What's new

China Takes Lead In Race for Clean Nuclear Power

China Initiates Thorium MSR Project

The People’s Republic of China has initiated a research and development project in thorium molten-salt reactor technology, it was announced in the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) annual conference on Tuesday, January 25. An article in the Wenhui News followed on Wednesday (Google English translation). Chinese researchers also announced this development on the Energy from Thorium Discussion Forum.

W020110125451996388012.jpg

Led by Dr. Jiang Mianheng, a graduate of Drexel University in electrical engineering, the thorium MSR efforts aims not only to develop the technology but to secure intellectual property rights to its implementation.

W020110125467338916641.jpg

This may be one of the reasons that China have not joined the international Gen-IV effort for MSR development, since part of that involves technology exchange. Neither the US nor Russia have joined the MSR Gen-IV effort either.

A Chinese delegation led by Dr. Jiang travelled to Oak Ridge National Lab last fall to learn more about MSR technology and told lab leadership of their plans to develop a thorium-fueled MSR.

The Chinese also recognize that a thorium-fueled MSR is best run with uranium-233 fuel, which inevitably contains impurities (uranium-232 and its decay products) that preclude its use in nuclear weapons. Operating an MSR on the “pure” fuel cycle of thorium and uranium-233 means that a breakeven conversion ratio can be achieved, and after being started on uranium-233, only thorium is required for indefinite operation and power generation.

thoriumCycleNielsen.gif

Currently there is no US effort to develop a thorium MSR. There has been a grass-roots effort underway for over five years to change this. The formation of the Thorium Energy Alliance and the International Thorium Energy Organization have been attempts to convince governmental and industrial leaders to carefully consider the potential of thorium in a liquid-fluoride reactor. There have been many international participants in the TEA and IThEO conferences, but none from China.

pf_chine-mineur_040107_400.jpg

Chinese energy demand is growing rapidly, and despite the world’s largest campaign of new nuclear construction, the vast majority of Chinese power generation still comes from fossil fuels. China has abundant supplies of coal, but their combustion has led to some of the worst air quality in the world. The ability of thorium MSRs to operate at atmospheric pressure and with simplified safety systems means that these reactors could be built in factories and mass-produced. They could then be shipped to operational sites with standard transportation. Their thorium fuel is compact and inexpensive. Chinese rare-earth miners have been rumored to have been stockpiling thorium from rare-earth mining for years, and if this is true, the Chinese will have hundreds of thousands of years of thorium already mined and available for use.

The Chinese now have the largest national effort to develop thorium molten-salt reactors. Whether other nations will follow is an open question.

Wow in 20 years time even the USA has to import nuclear reactors from china , Good news for china and pakistan , bad news for india

For what buddy,this headline is misleading,it is not China it is India which is leading in Thorium research.

We already have 11 operational reactors

Kamini,Dhruva,Cirus,KAPS 1and 2,KGS 1 and 2,RAPS 2,3 and 4,FBTR.

According to American estimate in 2010,US itself has the world's largest thorium reserve amounting to some 440 thousand tonne,India is on 3rd position with some 300,000 tonne.

According to IAEA estimate 2005,US is placed on 4th position with 137,000 tonne in Reasonably Assured Reserves and also at 4th place with 295,000 tonne in Estimated Additional Reserves.

Meanwhile India is placed on 3rd position with 319,000 in Reasonably Assured Reserves.

China do not figure in any of the list.

Its good that China is moving fast and acquiring new technologies fast,but dont think u r giving a lot of face palm for another nation's:disagree:

Hope a Travelling wave reactor can also start up...we have enough Depleted Uranium to do it.

Rather than trying to hijack the thread with Indian stories, I would appreciate that you go and start up on a new thread for discussions about the Indian lead thorium reactor development that was supposed to be world first? Be credible and not incredible.

By the way, the Indian effort is a solid fuel reactor not a molten salt one. Using a thorium molten salt reactor lets you achieve isobreeding (once started no enrichment services are required), and it lets you burn up the actinides (which are the most troublesome waste products if you bury them). The technologies are quite different.

Last edited:
Rather than trying to hijack the thread with Indian stories, I would appreciate that you go and start up on a new thread for discussions about the Indian lead thorium reactor development that was supposed to be world first? Be credible and not incredible.

By the way, the Indian effort is a solid fuel reactor not a molten salt one. Using a thorium molten salt reactor lets you achieve isobreeding (once started no enrichment services are required), and it lets you burn up the actinides (which are the most troublesome waste products if you bury them). The technologies are quite different.

Did you manage to actually research what I was trying to say....did you even read what I have written?...Travelling wave reactor is the one which dosent need to be refuelled for 50 to 100 years once it goes critical.

