What's new

China to back India’s UNSC bid

Mahakaya

BANNED
Reaction score
China to back India?s UNSC bid: Report

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Indicative of the new found warmth in the relations between the two countries, China on Wednesday assured India that it will support its bid for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

The assurance was given to External Affairs Minister SM Krishna, who is on a four-day visit to Beijing, by the Chinese in response to his assertion that its time China "reviews" its policies on UN reforms to "welcome" its neighbour to the group.

The development is very significant as the Chinese have been, historically, very reluctant to induct other emerging superpowers into the elite club of world’s most powerful nations.

They have been saying that they support India's aspirations to play an important role at the UN, but want an overall reform of the world body. China has also not backed Japan, the other Asian contender for a permanent UNSC seat.

Surely, China’s change of stance holds great promise for New Delhi in its quest to find a foothold in the global high stakes game. It also demonstrates the new found willingness within the Chinese establishment to move ahead and increase the level of engagement with its biggest neighbour.

Besides the understanding on the India’s UNSC bid, both countries have agreed to establish a hotline between Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh and Wen Jiabao.

They have also made "considerable progress" on the boundary question, as both the sides have decided to adopt a patient approach and show maturity in dealing with outstanding issues.

In Krishna’s words: “There is unprecedented engagement between India and China on many fronts whether it be in trade and commerce, high level political interaction, contact between our defence establishments, cultural exchange, education, tourism and the environment.”

"Although unprecedented, this is but a fraction of what we can do together. Sixty years marks a full cycle in the Chinese calendar. In India too, attaining the age of sixty has a special meaning and significance,” he said at a reception here hosted to mark the 60th anniversary of diplomatic ties between the two countries.

The meeting comes in backdrop of months of wrangling between the Asian superpowers over a host of issues. China had lately been adopting a belligerent stance on the vexed border dispute, and had even made incursions in Arunachal and Ladakh area of J&K. China had also made a very controversial move by issuing stapled visa to Indian national from J&K, whereby indicating it as a disputed region.

:cheers:

This seems to be pretty encouraging. However, it remains to be seen whether all the talk is actually converted to action.

Further, what kind of implication would this have on our neighbours other than China. Also, why would China want to back us, if they consider us strategic rivals.

There is more than what meets the eye here - did we promise something?

Hmmmm.....lets wait and watch!

Now this is very interesting, I always knew China would Abstain,
But to openly cast a vote in favour, that is unexpected.

I wonder what the future hold now,

So what's that

China - Check

Russia -Check

The Hindu : News / National : Russia supports India’s claim for permanent UNSC seat

Dmitry_Medvedev_in_India_4-5_December_2008-13.jpg

France - Check

Sarkozy favours a permanent UNSC seat for India

30nlook2.jpg

Britain -Check

USA - ???

Bush favours UNSC seat for India - The Times of India

But Bush is gone what does OBAMA think ?

Is HE ready to take this walk for real.

Cross_hall_India_USA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is very interesting, I always knew China would Abstain,
But to openly cast a vote in favour, that is unexpected.

I wonder what the future hold now,

So what's that

China - Check

India+China+flags.bmp

Russia -Check

The Hindu : News / National : Russia supports India’s claim for permanent UNSC seat

France - Check

Sarkozy favours a permanent UNSC seat for India

Britain -Check

YouTube - UK will support India's UNSC seat bid: Brown

USA - ???

Bush favours UNSC seat for India - The Times of India

But Bush is gone what does OBAMA think ?

I think we are getting the ability to flex our muscle more by the day!

But still OBAMA has already risked all that the Bush administration had worked for with India. Lets see how Obama reacts to this, but I think sooner or later even the USofA will fall in line. A little more coaxing is required either by treating them nicely or if not then using the economic ties with them - Eg You SAY YES ELSE WE WILL RELEGATE YOU TO THE SMALLEST % gains OF DEFENSE PURCHASES!

If the number of permanent seats in UNSC are increased to 10 as suggested in 2004, India would definitely be a permanent member along with Brazil, Germany, Japan, Egypt and some arab country.

It would be amazing if we become a VETO power. Its gonna happen some day for sure. They can't keep us far for long. :devil:

I think we are getting the ability to flex our muscle more by the day!

But still OBAMA has already risked all that the Bush administration had worked for with India. Lets see how Obama reacts to this, but I think sooner or later even the USofA will fall in line. A little more coaxing is required either by treating them nicely or if not then using the economic ties with them - Eg You SAY YES ELSE WE WILL RELEGATE YOU TO THE SMALLEST % gains OF DEFENSE PURCHASES!

Well, he hasn't risked anything.

There is stagnation i admit.

But in perspective The NSG waver the US helped us get , is one of a kind. Its no always take, May be its time for Us take the Lead in the Relations.

We can blame it all on the dude who's had his hands full passing the health care bill.

Something nearly every democratic president has failed to do till now.

Lets see, its not as if its going backwards , its just that the Gear in now in Park.

Although Britain, France, Russia and China have agreed to support India’s candidature for UN Security Council, there is no question that the support of the U.S. is necessary. India should convince US that a seat for India would make the body more representative and democratic. However I doubt this is easy. Knowing US, they are certainly to ask other concessions

Does any one know: Is this "backing" for India as a permanent member of the UNSC is in the context of (1) a larger (more permanent members, same number of rotating members) UNSC and (2) India being a permanent but not a veto-holding UNSC member?

Last edited:
Does any one know: Is this "backing" for India as a permanent member of the UNSC in the context of (1) a larger (more permanent members, same number of rotating members) UNSC and (2) India being a permanent but not a veto-holding UNSC member?

India already cleared her stance.
NO UNSC SEAT WITHOUT VETO.

Does any one know: Is this "backing" for India as a permanent member of the UNSC in the context of (1) a larger (more permanent members, same number of rotating members) UNSC and (2) India being a permanent but not a veto-holding UNSC member?

From the op

China on Wednesday assured India that it will support its bid for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council

The same is true for France, UK and obviously Russia.

I have posted articles, to these nations in my above post.

The Only nation that has not declared its intentions is US of A

The US has declared its intentions on expanding the council but has yet to mention India by name

Back
Top Bottom