 in Rome, Italy when they finished eighth in 39.93 and the United States took gold in 37.90.

"The atmosphere here in the stadium was great today and that helped us to perfom as well as we did," said Zhang who ran the 4th leg.

Su, who became the first Chinese to run the blue-ribbon 100m final at the world championships on Sunday, believed they could do even better in the final.

"I think our team performed overall was good but there is still room for improvement. So hopefully in the final we can give a better performance and it should be possible to be stronger in the evening," said the 26-year-old.

Related:

Host China wins first gold at Beijing athletics worlds

BEIJING, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Host China finally got a gold medal at the world athletics championships as world record holder Liu Hong won the women's 20km race walk title here in Beijing on Friday.

Liu, who claimed the gold with a time of 1 hour 27 minutes and 45 seconds, had her efforts paid off after winning world championships bronze in 2009, silver in 2011 and then another bronze two years ago in Moscow. Full Story

Chinese men set Asian record on way to worlds final after nearly 30 years - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.59.20 PM.jpg

US 2nd place finish disqualified due to a bungled final baton pass (took too long)
China is awarded second place instead of 3rd.

Last edited:
Chinese men set Asian record on way to worlds final after nearly 30 years

2015-08-29 14:04:55 | Editor: Song Miou

134567738_14408285882681n.jpg

(From L to R)China's Mo Youxue, Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian and Zhang Peimeng pose after setting a new Asian record after the heats of the men's 4x100m relay at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. (Xinhua/Li Gang)

BEIJING, Aug. 29 (Xinhua) -- Chinese male runners Saturday broke into the world championships 4x100m relay final after 28 year and set an Asian record.

In the 4x100m heats, the Chinese relay team, consisting of Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng, Xie Zhenye and Mo Youxue, finished fourth in 37.92 seconds, shaving 0.07 off their previous Asian best set in the Asian Games last year, to qualify for the world championships final for the first time.

Defending champion Jamaica was first in the heats in 37.41 while France, the United States, Antigua &Barbuda, Canada, Britain and Germany entered this evening's final.

In 2013 Moscow world championships, China finished a distant 16th in the heats. Last time a Chinese team appeared in the final was in 1987 in Rome, Italy when they finished eighth in 39.93 and the United States took gold in 37.90.

"The atmosphere here in the stadium was great today and that helped us to perfom as well as we did," said Zhang who ran the 4th leg.

Su, who became the first Chinese to run the blue-ribbon 100m final at the world championships on Sunday, believed they could do even better in the final.

"I think our team performed overall was good but there is still room for improvement. So hopefully in the final we can give a better performance and it should be possible to be stronger in the evening," said the 26-year-old.

Related:

Host China wins first gold at Beijing athletics worlds

BEIJING, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- Host China finally got a gold medal at the world athletics championships as world record holder Liu Hong won the women's 20km race walk title here in Beijing on Friday.

Liu, who claimed the gold with a time of 1 hour 27 minutes and 45 seconds, had her efforts paid off after winning world championships bronze in 2009, silver in 2011 and then another bronze two years ago in Moscow. Full Story

Chinese men set Asian record on way to worlds final after nearly 30 years - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Very nice and deserved achievement.

@Keel

China's Zhang Peimeng (L) sprints during the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Yue Yuewei)

China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.

China's Zhang Peimeng celebrates after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Gong Lei)

(From L to R) China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

(From L to R)China's Su Bingtian, Xie Zhenye, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. China ranked 2nd after the United States was disqualified.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

China's Zhang Peimeng celebrates after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

(From L to R) China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. China ranked 2nd after the United States was disqualified. (Xinhua/Cao Can)

China's Fantastic 4 take historic silver in 4x100m
August 29, 2015

001ec949ffa0174c9ed901.jpg

China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. China ranked 2nd after the United States was disqualified. [Xinhua/Wang Lili]

The Chinese men's relay team worked miracle on Saturday evening when they captured a historic 4x100m relay silver medal.

The team became the very superstars of the Bird's Nest Stadium, stealing much of the thunder of Jamaica which defended the title in 37.36 seconds with Usain Bolt running the last leg.

When the Chinese sprinters celebrated their unprecedented bronze medal after a 38.01-second finish, they found themselves promoted to second place as the United States was disqualified for exchanging the baton out of zone. Canada was lifted to third in 38.13.