I dont care wether India, China, USA or any other country does anything. All I need is a clean source of energy.

And MSR reactors have been in existence since 1960. So you can read about Aviation Reactor and other reactors developed in 1960.

I was just explaining an other advantageous source than the MSR.

Did you manage to actually research what I was trying to say....did you even read what I have written?...Travelling wave reactor is the one which dosent need to be refuelled for 50 to 100 years once it goes critical.

I dont care wether India, China, USA or any other country does anything. All I need is a clean source of energy.

And MSR reactors have been in existence since 1960. So you can read about Aviation Reactor and other reactors developed in 1960.

I was just explaining an other advantageous source than the MSR.

Your hope for whatever technology to start up is non of my concern.

I was mainly referring to the other pro India posters. I don't care about, research projects, past projects which was cancelled or what happens tomorrow etc. What matters is now China is leading on this technology.

In regards to clean energy, there are no 100% clean energy. It can only be improved upon, limiting the pollution, but it can never be 100% clean.

Anti Chinese haters should start a new thread with credible sources of the said technology and India's involvement. This way we can see for ourselves and discuss it properly without the pointless arguments about who is first, who is superior etc.

Last edited:
Why is China pursuing a Thorium based fuel cycle ? (doesn't it have lots of Uranium in inner Mongolia ?).

For India it makes sense, for China :confused: ?

For reasons already stated in the article i.e:

Safety
Clean
Abundant fuel sources
Ability to consume various fuel types including nuclear waste.
By-products unsuitable for making weapons (so politically easier to export tech).

While nearly all current nuclear reactors run on uranium, the radioactive element thorium is recognized as a safer, cleaner and more abundant alternative fuel. Thorium is particularly well-suited for use in molten-salt reactors, or MSRs. Nuclear reactions take place inside a fluid core rather than solid fuel rods, and there’s no risk of meltdown.

In addition to their safety, MSRs can consume various nuclear-fuel types, including existing stocks of nuclear waste. Their byproducts are unsuitable for making weapons of any type. They can also operate as breeders, producing more fuel than they consume.

Your hope for whatever technology to start up is non of my concern.

I was mainly referring to the other pro India posters. I don't care about, research projects, past projects which was cancelled or what happens tomorrow etc. What matters is now China is leading on this technology.

In regards to clean energy, there are no 100% clean energy. It can only be improved upon, limiting the pollution, but it can never be 100% clean.

Anti Chinese haters should start a new thread with credible sources of the said technology and India's involvement. This way we can see for ourselves and discuss it properly without the pointless arguments about who is first, who is superior etc.

Some of u urself invite us then cry like a victim about spoiling and trolling.

Originally Posted by ChinaToday
Wow in 20 years time even the USA has to import nuclear reactors from china , Good news for china and pakistan , bad news for india

By the way china is not leading this field,ur program e had even not started,first achieve it and brag about it,golden Chinese words itself.

Some of u urself invite us then cry like a victim about spoiling and trolling.

Firstly no one invited you, you simply gate crashed with stupid Indian stories that we don't even care about. Who's the one always comparing themselves with Chinese? If you want people to take you and your country seriously then start acting like an adult.

Words to glorify your country means nothing when the best you can do is to troll. Learn to back up your claims with credible sources. Whether you like it or not, China beat you guys to this one, just like how we put a man into space before you guys, so live with it. :china:

why wont chinese corroborative with other nations on this?

Because it involves technology and there's money to be made. So long the west tries to keep its technological advantage with the embargo, Chinese too can play the same game =)

They do, they're just pretending not to! There are Chinese who work on U.S. commercial and U.S. government nuclear projects and the Chinese gov't solicits U.S. companies for reactor designs and checks out declassified projects for old research. But some of these same Chinese have claimed to my face, "We Chinese do it all ourselves!" The non-Chinese whose experience, guidance, and intellectual labor make their own accomplishments possible is not something these Chinese care to discuss much.

The molten salt reactor design has been kicked around for about sixty years. A lot of work has been done on it, and a lot of basic engineering research was done - like tables of the corrosivity of molten thorium salts and the best alloys to resist it. That sort of research took over a decade.

There were three reasons I know of why the molten salt reactor was not pursued from 1975-2005: uranium became cheaper as more deposits were found, military experience with pressurized-water reactors and the not-so-different-from-conventional-powerplant boiling-water reactors made these designs more attractive, and the molten-salt reactor had operational problems with tritium production that had not been licked. But in 2006 Northamerican Energy revived the idea with support from the U.S. Dept. of Energy: link

Back
Top Bottom