Led by two of the fastest men in Asia - Su Bingtian and Zhang Peimeng, the Chinese quartet started on the ninth lane. Mo Youxue and Xie Zhenye kept pace with the other teams while birthday boy Su improved their position to fourth in the third leg. Zhang edged past Canada's J. Warner in the final meters.

As they did a lap of honor, Su, turning 26 Saturday, was greeted with a happy birthday chorus by the capacity National Stadium.

"This is the moment of life. Can you imagine that 80,000 people sang birthday song to me?" said Su, the first Chinese to reach the world men's 100m final and clock 9.99 seconds.

"I had never thought of winning a silver medal. I told my teammates that we should be just as relaxed in the final as in training because we already made history by reaching the final."

"We have been training very hard to make four people as one. We practiced baton exchange every day since this May," he added.

Zhang, previous national record holder, anchored China's charge to the podium.

"I went all out. We made history," he said.

"I was under huge pressure when I took the baton from Su Bingtian. I felt like we were closer to a medal and I surely did not want to be the one who squandered our opportunity."

The good sign already emerged in the morning heats where China finished fourth overall in 37.92 seconds, shaving 0.07 off their previous Asian best set in last year's Asian Games. Last time a Chinese team appeared in the final was in 1987 in Rome where they finished eighth in 39.93.

China's silver finish was watched by former Olympic and world 110m hurdles champion Liu Xiang.

"I am so happy for them. They created history," said China's most famous athlete who retired early this year. "I know they have been working extremely hard and they brought out every bit of their potential. They deserved what they won."

Very nice and deserved achievement.

@Keel

China's Zhang Peimeng (L) sprints during the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Yue Yuewei)

China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.

China's Zhang Peimeng celebrates after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Gong Lei)

(From L to R) China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

(From L to R)China's Su Bingtian, Xie Zhenye, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. China ranked 2nd after the United States was disqualified.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

China's Zhang Peimeng celebrates after winning the second place of the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015.(Xinhua/Wang Haofei)

(From L to R) China's Xie Zhenye, Su Bingtian, Zhang Peimeng and Mo Youxue celebrate after the men's 4x100m relay final at the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing, capital of China, Aug. 29, 2015. China ranked 2nd after the United States was disqualified. (Xinhua/Cao Can)

Thanks @TaiShang

It was an historical achievement for our sprinters in a world class event
Congratulations to our boys!
Proud of you!

This is a great event to watch as I said in post # 32 of the PDF link when we broke the Asian Record in S Korea last year as shown in the pic that follows

The first Asian-born athlete to make the final of IAAF World Championships | Page 3

1412254076330.jpg

Here a vid to celebrate this great achievement by our athletes

2015田径世锦赛第8比赛日 - 高清在线观看 - 腾讯视频

ps this is a wrong section to have this thread posted

Thanks @TaiShang

It was an historical achievement for our sprinters in a world class event
Congratulations to our boys!
Proud of you!

This is a great event to watch as I said in post # 32 of the PDF link when we broke the Asian Record in S Korea last year as shown in the pic that follows

The first Asian-born athlete to make the final of IAAF World Championships | Page 3

1412254076330.jpg

Here a vid to celebrate this great achievement by our athletes

2015田径世锦赛第8比赛日 - 高清在线观看 - 腾讯视频

ps this is a wrong section to have this thread posted

Chinese are a very fit, healthy, athletic and physically appealing people. Not only is China a superpower but is set to become an international sporting powerhouse.

Chinese are a very fit, healthy, athletic and physically appealing people. Not only is China a superpower but is set to become an international sporting powerhouse.

Thanks
G Br also have a fantastic performance
Congrats!

Thank you. But I believe that in the future China will dominate Athletics. China and America will be vying for number 1 spot. Will raise the Chinese flag myself.

Thank you for your trust in China but we still have many kilometers to go before we are in the same league as the Jamaicans and other countries which are traditional powerhouses in track and field!

images

:china:
Thank you for your trust in China but we still have many kilometers to go before we are in the same league as the Jamaicans and other countries which are traditional powerhouses in track and field!

images

But I know from the bottom of my heart, China will definitely get there. As a Patriotic Pakistani, I love China from the bottom of my heart just as I love Pakistan. I believe in China.

:china:

But I know from the bottom of my heart, China will definitely get there. As a Patriotic Pakistani, I love China from the bottom of my heart just as I love Pakistan. I believe in China.

Mutual Sir!
China has the greatest friends in YOU!

111121-39.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom